RV

illead
illead Member Posts: 884 Member

I started a new subject because I didn't want to take up any serious space.  We have a 30 foot Cameo with one big slide out.  You won't believe this but we bought it on Ebay. (2000) We knew we wanted a Cameo and this was brand new and never been used.  The guy was going to retire and live in it in Alaska but got an offer he could not refuse to work again.  So we bought it sight unseen except for pictures.  It was in Crossville TN.  We had to buy a new truck to haul it and set off from CA.  Went the Northern route to TN and the southern route to return.   It was exactly what we wanted and more.  We sure have the stories tho, like the time I told Bill to turn wrongly and we ended up crossing the Mississippi River in a driving rain storm in the pitch black (we don't have those in CA).  Then we had to turn around and drive back over with semis on our tale and in front of us drenching us with more water.  It was harrowing.  We made it though and had a great trip.  Hey Max you and Bill should be brothers.  He loves bikes.  He has a '73 Goldwing that is in pieces in the garage.  Shows what a nice guy he is that he didn't put it first on his to do list.  BTW, I have a funny story that I won't let him live down.  Mind you, I am not a petite little thing....by far!  So before he got the Goldwing, he saw a bike for sale, so we stopped to look at it and he said "why don't you get on the back and see how it feels?"  I said "I'm going to have to lose a lot of weight before I get my fat #$$% on a bike"  He looked at me in all seriousness and excitedly said " Really, how long do you think that would take?" UndecidedLaughing Anyway, we'll let you know how our trip is going.  We used to take our kids to Harris Beach every summer (in an old TT) and it has probably been over 10 yrs since we have been back.  We drive through the redwoods to get there, it is beautiful.

Wishing everyone well.

B&B

Comments

• Jeff148
    Jeff148 Member Posts: 184
    Lucky!!

I'd love to have a real RV. We have a tent trailer that is pretty small. I put it out in the driveway during the summer for the kids to have sleep overs. On stormy nights, my family would sleep in it to hear all the rain and wind. My wife and I would like to get a class C motorhome someday. That is the RV with the bed over the front seats. All this RV talk has me wanting to go camping!!

• givingrace
    givingrace Member Posts: 161
    That's some great stories

That's some great stories B&B. I have a confession...

I really don't know much about living, traveling in a 5th wheel as an independent. My best friend has one and I watch and listen to her alot and my boyfriend has owned a few and remodeled a few and my brother in law works at a rv place. So I have all the right people in my court. All of them think me doing RV life doesn't sound crazy but a good idea for "me", my mind , my free spirit and my soul. I am investigating a tiny house on a flat bed too. It's amazing what you can do with intentional living. I just have a compass that hasn't quite stopped yet. I'm hoping by Thanksgiving I will be settled on a plan.

GG

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    wow

Such a cool story Becky. When we were kids we made a road trip every summer from SC to middle Kansas. This was the 60s, and the hippies were all over the highways on their choppers, it was real-life Easy Rider.  The Inerstate system was primitive then and it seems we were always on secondary roads.

My uncle in Kansas in the early 70s bought a new GMC Palm Beach motor home when they first came out, and built a building to keep  it in. The folks in that tiny little town could not believe it.  (A few years later he bought a Cessna Citation II jet and totally freaked them out !)  I did not even think Honda had intoduced the Gold Wing in 73, must have been the very first year. Restored it would be worth something I would think.  

PS:  Checked Wilki, which claims the first generation Gold Wing was a 1974. They have been wrong before, but either way that is the very first year GL model that Bill has and restored would be of significant value.  Only a professional bike restoration business would do it right. Most of those are in CA. For 10k a 73 would probably triple in value for a collector, so it would be an investment.  If you watch th he series "Pickers" on cable TV (about guys who travel the country buying rare antiques) you know that barn-find bikes are one of their favorites.

Happy trails !

• illead
    wrong again

Hi Max,

I just asked Bill and he said it is a '75.  He says he thinks there are a lot of those around though.  Actually it is very good condition, just not running, brakes and air shocks leaking, that's what he told me, I'm no expert.  Bet your uncle was all you kid's idol, he sounds like a great guy, that's a good story.  Remember John's (who used to be on here) Frown Cobra?  I checked it out on his page and it was cool too.  I'm still going to check out the Goldwing tho....who knows?

Hi GG,

Funny, I just read an article in a Sunset about a couple in Sebastapool CA who built a small trailer (mayber 12x20).  They live in it tho and don't travel with it but it is on a bed with wheels.  I gave the mag away but you can probably google it, it was a recent issue.  It was a short article but had some pics.  Happy dreaming, you'll get there.

Becky

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    illead said:

wrong again

Hi Max,

I just asked Bill and he said it is a '75.  He says he thinks there are a lot of those around though.  Actually it is very good condition, just not running, brakes and air shocks leaking, that's what he told me, I'm no expert.  Bet your uncle was all you kid's idol, he sounds like a great guy, that's a good story.  Remember John's (who used to be on here) Frown Cobra?  I checked it out on his page and it was cool too.  I'm still going to check out the Goldwing tho....who knows?

Hi GG,

Funny, I just read an article in a Sunset about a couple in Sebastapool CA who built a small trailer (mayber 12x20).  They live in it tho and don't travel with it but it is on a bed with wheels.  I gave the mag away but you can probably google it, it was a recent issue.  It was a short article but had some pics.  Happy dreaming, you'll get there.

Becky

Crusin'

Get it runnin, a stars and stripes bandana, and a Born Bad tattoo, and you should be ready for the road.

• illead

Crusin'

Get it runnin, a stars and stripes bandana, and a Born Bad tattoo, and you should be ready for the road.

We're on it

Wouldn't that be a picture?.......actually excrutiating Yell.....Aargh, I'll start the diet tomorrow LaughingLaughingLaughing