3 years later

Bterb33
Bterb33 Member Posts: 4
When I was diagnosed with my kidney cancer in 2011 my first reaction was..... "I can't have cancer.... I'm taking care of my mom with cancer!" then it was " how did something that big grow inside of me without me knowing it?" I felt like my body had betrayed me!! It was just a fast track to removing my left kidney and they said it was stage 3 or 4 and there was no treatment out there for kidney cancer! Even after removal they said it looked like stage 3 or 4 and was only when the pathology came back the said stage 2 and I am still here!! My mom died in nov 2011 from her peritoneal cancer and I took over custody of my 2 grand boys! I have really had no time to process any of this but it is strong in my brain that most people who have cancer have re-occurrences of the cancer somewhere in their bodies! I see on this site that people did get treatment for their kidney cancer and just wanted to find someplace to talk about my feelings, fears and concerns. Thanks to anyone for your thoughts, insights and replies!! <3

Comments

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    3 Years and Counting!

I can assure you, you have come to the right place. There is always someone available on this site for you to chat to and air your fears. We can all empathize with your feelings in discovering you had cancer. I am sure it must have been so very hard for you to deal with though, whilst taking care of your Mum. You are doing very well in that you have been clear for 3 years, but I fully understand your fears in that it may return. In many, many cases it doesn't, but obviously there is always a chance that it will, so you have to remain vigilant. My cancer returned after 10 years, but that's my story not yours. I hope you continue in the same vein and lead a long and healthy life, try not to let your fears and concerns dominate your thoughts though:)

Djinnie x

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Sometimes we learn the more

Sometimes we learn the more challenging way, that WE need to take care of ourselves. We are so used to caring for others. You have accepted all these challenges with grace and love.

Sounds like this is YOUR TIME for support, understanding and a connectedness only this challenge called cancer can offer!

Please stay with us and let us know how you are doing. How sweet of you to care for your mother and take on those little ones too!

Continued good health and well being,

Warmly, Jan

• Bterb33
    Jan4you said:

Sometimes we learn the more

Sometimes we learn the more challenging way, that WE need to take care of ourselves. We are so used to caring for others. You have accepted all these challenges with grace and love.

Sounds like this is YOUR TIME for support, understanding and a connectedness only this challenge called cancer can offer!

Please stay with us and let us know how you are doing. How sweet of you to care for your mother and take on those little ones too!

Continued good health and well being,

Warmly, Jan

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply and kind words!
    My time?........ Interesting thought........... Not sure that is in the cards for me in this lifetime! The boys are 2 & 7 now and keep me very busy!
    I am working on finding moments.... When it comes down to it that is really all we have!!
    Blessings
    Brenda
  • Bterb33
    Djinnie said:

3 Years and Counting!

I can assure you, you have come to the right place. There is always someone available on this site for you to chat to and air your fears. We can all empathize with your feelings in discovering you had cancer. I am sure it must have been so very hard for you to deal with though, whilst taking care of your Mum. You are doing very well in that you have been clear for 3 years, but I fully understand your fears in that it may return. In many, many cases it doesn't, but obviously there is always a chance that it will, so you have to remain vigilant. My cancer returned after 10 years, but that's my story not yours. I hope you continue in the same vein and lead a long and healthy life, try not to let your fears and concerns dominate your thoughts though:)

Djinnie x

Thanks
    First thanks for your reply! :)
    Wow....... I just read your story and I am humbled by your faith, fight and tenacity with so many bouts with cancer! I am sending tons of healing energy your way!! Yes...... The horrible experiences in life really do teach us to appreciate the blessings and help us to focus on what is really important!!
    May your body tolerate treatment well and your remission be complete!!
    To health......
    Brenda

PS what is your favorite quote, verse, saying, image ?? What gives you strength when you are down??
  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Bterb33 said:

Thanks
    First thanks for your reply! :)
    Wow....... I just read your story and I am humbled by your faith, fight and tenacity with so many bouts with cancer! I am sending tons of healing energy your way!! Yes...... The horrible experiences in life really do teach us to appreciate the blessings and help us to focus on what is really important!!
    May your body tolerate treatment well and your remission be complete!!
    To health......
    Brenda

PS what is your favorite quote, verse, saying, image ?? What gives you strength when you are down??

Thanks!

Hi Brenda, Thank you for your supportive comments, none of us can get enough of them in the situation we find ourselves.

My daily mantra is by Emile Coue:- 'Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better'. I visualize myself being 100% healthy.

I just don't believe that I will not regain my health, things have become a little screwed up inside but I just have to accept it and work through it. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany, France, when I am feeling really down I go out into the woodland to my favourite spot and watch and listen. I find it soothing and uplifting, there is always something to marvel at.

Take care:)

Djinnie x