Happy Anniversary?

foxhd
foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

I think?  3 years ago today I finished my workout and had a good 2.5-3 mile run. I have exercised regularly since a teenager. I've run for over thirty years. (and are my legs tired!) Anyway, I had decided to approach my 60's by trying to reach a peak in my fitness. My mission statement was that when I died, I wanted to be in the best shape of my life. I told people that often. So, anywho, that afternoon I told my wife that I felt AWESOME!! I told her that I was feeling like I was in my 30's again. Incredible! I remember it well.

Well,......that night I was doubled over in pain. Peeing blood like crazy. Scared me good. I made it to daylight and in the ER, I got the diagnosis. Kidney tumor. I had to be admitted for pain control and had my nephrectomy a couple days later. No waiting around for me. It happened fast. Little time to dwell on it. If you got to do it, that is the way. But I digress. as usual.

So I guess tonite is pizza and beer night. I'm not sure a celebration is in order. But to hell with it. Probably more importantly, it is 2 years this month that I was told would be my demise. Too advanced to treat. "Nothing is effective" I was told. (Jack, this was my "quickening.") And here I am. No longer in the best shape of my life but in real good shape. Heck March is kinda special. I also turn 62 in a couple weeks.

Damn! life is good!

There are more answers out there than ever for kidney cancer. Be your own advocate and persue them.

Comments

• garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Happy Anniversary foxy...

May you have many many more!

A married couple were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. At the party everyone wanted to know how they managed to stay married for so long in this day and age. The husband answered "When we were first married we came to an agreement. I would make all the major decisions and she would make all the minor decisions, and in 60 years of marriage we have never needed to make a major decision."

• mdb2387
    mdb2387 Member Posts: 8
    Inspirational story..So glad

Inspirational story..So glad you are doing well!!

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    mdb2387 said:

Inspirational story..So glad

Inspirational story..So glad you are doing well!!

Happy Anniversary Fox Man..!!

Happy Anniversary Fox Man..!!  Wait up, I am a year behind you..!!  Wink

Pizza and Beer sound good...

Ron

• Darron
    Darron Member Posts: 310 Member
    garym said:

Happy Anniversary foxy...

May you have many many more!

A married couple were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. At the party everyone wanted to know how they managed to stay married for so long in this day and age. The husband answered "When we were first married we came to an agreement. I would make all the major decisions and she would make all the minor decisions, and in 60 years of marriage we have never needed to make a major decision."

50 years

Another couple, originall from Italy, was celebrating their 50th anniversary. Vinny, they asked, what is the secret to 50 years of happy marriage?

he said " for our 25th, I took my wife to Italy to celebrate our homeland."

everyine said "that is great, what are you going to do for 50?"

"I am going to go back and pick her up."

Enjoy it Fox, I'll drink a cold one tonight in your honor. 

• CommuterMom
    CommuterMom Member Posts: 120
    Congrats Fox

Hey,

Congrats, that is really awesome.  You shold definately celebrate life and health.  I'm planning on starting a new health plan myself.  I just read a book by Dr. Joel Furhman called Eat to Live and it made a lot of sense.  I'm going to Vegas on Friday for a business trip where I plan on having as much pleasure as possible.  I'm jumping on the plan upon my return.  It should be a good way to detox the Vegas away.

- Diana Cheers!

• nsb748
    nsb748 Member Posts: 89

Congrats Fox

Hey,

Congrats, that is really awesome.  You shold definately celebrate life and health.  I'm planning on starting a new health plan myself.  I just read a book by Dr. Joel Furhman called Eat to Live and it made a lot of sense.  I'm going to Vegas on Friday for a business trip where I plan on having as much pleasure as possible.  I'm jumping on the plan upon my return.  It should be a good way to detox the Vegas away.

- Diana Cheers!

Fox, I keep forgetting to ask

Fox, I keep forgetting to ask the doc how long until I can drink a few beers, but once I can, I will hoist a few in your honor.

well done sir

• Thomalexa
    Thomalexa Member Posts: 6
    The question mark..

Fox, 

I "joined" this club last year and I have so many questions that haven't been answered. Google sure is a poor substitute for trying to find things that pertain to Kidney cancer. Brief synopsis: 

Diagnosed just before my 37th birthday - multiple tumors on both kidneys. I had an open partial nephrectomy on the right kidney on 1/16/2014 that turned into a complete nephrectomy; they couldn't save anything. I'm scheduled for another open partial nephrectomy on my left kidney on 4/2/2014. The doctors say I have a few less tumors on the left than I did on the right and the bigger one is in an "easier spot to operate on." They're putting the odds of saving anything at 50/50. 

So, I'm blessed that I'm a software engineer and that I was able to return to work only two weeks after my first surgery. I'm the breadwinner of the family. I'm praying for a good surgery on 4/2, but what does "good" consist of? Complete cancer removal only and loss of all kidney function? Sure, being cancer free would be good, but I'm kinda hoping for a greedy good; cancer removal with SOME kidney function. 

I know it's a lot to ask. I'm just dreadfully afraid of going on dialysis and how much that will alter my life. I'm normally an upbeat person, but as the second surgery draws closer, I become more anxious and sad. 

That first surgery wasn't an easy one. The docs say I did wonderfully, but I was under for a really long time. To the surprise of the doc and nurses though, I was stubborn about getting out of bed and walking the next day. I'm no fitness freak, but post surgery, I've lost quite a bit of weight simply from not eating as much as I used to. Funny thing is, aside from being tired from time to time, I feel pretty dang good. 

So, yeah...Happy Anniversary..with a question mark. It's certainly a mixed blessing. I don't think that anyone who hasn't gone through this could understand the multitude of emotions that go with such an anniverary date. 

God bless

Thomas

• Thomalexa
    The question mark..

Fox, 

I "joined" this club last year and I have so many questions that haven't been answered. Google sure is a poor substitute for trying to find things that pertain to Kidney cancer. Brief synopsis: 

Diagnosed just before my 37th birthday - multiple tumors on both kidneys. I had an open partial nephrectomy on the right kidney on 1/16/2014 that turned into a complete nephrectomy; they couldn't save anything. I'm scheduled for another open partial nephrectomy on my left kidney on 4/2/2014. The doctors say I have a few less tumors on the left than I did on the right and the bigger one is in an "easier spot to operate on." They're putting the odds of saving anything at 50/50. 

So, I'm blessed that I'm a software engineer and that I was able to return to work only two weeks after my first surgery. I'm the breadwinner of the family. I'm praying for a good surgery on 4/2, but what does "good" consist of? Complete cancer removal only and loss of all kidney function? Sure, being cancer free would be good, but I'm kinda hoping for a greedy good; cancer removal with SOME kidney function. 

I know it's a lot to ask. I'm just dreadfully afraid of going on dialysis and how much that will alter my life. I'm normally an upbeat person, but as the second surgery draws closer, I become more anxious and sad. 

That first surgery wasn't an easy one. The docs say I did wonderfully, but I was under for a really long time. To the surprise of the doc and nurses though, I was stubborn about getting out of bed and walking the next day. I'm no fitness freak, but post surgery, I've lost quite a bit of weight simply from not eating as much as I used to. Funny thing is, aside from being tired from time to time, I feel pretty dang good. 

So, yeah...Happy Anniversary..with a question mark. It's certainly a mixed blessing. I don't think that anyone who hasn't gone through this could understand the multitude of emotions that go with such an anniverary date. 

God bless

Thomas

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    Thomalexa said:

The question mark..

Fox, 

God bless

Thomas

Happy Birthday Suit to you....and you

Now that would be a sight...and make your eyes sore at the same time, Fox.  We like anniversaries around this board because if means someone has been successful, especially the patient.

Glad to hear you're at three years!!!!.  You've been through a lot.  By now, you should have already enjoyed the pizza and beer on East Coast Time.

Take it easy and enjoy your celebration.

Donna

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    Thomalexa said:

The question mark..

Fox, 

God bless

Thomas

Thomas, welcome.. sorry you

Thomas, welcome.. sorry you need to be here.  I am wondering.. did you not have any Chemo..?  Are you in the care of a Cancer/Renal  Oncologist..? 

Good Luck..!

Ron

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Pizza and beer!

Thanks for sharing your story. My husband was also diagnosed in the ER and he also never left the hospital until after his Nephrectomy due to intense, frequent episodes of pain that even the toughest pain meds could barely take the edge off.  I only left his side twice the whole 9/10 days. Your anniversary truly is worth celebrating with pizza and beer. 

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member
    Quickening?

I thought that term meant the first movements of the fetus felt by the mother.... But, happy anniversary to you!

Sarah

• Thomalexa
    Many things..

Ron, 

I am seeing an oncologist. I was on Votrient for about 6 months. There were shrinkage on all tumors, but not significant enough for the doctors to want to continue treatment. They were worried about the drugs not working at some point and the cancer spreading. 

"curative window" is the term they used. 

Thomas

• foxhd
    Thomalexa said:

The question mark..

Fox, 

God bless

Thomas

Both kidneys

Thomas, having tumors in both kidneys is not what we regularly see. Sorry. My thoughts are that even with a good health report, it can change severely and rapidly. Again, try to enjoy every minute while it lasts. Both my mom and sister were on dialysis but only I have kidney cancer. Strange? ...You are so much younger than I. That makes a big difference in perspective. I always say that at least I hit my sixties. I feel badly for anyone younger. But to answer your querey, Yes, people can live a long life on dialysis.

• foxhd
    Srashedb said:

Quickening?

I thought that term meant the first movements of the fetus felt by the mother.... But, happy anniversary to you!

Sarah

quickening

Sarah, I never heard the term before. Scagway Jack used it to descibe the moment when you know something catastrophic is about to happen.

• NanoSecond
    NanoSecond Member Posts: 653
    Thomalexa said:

Many things..

Ron, 

I am seeing an oncologist. I was on Votrient for about 6 months. There were shrinkage on all tumors, but not significant enough for the doctors to want to continue treatment. They were worried about the drugs not working at some point and the cancer spreading. 

Thomas

Please contact NIH/NCI

Thomas.  I am very sorry to hear what you have been dealing with.

However, as Fox pointed out, your case is rather unusual for at least two reasons.  One, you are still young.  Two, you have bilateral tumors (both kidneys are effected).  This normally is an indication that you may have an inherited version of renal cancer.  If so, the question is if there is any other history of renal (or other) cancer in your immediate family?  Regardless, have you and your oncologist discussed any sort of genetic testing?  Finally, your kind of case fits into what the NIH/NCI likes to study in depth.  If you have not done so I suggest contacting them ASAP.  Even if they are not directly interested in your case I bet they can give you lots of ideas on how to best proceed.  You need to hear what they are.

Best wishes,

-N

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Happy BEATING The Odds, Fox!

Happy BEATING The Odds, Fox! I feel comfortable with that! That is why we say "you da man!"  I am glad that you didn't take no for an answer! There is always another option no matter what they say.  Here is to another 3 years+.  

Thomas, sorry to hear all that you are going through. I like that fighitng spirit!  Have you sought a second opinion? What hospital are you going to?  I think the goal with these drugs is to keep the tumors stable. Anything more than that is an added blessing.  So, if you have shrinkage and no mets or growth anywhere else, why would they stop the votrient? RCC is now treated as a chronic disease.  Chronic meaning life long taking drugs.  It would be great to be cancer free if they can save the kidney or at least half of the kidney. Did they say what type of RCC it is and have you gotten a second opinion on those slides also?  Are you a member of smartpatients? If not you should join. There are lots of experienced people on there as well.  Praying all goes well on April 2.  Keep up that fighting spirit! Please keep us posted and let us know how you are. We care about you! XX Would you care to share your path report with us?  Please be sure to get copies of all of your tests results.  I just read Neil's post.  All he said was excellent and i would seriously call asap.

• Cate1273
    Cate1273 Member Posts: 35
    Congratulations Fox!  Three

Congratulations Fox!  Three years is awesome. And many more to come!

Cate

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Happy Anniversary, Foxy!
    It

Happy Anniversary, Foxy!

It is a wonderful anniversary to celebrate!! You rock!!

Enjoy your beer and pizza!

Big Hugs,

Jojo

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Thomalexa said:

Many things..

Ron, 

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
    Thank you for

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing. You have lot on your plate. i am glad you shared your story with us. I hope that Nano's advice will be helpful.

Take care and keep sharing! We are here for you!

Hugs,

Jojo