A Day At Sloan Kettering.....

abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

I spent yesterday at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, first at some programs, and then at my surgeon’s research lab, where they are doing amazing studies on colorectal cancers.  I saw my doctors, but purely on a social basis.

We traveled there for the luncheon discussion from their Integrative Medicine group.  Some important information I took away:

First: regarding acupuncture:  there is a lot of good research showing favorable affects for many of chemo side effects.  Acupuncture has also proven useful for ileus.  If you are in the hospital with ileus (not uncommon for us) ask if they have an integrative med unit, and an acupuncturist to work with you.

Also regarding acupuncture:  Dr. Deng made it very clear that acupuncture on cancer patients needs to be performed by someone who knows oncology, as there are certain points to be avoided.

Next:  on botanicals and supplements.  Dr. Kathleen Wesa presented, and I’ve referred to her on-line lectures for excellent information.  While she emphasized that many supplements are not good for cancer patients undergoing treatment, as they strengthen the cancer cells as well as the healthy cells, she particularly mentioned that anti-oxidants should not be taken with the platinum drugs (Oxaliplatin) or during radiation treatment.  These treatments work by oxidizing the cancer cells; anti-oxidants counter that effect.  A side note:  you do not want to take supplements to strengthen the immune system if you’ve had any transplant or some of the blood cancers.  Enhanced immune systems are more likely to reject transplants.

The next program was my husband giving a concert of folk and traditional music in the patient lounge at the hospital.  My role there was to tell them that I was part of their family, having spent a month at MSK following my cancer surgery.  I was also able to give some hope, as I told them that I am Stage IV, but healthy at 7 years out from diagnosis.  Patients and caregivers enjoyed the music, and I think appreciated the encouragement from one of their own.

We then received a private tour of one of the research labs doing fascinating research on the roles of stem cells in cancer, in particular colorectal cancers.  I was privy to unpublished information, which I will not share out of respect for the scientists and doctors involved.  What I can say is the direction they are taking may well lead to a very different approach to cancer treatment, with more emphasis on cure rather than control.  Now the only way to definitely get rid of cancer cells at the source is surgical.  We were very privileged to hear this presentation, and I’m very excited for all of us.  They are making significant advances in understanding cancer cells.

Comments

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Thank you for the information

and hope! My brother is fighting this wretched disease with everything he has. I'm hoping that a cure is in the near future.

Lin

• fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Thank You

Great information!

Thank you,

Art

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    WOW

Thanks for the update. I bet the was very interesting. Glad you're doing well

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    vitanutrients

Thanks for sharing. Sloan Kettering is a recognized powerhouse in conventional cancer treatments.

However, Sloan Kettering has had a checkered relationship with vitamins, supplements and immune therapies.  Dr Wesa's boss at MSK Integrative was a long time confederate of the supplement bashers over at Q**ckWatch, full of misinformation and misleading statements about supplements.  That QW group loudly derided doctors that often recommended 1000-3500 iu of vitamin D for their sick patients instead of the mainstream RDA of 200-400 iu/day of vitamin D.  Of course many of us have had bad, life changing experiences with vitamin D deficiencies including those that were deficient at 5000 - 10,000+ iu/day of vitamin D3. 

Wesa's more generalized opinion about vitamins during (any) chemo appears to me to over-reach. At least 3 vitamins and two supplements drive my wife's 5FU chemo effectiveness, as in her cancer grows or her treatment and biomarkers deteriorate without them during chemo.  These supplement choices were based on papers in the medical science literature. Personally I think a number of the LEF recommendations make a difference. Specific molecule selection, dose and measurement of response are everything. 

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    tanstaafl said:

vitanutrients

Thanks for sharing. Sloan Kettering is a recognized powerhouse in conventional cancer treatments.

However, Sloan Kettering has had a checkered relationship with vitamins, supplements and immune therapies.  Dr Wesa's boss at MSK Integrative was a long time confederate of the supplement bashers over at Q**ckWatch, full of misinformation and misleading statements about supplements.  That QW group loudly derided doctors that often recommended 1000-3500 iu of vitamin D for their sick patients instead of the mainstream RDA of 200-400 iu/day of vitamin D.  Of course many of us have had bad, life changing experiences with vitamin D deficiencies including those that were deficient at 5000 - 10,000+ iu/day of vitamin D3. 

Wesa's more generalized opinion about vitamins during (any) chemo appears to me to over-reach. At least 3 vitamins and two supplements drive my wife's 5FU chemo effectiveness, as in her cancer grows or her treatment and biomarkers deteriorate without them during chemo.  These supplement choices were based on papers in the medical science literature. Personally I think a number of the LEF recommendations make a difference. Specific molecule selection, dose and measurement of response are everything. 

thank you

wow that must have been the best day! thank you so so very much for sharing.....mags

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    tanstaafl said:

vitanutrients

Dr. Wesa doesn't state no vitamins

She is just careful in the selection of supplements during treatment, and wants to be sure that whatever supplements/vitamins are used do not counteract treatment.  Integrative med at MSK had me on a multi-vitamin plus B6 during chemo.

• Buddy2013
    Buddy2013 Member Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks for sharing

That is a very exciting direction for MSK research!