LUNG CANCER ADENOCARCINOMA

MARCIAG
MARCIAG Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I'M NEW TO ALL THIS. I'M RECUPERATING FROM A LOBECTOMY FOR STAGE 1A ADENOCARCINOMA. I"LL BE 50 NEXT WEEK & HAD NO SYMPTOMS WHATSOEVER.. I THINK I'M STILL IN SHOCK.. I'M TERRIFIED THAT IT WILL RE-APPEAR SOMEWHERE ELSE OR THE SOURCE HASN'T "SHOWN" ITSELF YET.. MY DRS ALL SAY I'M NOW A SURVIVOR AND THAT I'M "CURED" ... I'M STILL TERRIFIED .. I KNOW THAT I AM VERY LUCKY TO HAVE CAUGHT THIS IN AN EARLY STAGE.. ANY SUPPORT GROUPS FOR THIS TYPE OF CANCER IN NORTHERN NJ OR INPUT FROM OTHERS WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED!!!

Comments

• debber216
    debber216 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Marcia,
    My name is Debbie, I'm 50 as well, and next month will be 1 year since my diagnosis and surgery. I had the top and middle lobe of my right lung removed, because of the same type of cancer as you. I was staged IIIB because there were two tumors in the top lobe of my right lung, but there was no spread to the margins or lymph nodes. Like you, I was scared to death. So I hope I can help you not feel so scared. At the time they do the surgery, they can tell where the cancer started, or it's origin. So since you were staged 1A, like mine, there was no spread to surrounding tissue. Next, I know it's hard, but don't listen one bit to "statistics"!!! They're outdated, oldschool and only used for quidelines for the doctors to figure out the treatments. There's another support site that I belong to that's absolutely great!! You can do a search for: The LCA Survivors Community, or go to www.lungcancer.clinicahealth.com. There are many people there with alot of knowledge and experience. They will help you and support you, and even help you find answers to any questions you may have! Also, alot of people share their successes and stories of hope, that helped me so very much. Anyway Marcia, hang in there. Trust me, the fear will pass and it does get better and easier!! I hope this will help. Take care and God Bless. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Hugs. Deb
  • MadelynJoe
    MadelynJoe Member Posts: 96
    Dear Marcia:

I was diagnosed with NSCLC in May 0f 2005. I had surgery in June of 2005 to remove a 2.8cm lesion from my lower right lobe. I have been cancer free since that time.

I would encourage you to get an opinion from an oncologist regarding chemotherapy. Even though no further cancer was detectible in my body, I began adjuvant chemo in August 2005. Adjuvant is done to just make sure there are no remaining cancer cells in your body -- a precaution. I think you would be wise to consider this therapy.

Best regards,

Madelyn
  • beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member
    Hi Marcia,I was stage 2b and had my right lung and 17 lymph nodes removed(2 had been effected)in August 05.All my checkups since then have looked good.But I still worry about recurrence and probably always will but it is much better than it was. I was at a point where all I did was cry and worry,worry,worry.So doc put me on lexapro and it helped me tremendously.Im so happy you got it early.I hope and pray the best for you. I also reccommend lung cancer survivor community.Its very helpful and informitive on lung cancer.I also had chemo following my surgery but I dont know if they do that with stage 1a.
  • beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member

Hi Marcia,I was stage 2b and had my right lung and 17 lymph nodes removed(2 had been effected)in August 05.All my checkups since then have looked good.But I still worry about recurrence and probably always will but it is much better than it was. I was at a point where all I did was cry and worry,worry,worry.So doc put me on lexapro and it helped me tremendously.Im so happy you got it early.I hope and pray the best for you. I also reccommend lung cancer survivor community.Its very helpful and informitive on lung cancer.I also had chemo following my surgery but I dont know if they do that with stage 1a.

sorry Marcia,I printed the name of that site wrong. It is lung cancer support community.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi Marcia.
    I'm coming up on six years survivorship of NSCLC, 3b. I had the upper lobe of my right lung removed in October, '01, after chemo and radiation. I was 67 at the time.
    I believe that all survivors develop a degree of paranoia regarding recurrence. And who wouldn't, after going through that?
    The worry will subside, and may never go away completely, but that can be considered healthy. It leaves us with an awareness and we take better care of ourselves.
    My prayers and best wishes to you that you continue to be cancer free, and that you learn to relax and enjoy life once again.
    Ernie
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I live "next door" in Delaware, but way down below the canal. We have two sources of support groups in each county. The hospitals have some fairly good groups for different kinds of cancer. I understand that they have lots of medical issues discussed in those groups. We also have something called "The Wellness Community" in each county. This is a non-profit support community that can be found all over the US as well as on line. They offer free support groups for folks with cancer that deal with the emotional baggage primarily. They also have classes on recovery issues on various topics like pain relief, financial stress and cancer, yoga, nutrition for cancer patients, and so forth. I never heard of them until I had cancer. Of course the lung association and the American Cancer Society offer support too. I hope you find the support you need in your community.
  • MARCIAG
    MARCIAG Member Posts: 3
    cabbott said:

I live "next door" in Delaware, but way down below the canal. We have two sources of support groups in each county. The hospitals have some fairly good groups for different kinds of cancer. I understand that they have lots of medical issues discussed in those groups. We also have something called "The Wellness Community" in each county. This is a non-profit support community that can be found all over the US as well as on line. They offer free support groups for folks with cancer that deal with the emotional baggage primarily. They also have classes on recovery issues on various topics like pain relief, financial stress and cancer, yoga, nutrition for cancer patients, and so forth. I never heard of them until I had cancer. Of course the lung association and the American Cancer Society offer support too. I hope you find the support you need in your community.

thanks for the advise.. i will certainly look into teh wellness groups!!
    Stay well
  • NB215
    NB215 Member Posts: 4

Hi Marcia.
    I'm coming up on six years survivorship of NSCLC, 3b. I had the upper lobe of my right lung removed in October, '01, after chemo and radiation. I was 67 at the time.
    I believe that all survivors develop a degree of paranoia regarding recurrence. And who wouldn't, after going through that?
    The worry will subside, and may never go away completely, but that can be considered healthy. It leaves us with an awareness and we take better care of ourselves.
    My prayers and best wishes to you that you continue to be cancer free, and that you learn to relax and enjoy life once again.
    Ernie

My younger brother was recently diagnosed with I believe NLCS stage IIIB. The surgeon said surgery is not an option for him, it is a 6.8 cm tumore in the upper part of the lung. My family is totally new to cancer and I am trying to learn as much as possible to help him through this, and to help me understand alittle more. It's taken 2 months but he is finally starting treatment today. I know I am scared to death so I can't imagine what he's going through. I have made sure to tell him to stay away from all the satistics. Any info anyone can supply would be appreciated
  • lagobabe
    lagobabe Member Posts: 8
    Hi Marcia, I'm a 20 yr lung cancer survivor. I too had Adenocarcinoma in the very top of my left lung in 1987, they removed the top half of the lung. In 1991 I had large cell cancer in the top of my right lung and they removed a little better than a 4th of my lung. The first time the reason I went to the Dr.was because my feet were swelling, and the second time they found it on a routine x-ray. I'm sure you are probably going every 2 months for your check up and I can tell you even though its been 20 yrs I still get panicky every year when they look at my x rays, so I just figure thats normal. I do not dwell on what might happen though. I do exercise 4 days a week, and thats very important I think. If your Dr's say you are a survivor believe them as they wouldn't lie to you they like survivors. If you can find a support group it will surly help, there was none available when I was going through my stuff. I never had any chemo or radiation either. If I had it all to do over I would insist on at least 1 round .
    If I can be of any more help I have a web page under lagobabe.
    Good luck
    Oh by the way I was 53 when I had the first cancer and I'm almost 74 now, have had a wonderful live after the big C
  • melinda68
    melinda68 Member Posts: 22
    hi i am 46 i was originally

hi i am 46 i was originally diagnosed with carcinoid tumor and the doctor didnt think it was cancerous but since it was growing he felt it necessary to go in biopsy and remove the same time My surgery was May 2014 it wasnt until he got in there he discovered it was adenocarcinoma and cancer he had to unexpectedly (for me) remove 40 % of my right lung they said they got it all and it hadn't spread past the lung but i am still so worried and scared that it is somewhere else or will come back and further i'm having all these breathing problems and im not sure if its "NORMAL" or if something is wrong seems like the doctor just brushed me off and my family doesn't seem to understand i was also lucky to have found mine early it was stage 1