Care and feeding of the head...

GSRon
GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member

Hi All..!  Time for me to post on my latest "Care and feeding of the (my) head"...   So one of my main interests or is that obsessions, is having my bike race on the IOM.  I have been going almost every year to the IOM since 2000.  And last weekend was crunch time..  I did 3 all nighters in a row.. needless to say Monday I was out..!  But my bike made it to the shipper with about 10 minutes to spare..!!

I also do a "Shop Nite" on most Wednesday's..  one of my pal's (another bike guy) got some bad news about two months ago.. along with his Prostate Cancer he was told he had Pancreatic Cancer.  And of course some Mets to his Liver.  At first I went OH ****..!   OK, so they did a Biopsy and found out that his Pancreatic Cancer was a rare very slow growing type.. but the other issues needed to be addressed.  Last week he had surgery at Stanford.  His surgeon made sure he knew that he was the best in the WORLD.. in fact the Doc repeated that four times during the pre-op meeting.  Does not matter if that is 100% true, it gave good confidence..!  And the surgery went well, whew..!!   Jon showed up last nite and he looked like normal..!  Oh yes his Lady is also an RN so he got extra good care..   We compared notes and we both agreed how great the entire staff is up at Stanford and how well things went considering..  So Jon lifts his shirt to show his scar.. and of course ME being a guy I do like wise.  Yes mine was bigger, but mine also is mostly healed up and not readily visible.  This gave Jon a smile thinking his scar too would heal this nicely, and I bet it does..!!  I made sure that they both knew about this forum and soon I bet they will be posting in the appropriate sections.. or maybe show up here, just to say hello..!  I did brag about how good all of you are in trying to help and all the knowledge on treatments, etc.

Ah.. I feel darn good some days..!  Hope all of you have a great day as well...  Oh yes, about 8 weeks until I head to the IOM.. here is a parody on the IOM races.. enjoy..  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hVQp1Wxl1w&feature=youtu.be

Ron :)

Comments

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    IOM

I hope you have a great day and an even better weekend Ron:)

You might want to pack some warm clothes when you come over this way. There has been very little sunshine so far, all you see are swathes of grey clouds. Everywhere is a lovely lush green but that is because it never stops flipping raining!!

I know the weather won't put a damper on it for you though, so I hope you enjoy your trip.

Djinnie

• alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    The IOM sounds very cool. But

The IOM sounds very cool. But what do you do without bike between now and then??? (Got replacements in the garage???)

Hope this year is extra special: you've earned itl!!!

• GSRon
    alice124 said:

The IOM sounds very cool. But

The IOM sounds very cool. But what do you do without bike between now and then??? (Got replacements in the garage???)

Hope this year is extra special: you've earned itl!!!

Lays Potato Chips

Hi Alice..!!  Well... for me, bikes are like Lays Potato Chips... can't have just one.. :)   However my street bikes both need work.. So next weekend I see if I can fix one of them and go for a nice local ride.  The California coast is awesome..!

Be Well..!

Ron :)  i don't want a pickle.. jus wanna ride my motor sickle....   And I don't want to die...  just wanna ride my motor cy.... cle...   Good Ole Arlo Guthrie...

• GSRon
    GSRon said:

Lays Potato Chips

Hi Alice..!!  Well... for me, bikes are like Lays Potato Chips... can't have just one.. :)   However my street bikes both need work.. So next weekend I see if I can fix one of them and go for a nice local ride.  The California coast is awesome..!

Be Well..!

Ron :)  i don't want a pickle.. jus wanna ride my motor sickle....   And I don't want to die...  just wanna ride my motor cy.... cle...   Good Ole Arlo Guthrie...

2014..  Here we are a year

2014..  Here we are a year later...  I do shed tears thinking of those we lost in the last year..  sigh..  But thankful for those of us still fighting..  So yes I am working on prepping my little race bike for the IOM.  I have a new rider.. Paul Owen.. can't wait to meet him.  Seems that Cancer does not escape the racers either..  My rider last year has Cancer in his family.. and I "hear" Paul has his own story to tell...  Even though I will be racing and "On Holiday" Cancer does not take a Holiday.. sigh..  OK, so again this year there is a Relay for Life on the IOM, it starts the same time we are to start our race.. kind of interesting, don't you think..??  I plan to go to the event right after Paul finishes, safe and sound...

The bike ships in 3 weeks.. lots to do... but I can do it, a little each day.. the fatigue over comes me if I try to do too much..  I am thankful for my pals that are helping me..

You all stay well...

Ron

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    GSRon said:

2014..  Here we are a year later...  I do shed tears thinking of those we lost in the last year..  sigh..  But thankful for those of us still fighting..  So yes I am working on prepping my little race bike for the IOM.  I have a new rider.. Paul Owen.. can't wait to meet him.  Seems that Cancer does not escape the racers either..  My rider last year has Cancer in his family.. and I "hear" Paul has his own story to tell...  Even though I will be racing and "On Holiday" Cancer does not take a Holiday.. sigh..  OK, so again this year there is a Relay for Life on the IOM, it starts the same time we are to start our race.. kind of interesting, don't you think..??  I plan to go to the event right after Paul finishes, safe and sound...

The bike ships in 3 weeks.. lots to do... but I can do it, a little each day.. the fatigue over comes me if I try to do too much..  I am thankful for my pals that are helping me..

You all stay well...

Ron

Yep, we made it!

Another year. Actually makes me a little anxious. Sounds like soo..much fun! I've got my Rendezvous to go to in a few weeks. I'll be sure to drink that beer for you. Nothing like motorcycle events for us enthusiasts. Wouldn't miss them for the world.

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    GSRon said:

You all stay well...

Ron

IOM!

I can't believe it's that time already, doesn't time fly! Great times to look forward to though Ronnie:)

Djinnie x

• GSRon
    Djinnie said:

IOM!

I can't believe it's that time already, doesn't time fly! Great times to look forward to though Ronnie:)

Djinnie x

Oh my.. I try to be mostly

Oh my.. I try to be mostly upbeat.. but sitting here a bit down.. shed a few tears..  In the last 12 months, lost several pals..  My one pal Jim lost his Cancer battle on the day I got to the IOM.. sigh.. and then we lost our pal T.W.  I do remember them all... and hope they are in peace at last...

But I must move forward.. thanks to all of you..!

Be Well All...

Ron

• twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    GSRon said:

Oh my.. I try to be mostly

Oh my.. I try to be mostly upbeat.. but sitting here a bit down.. shed a few tears..  In the last 12 months, lost several pals..  My one pal Jim lost his Cancer battle on the day I got to the IOM.. sigh.. and then we lost our pal T.W.  I do remember them all... and hope they are in peace at last...

But I must move forward.. thanks to all of you..!

Be Well All...

Ron

IOM??

So sorry you're sad, Ron!  I know it's hard losing friends, loved ones and, even acquaintances.  It's OK to feel what you are feeling...makes you normal.  I for one am happy to know you're normal Wink

Can you please tell me what the IOM is?  Early on in our marriage we spent quite a bit of time on hubby's Goldwing.  These days we have a Harley.  So, I've been around motorcycles my entire adult life and I have no clue what the IOM is. 

Cheer up butter cup, tomorrow will be a better day!

Sindy

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Cheer up Ron!  Hate to see

Cheer up Ron!  Hate to see you down!  I know, it has been rough for you the past year.  I think you lost over 5 or 6 people, some very close together in time. Then our TW, who i think about quite often and sometimes a tear still rolls down my face.  I am sending you a virtual hug and a Blonde joke.. let's see if it does the trick...

"The Two Blondes"

A Blonde woman is speeding down the highway when a police woman, also a blonde pulls her over,

"Can I see  your license and registration", the police woman says.

The blonde is looking through her bag and is getting angry as she can't find it.

"What does it look like?" she asks the officer,

The officer says, "it is square and has your picture on it"

The Blonde pulls out her mirror, opens it and hands it to the cop, "here, I found it, she says"

The cop looks at it and hands it back to her and says "you can go, I didn't now you were a cop!"

Ba da bump!

Feel better!!!

• GSRon
    angec said:

Cheer up Ron!  Hate to see

Cheer up Ron!  Hate to see you down!  I know, it has been rough for you the past year.  I think you lost over 5 or 6 people, some very close together in time. Then our TW, who i think about quite often and sometimes a tear still rolls down my face.  I am sending you a virtual hug and a Blonde joke.. let's see if it does the trick...

"The Two Blondes"

A Blonde woman is speeding down the highway when a police woman, also a blonde pulls her over,

"Can I see  your license and registration", the police woman says.

The blonde is looking through her bag and is getting angry as she can't find it.

"What does it look like?" she asks the officer,

The officer says, "it is square and has your picture on it"

The Blonde pulls out her mirror, opens it and hands it to the cop, "here, I found it, she says"

The cop looks at it and hands it back to her and says "you can go, I didn't now you were a cop!"

Ba da bump!

Feel better!!!

OK, this is too good not to

OK, this is too good not to share.. one pal of mine wrote it.. the other sent it to me..   good pals for sure..

Ron

The Gold Star Rider

An 80 year old man went to the doctor for a check-up and the doctor was amazed

at what good shape the guy was in. The doctor asked, "To what do you attribute

your good health?"

The old timer said, "I'm a Gold Star rider and that's why I'm in such good shape.

I'm up well before daylight on Sundays and out sliding around corners, shootin'

sand washes and riding up and down the steepest, gnarliest hills I can find at the

crack of dawn."

The doctor said, "Well, I'm sure that helps, but there's got to be more to it. How

old was your dad when he died?" The old timer said, "Who said my dad's dead?"

The doctor said, "You mean you're 80 years old and your dad's still alive? How

old is he?" The old timer said, "He's 99 years old and, in fact, he went riding with

me this Sunday, and that's why he's still alive... he's a Goldie rider too."

The doctor said, "Well, that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it. How about your

dad's dad? How old was he when he died?" The old timer said, "Who said my

grandpa's dead?"

The doctor said, "You mean you're 80 years old and your grandfather's still living!

How old is he?" The old timer said, "He's 117 years old."

The doctor was getting frustrated at this point and said, "I guess he went Goldie

riding with you this Sunday too?" The old timer said, "No... Grandpa couldn't go

this week because he got married."

The Doctor said in amazement, "Got married!! Good Lord!!! Why would a 117-

year-old guy want to get married?"

The old timer said, "Who said he wanted to?"

from Damon Fever

• GSRon

IOM??

So sorry you're sad, Ron!  I know it's hard losing friends, loved ones and, even acquaintances.  It's OK to feel what you are feeling...makes you normal.  I for one am happy to know you're normal Wink

Can you please tell me what the IOM is?  Early on in our marriage we spent quite a bit of time on hubby's Goldwing.  These days we have a Harley.  So, I've been around motorcycles my entire adult life and I have no clue what the IOM is. 

Cheer up butter cup, tomorrow will be a better day!

Sindy

Oh Twinsie..

OK Twinsie Gal..  the IOM or the Isle of Man, also known as Mona's Isle.. is a small island in the middle of the Irish Sea, between England and Ireland.  This small Isle has been self ruled.. for like 1,000 years..  It is also a tax haven..  The winters are nasty, the summers are very short.. the people are Galic in background..  But they also love motorcycles.. and hold two famous motorcycle races, the TT, which starts this Saturday and the Manx Grand Prix, which is in mid August.  Oh yes they have their own money but it is based off the British Pound.  The people are wonderful... the scenery is amazing for such a small island.. the food is not great..mostly anyway... If you like Kippers, the Manx Kippers are very good..!

Here is a tourism video...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w05KTmV1tLM or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIvO2FYoQA

Here is a link to many pictures on the island.. some awesome scenery..  http://manxscenes.com/

This is how the beach used to be..as the IOM was the place to go for a holiday... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=639150412820791&set=gm.10152406188060049&type=1&theater

OK, so the IOM is famous for the races, the TT Course is run on the public roads (closed off) and is almost 38 miles each lap.  Here is a must watch movie for the Newbie's that are going to the IOM.  The movie is from 1935.. yes it is old.. the quality of the video is not great.. the audio has been cleaned up.. the accents may be a tad difficult.. but this movie must of been seen in Hollywood..  if you pay attention you will see several different TV shows and movies characters that showed up about a decade later..  This is a Love Story, a Comedy, a Mystery, a Musical, and of course a Motorcycle race movie.. there are several parts, but this link will get you to part 1 and the other parts will appear as well.. Yes this is a family movie..!  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3sj5t_george-formby-in-no-limit-part-1_news

Here is a practice lap with Dave Jeffries..  I have met his Uncle, Nick a few times.. should see Nick this summer.. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbzz9_moto-david-jeffries-full-lap-tt_sport

I could post a lot more.. but... I am sure I have bored you enough...

Ron