Stopping in with a quick question

Hi.  My name is Shawn.  I am a "regular" on the Head and Neck board.  My dear brother just recently finished up tx for tonsil cancer.  Now my brother-in-law is battling Diffuse Large Cell Lymphoma.  He is having trouble with a low WBC, which I realize is normal with chemo patients, but we were told that they are giving him a transfusion today.  I was given the impression that while transfusions used to be commonplace, they no longer are.  Can anyone enlighten me on this situation the best you know how?  Just how common it it?  Is there great risk?  Thanks in advance for your time.

~S~

Comments

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 869 Member
    Transfusions

I had at least 10 transfusions of packed red blood cells totalling 20 units. I had no problems at all, in fact each time the transfusion made me feel better from the symptoms of anemia--weakness, heart palpitations, difficulty breathing.

Best to you and your family,

Rocquie

• Shoopy
    Shoopy Member Posts: 210
    Shawn

I had DLBCL as well.  I had approximately 10-12 transfusions (more platelets than red blood).  When I received the red transfusion, I also felt better within 6-12 hours.  I know some people might have reactions to transfusions--I did not.  To my knowledge, they won't give transfusions for white blood.  They will probably give him either Nuelasta or Nupogen.

If there is any other information I can provide...just ask.

Karl

• sin9775
    sin9775 Member Posts: 199 Member
    Thanks

Thank you, Rocquie and Karl.  I guess my confusion came from my assumption that he would be getting white blood cells because that's what's low.  It's hard when you get information secondhand.  I am thrilled to know that he should be expecting to feel great after his transfusion(s).

~S~

• Shoopy
    Shoopy Member Posts: 210
    sin9775 said:

Thanks

Thank you, Rocquie and Karl.  I guess my confusion came from my assumption that he would be getting white blood cells because that's what's low.  It's hard when you get information secondhand.  I am thrilled to know that he should be expecting to feel great after his transfusion(s).

~S~

YEMV

Well, "your experience may vary".  There were times I felt great and other time I just felt better.  He will notice the difference when he receives red blood cells.  Do they have him on R-CHOP?

• sin9775
    sin9775 Member Posts: 199 Member
    Shoopy said:

YEMV

Well, "your experience may vary".  There were times I felt great and other time I just felt better.  He will notice the difference when he receives red blood cells.  Do they have him on R-CHOP?

R-CHOP

Yes, Shoopy, to the best of my knowledge he is still on R-CHOP.  After his first scan they found his nodes were decreasing nicely, but a large abdominal tumor has not decreased in size very much at all.  I am not 100% positive that they did not change things up after that.