?? radiation side effects

I am 1 week post external beam radiation (endo/cerv) today. I have had worsening abdominal pain since completion and I'm just miserable tonight.  I have also had a lot of loose stools and some difficulty with urination like I'm retaining urine. I don't know if I have coincidentally picked up a stomach virus and uti this week or if I'm having some radiation side effects. I had some episodes of diarrhea during txt but not like this.  I tried calling my onc office today but couldn't get through due to the snow we got here in VA. I hate having to deal with an on call and I sure don't wanna go to DR. Any input is appreciated. 

Comments

• ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    I'm sorry you are dealing

I'm sorry you are dealing with this pain.  I am also in virginia.  alexandria.  Crazy snow storm but the roads are pretty ok now.  I have not experienced abdominal pain like you mention.  I occasionally get diahrea,  and I get repeated U tI's now but that does not cause abdominal pain for me either, more burning during uruin output.  Did you have a hysterectomy or did you do radiation as primary treatmemt?  I had adjuvant radiation after my hysterectomy so the total dose of radiation is less than if you have it as primary treatment.  I know radiation keeps on working even after you finish, for a few more weeks.  If things get bad call your oncologist and they may have something that will help you until healing begins from radiation, or other ideas on the cause.

if you are having difficulty urinating definitely see your doctor.

hugs to you, and congrats on finishing treatment.  Hopefully you will be feeling better soon..

• ccfighter said:

I'm sorry you are dealing

I'm sorry you are dealing with this pain.  I am also in virginia.  alexandria.  Crazy snow storm but the roads are pretty ok now.  I have not experienced abdominal pain like you mention.  I occasionally get diahrea,  and I get repeated U tI's now but that does not cause abdominal pain for me either, more burning during uruin output.  Did you have a hysterectomy or did you do radiation as primary treatmemt?  I had adjuvant radiation after my hysterectomy so the total dose of radiation is less than if you have it as primary treatment.  I know radiation keeps on working even after you finish, for a few more weeks.  If things get bad call your oncologist and they may have something that will help you until healing begins from radiation, or other ideas on the cause.

if you are having difficulty urinating definitely see your doctor.

hugs to you, and congrats on finishing treatment.  Hopefully you will be feeling better soon..

Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response ccfighter.  Got with rad onc today. I have a uti and am retaining urine. Hopefully just due to the infection and not some other larger problem. I had radiation after surgery (not a radical) as a adjuvant tx. I had skin problems during-most are looking much better now. I also had some burning with urination but they sent it to the lab twice and it was clean. Other than that and the fatigue I felt ok. I'm frustrated I guess because I've felt worse since finishing. I was retaining a lot of urine so now I'm having to st Cath myself every 8 hrs (which has almost totally alleviated the abdominal and pelvic pain)  I'm wondering if I made the right decision to get radiation. I've seen some women on here have symptoms years later from the radiation. My doctor's have all been amazing through this but I feel so unprepared for 'post treatment'  I'm a nurse but cancer treatment is such a specialty that I'm really not that familiar with it. I have done a lot of reading however since being diagnosed.  The best information that I've gotten is off this site. The cancer center that I go to has support groups but they are during the day and I work. That's how I ended up here and I'm so glad I did :)  

• ccfighter

Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response ccfighter.  Got with rad onc today. I have a uti and am retaining urine. Hopefully just due to the infection and not some other larger problem. I had radiation after surgery (not a radical) as a adjuvant tx. I had skin problems during-most are looking much better now. I also had some burning with urination but they sent it to the lab twice and it was clean. Other than that and the fatigue I felt ok. I'm frustrated I guess because I've felt worse since finishing. I was retaining a lot of urine so now I'm having to st Cath myself every 8 hrs (which has almost totally alleviated the abdominal and pelvic pain)  I'm wondering if I made the right decision to get radiation. I've seen some women on here have symptoms years later from the radiation. My doctor's have all been amazing through this but I feel so unprepared for 'post treatment'  I'm a nurse but cancer treatment is such a specialty that I'm really not that familiar with it. I have done a lot of reading however since being diagnosed.  The best information that I've gotten is off this site. The cancer center that I go to has support groups but they are during the day and I work. That's how I ended up here and I'm so glad I did :)  

I'm glad that they found a

I'm glad that they found a cause for your pain and discomfort.  UTI's are no fun, but a course of antibiotics should clear that up.  Hopefully you will be back to a normal rhythm soon.  

I too am glad I found this site.  A wealth of info and people going through the same things that can relate.  Glad you are here, of course, wish it were under better circumstances that we met.  Take care and keep us updated.  We LOVE success stories.  Hugs.

• ccfighter said:

I'm glad that they found a

I'm glad that they found a cause for your pain and discomfort.  UTI's are no fun, but a course of antibiotics should clear that up.  Hopefully you will be back to a normal rhythm soon.  

I too am glad I found this site.  A wealth of info and people going through the same things that can relate.  Glad you are here, of course, wish it were under better circumstances that we met.  Take care and keep us updated.  We LOVE success stories.  Hugs.

So I was able to see my

So I was able to see my rad/onc today. He said there's a possibility that I could have damage from radiation to my ureters or urethra causing me to retain urine and put me at an even higher risk of uti. Not to mention I'm still not going well on my own.  He said that hopefully it'll work itself out. Does anyone know what they'll do if it doesn't?  Like I said above I already have a catheter I'm hoping not for good. 

• ccfighter

So I was able to see my

So I was able to see my rad/onc today. He said there's a possibility that I could have damage from radiation to my ureters or urethra causing me to retain urine and put me at an even higher risk of uti. Not to mention I'm still not going well on my own.  He said that hopefully it'll work itself out. Does anyone know what they'll do if it doesn't?  Like I said above I already have a catheter I'm hoping not for good. 

I'm not totally sure.  I know

I'm not totally sure.  I know that they can place a stent in the ureter to keep it open if it is closed.  As for the urethra I am not sure.  Could they test for an obstruction?  An MRI or CT's scan?  Scar tissue can build up and cause problems as well.  I don't know if thoses scan would show an inflamitory process or not, but if there is no obstruction then I would think time would help to heal these things.  Some people find aloe Vera juice to sooth and heal urinary tract issues during and after radiation.  T to avoid real acidic beverages as well, as these things could exasperate symptoms.  Hope you are feeling better soon.