Searching for a Naturopath with training/experience in Oncology

Hello,

Reading Jazzy and other women's experiences with Oncologic Naturopaths, this sounds like a wonderful way to go.  I'm truly frustrated with haivng my body treated as "parts" rather than a provider working with the my body as a whole.

I'm hoping others can help with suggestions/referrals/advice.  

Unfortunately North Carolina does not have a procedure to license Naturopaths. I looked at the website for the NC Naturopath Assn, and checked the websites of the 29 members listed.  One ND mentions cancer as a condition that she treats.  This ND is in Charlotte, 3 hours away.  Still, I would be willing to go there if she knows her stuff.  What questions should I ask?  (What is your training and experience with cancer? How many patients? Type of tests and treatments?) 

There is one ND in NC listed as a member of the Naturopathic Oncological Assn.  But members don't have to have any specialized experience, just an interest.  And this ND in Carrboro (closer to where I live) does not mention cancer on her website.

I have family in Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington, DC that I could stay with if I need to travel to be seen.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sungranny

Comments

• Hybridspirits
    Hybridspirits Member Posts: 209
    Naturopath

I would love to help.  I am also seeing a Naturopath that is a member of the Oncology Association of Naturoaths. I am in Ct.  The way I found here was I called the Naturopath i had seen years ago and she referred me to her and another Naturopath.    The one that Jazzy goes to I believe treats you over the phone after the first visit, Jazzy can speak to that.  She does sound awesome. 

I do believe in Naturopath approach as up to now we were watching a lymph node that was boarder line large, inflamed. Once i gave up gluten/grain,  issue gone.  Most likely the gluten was causing inflamation.    My immune tests have shown they are compromised and we are working on that.  That could have been from chemo, or was there before or from gluten.  What we are doing is trying to pick that up as what i need is my body to work for me in the future.  We all will be exposed to something that is foreign and possibly cancer causing, it is inevitable and the key is to keep that to a minimum for what you control but at the same time get your immune system as strong as possible

I don't have that much time now to help with questions but will think through what did I ask her at our first meeting and where am i with her. So more to come from me

Sharon

• SUNGRANNY
    SUNGRANNY Member Posts: 81 Member

Naturopath

I would love to help.  I am also seeing a Naturopath that is a member of the Oncology Association of Naturoaths. I am in Ct.  The way I found here was I called the Naturopath i had seen years ago and she referred me to her and another Naturopath.    The one that Jazzy goes to I believe treats you over the phone after the first visit, Jazzy can speak to that.  She does sound awesome. 

I do believe in Naturopath approach as up to now we were watching a lymph node that was boarder line large, inflamed. Once i gave up gluten/grain,  issue gone.  Most likely the gluten was causing inflamation.    My immune tests have shown they are compromised and we are working on that.  That could have been from chemo, or was there before or from gluten.  What we are doing is trying to pick that up as what i need is my body to work for me in the future.  We all will be exposed to something that is foreign and possibly cancer causing, it is inevitable and the key is to keep that to a minimum for what you control but at the same time get your immune system as strong as possible

I don't have that much time now to help with questions but will think through what did I ask her at our first meeting and where am i with her. So more to come from me

Sharon

Inflammation

Thanks Sharon for your response.  Yes! I agree! I want to work with someone who will look into eliminating root causes of the inflammation.  I'll keep searching.

Sara

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    SUNGRANNY said:

Inflammation

Thanks Sharon for your response.  Yes! I agree! I want to work with someone who will look into eliminating root causes of the inflammation.  I'll keep searching.

Sara

Sara

I feel natruopath was the best way for me, since had recurrence  More about doing something different from initial diagnosis since now have recurrence.  If we do the same stesp as first time, sorta think we'll receive the same resuts.

Happy to relay information about mine and possible answer some of your questions.  Feel free to personally email me here and happy to  help in any way.

Hugs

Jan

• Goldheart
    Goldheart Member Posts: 36
    jazzy1 said:

Sara

I feel natruopath was the best way for me, since had recurrence  More about doing something different from initial diagnosis since now have recurrence.  If we do the same stesp as first time, sorta think we'll receive the same resuts.

Happy to relay information about mine and possible answer some of your questions.  Feel free to personally email me here and happy to  help in any way.

Hugs

Jan

Jan

I am also interested in naturopath. I am searching for it. Could you also send me info too? What do I expect from them? 

Also, we are thiking of getting a second opinion in US (we live in Canada). I know MD Anderson and Memeoral Sloan are the best, but is there anywhere else that you could recommoned?

Thanks so much.

Goldheart

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Goldheart said:

Jan

I am also interested in naturopath. I am searching for it. Could you also send me info too? What do I expect from them? 

Also, we are thiking of getting a second opinion in US (we live in Canada). I know MD Anderson and Memeoral Sloan are the best, but is there anywhere else that you could recommoned?

Thanks so much.

Goldheart

Finding a Naturopath

The link below will give you link per state to find a naturopath.  My recommendation, look for one whom is qualified in oncology. Mine is located in Durango, CO and not taking new patients.  

They view the whole body terrain, not like the medical oncologist whom only view the tumors.  If our bodies/immune systems are strong, we have better chance of winning the fight with cancer.  I'm on a new way of eating -- no gluten or sugars, loads of "fresh" organic free veggies, must limit total sugars and carbs.  Just to name a few things I've changed and then there are the many supplements which bring the body back into balance for fighting disease.  

I feel so much better and must tell you, none of this is easy, but when my life is on the line with my first recurrence I do whatever my natruopath recommends.  She's a true life saver for me and would recommend her,but she is not accepting new patients.  Sorry!!  BTW she's not associated with any hospitals, as she doesn't prescribe drugs.  Still doing the western treatments with chemo for recurrence, and with my naturopath keeing my body stronger...really both types of thinking are now working together.  

I've always thought the way she does -- give the body what it needs and it can heal!!  Don't get me wrong I'm not a holy roller, just a person whom believes more in allowing the body to heal.  No guarantee, but this is what I believe.   

http://www.healthgrades.com/naturopathy-directory

Wishing you all the best...life is good~~

Jan

• Hybridspirits
    jazzy1 said:

Finding a Naturopath

The link below will give you link per state to find a naturopath.  My recommendation, look for one whom is qualified in oncology. Mine is located in Durango, CO and not taking new patients.  

They view the whole body terrain, not like the medical oncologist whom only view the tumors.  If our bodies/immune systems are strong, we have better chance of winning the fight with cancer.  I'm on a new way of eating -- no gluten or sugars, loads of "fresh" organic free veggies, must limit total sugars and carbs.  Just to name a few things I've changed and then there are the many supplements which bring the body back into balance for fighting disease.  

I feel so much better and must tell you, none of this is easy, but when my life is on the line with my first recurrence I do whatever my natruopath recommends.  She's a true life saver for me and would recommend her,but she is not accepting new patients.  Sorry!!  BTW she's not associated with any hospitals, as she doesn't prescribe drugs.  Still doing the western treatments with chemo for recurrence, and with my naturopath keeing my body stronger...really both types of thinking are now working together.  

I've always thought the way she does -- give the body what it needs and it can heal!!  Don't get me wrong I'm not a holy roller, just a person whom believes more in allowing the body to heal.  No guarantee, but this is what I believe.   

http://www.healthgrades.com/naturopathy-directory

Wishing you all the best...life is good~~

Jan

naturopath - my two cents

I thought I would add my two cents as well

I echo Jan.  Right at the onset of diagnosis I added a naturopath to the team I was seaking out help to get through this cancer.  My Naturopath doesn't work with my dr's and visa versa they both know I am seeing the others.

a Naturopath's main theory is to get your body in gear to be healthy whereas western medicine's focus is on when something goes wrong treat it.  This is the reason a naturopath is so important for us.  I know for me something went wrong with my immune system that didn't protect me and many times that is the case.  So a lot of testing is reviewing your immune system and levels of what folks call the killer (T-cells).  Each of us is different so the regime you get from a naturopath is individual.  that is the second point.  A naturopath treats the individual and each one differently.  While you could try to follow someone elses regime it might not be what fell apart for you

if you can't get to one specializing in oncology as it is just not available for you I would say seeing a good regular one is second best and again can only help.

One thing my naturopath said was "Sharon, there are many people who go to mcdonalds and never get cancer or eat the most laced vegetables etc.."  the difference is their body protected them and yours didn't.  We need to get your body strong so it stands up to the duty should it be called upon again" 

We must treat our bodies as well as we treat our cars.  It is the only one we have.

While the adjustment to the eating is hard for some,  it is only becauase we are used to the convience of what is out there.  No I don't go out to eat, no I don't buy prepared foods,  yes I make everything.  I have learned to enjoy that and include others in the process.  If this is what it takes to live a long and healthy life I feel it is worth it.

feel free to reach out to me personally as well,  send me an email here and i will send along my contact information

we can all do it and have fun in the process

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member

naturopath - my two cents

I thought I would add my two cents as well

I echo Jan.  Right at the onset of diagnosis I added a naturopath to the team I was seaking out help to get through this cancer.  My Naturopath doesn't work with my dr's and visa versa they both know I am seeing the others.

a Naturopath's main theory is to get your body in gear to be healthy whereas western medicine's focus is on when something goes wrong treat it.  This is the reason a naturopath is so important for us.  I know for me something went wrong with my immune system that didn't protect me and many times that is the case.  So a lot of testing is reviewing your immune system and levels of what folks call the killer (T-cells).  Each of us is different so the regime you get from a naturopath is individual.  that is the second point.  A naturopath treats the individual and each one differently.  While you could try to follow someone elses regime it might not be what fell apart for you

if you can't get to one specializing in oncology as it is just not available for you I would say seeing a good regular one is second best and again can only help.

One thing my naturopath said was "Sharon, there are many people who go to mcdonalds and never get cancer or eat the most laced vegetables etc.."  the difference is their body protected them and yours didn't.  We need to get your body strong so it stands up to the duty should it be called upon again" 

We must treat our bodies as well as we treat our cars.  It is the only one we have.

While the adjustment to the eating is hard for some,  it is only becauase we are used to the convience of what is out there.  No I don't go out to eat, no I don't buy prepared foods,  yes I make everything.  I have learned to enjoy that and include others in the process.  If this is what it takes to live a long and healthy life I feel it is worth it.

feel free to reach out to me personally as well,  send me an email here and i will send along my contact information

we can all do it and have fun in the process

Sharon

Just out of curiosity can you give an example of what you eat in a day?

• Hybridspirits
    ConnieSW said:

Sharon

Just out of curiosity can you give an example of what you eat in a day?

what i eat in a day

high level - I gave up all gluten and grains so that excludes all the gluten free processed food on the market.  No suger no sweets nothing

this is the diet i have been on since diagnosis (12/12/12) and I eliminated gluten and grain Thanksgiving 2013

breakfast - green smoothie:  1 - 2 cups organic spinach,  combination of 1 tsp of tumeric, organic unrefined coconut oil, pepper with a tablespoon of goats milk or sheeps milk yogurt that is totally pure bought locally, I add 1 big stalk of org kale, two pieces of org brocolli, some org celery leaves that i have from buying org celery,  chia seeds and 1/2 - 1 cup of organic frozen berries (rasberries, blackberries, strawberries) add some almond unsweetened milk  to add mosture.  I make this in a nutibullet, or if  you have a vitamix you could use that

i have no coffee,  I use org green sencha tea every morning steeped for 10 minutes

thats it for breakfast before i go to work

morning snack - combination of raw almonds, cashews, pistachios ( about 1/2 cup)

during the day i much on organic celery with homemade zuccini humus made with org ingredients or organic salsa with ingrediets that are whole along with a mashed org avacado

lunch - salad with sardines i make with onion/scalions etc... and some raw goats milk cheese. I do put some org balsamic on it but you have to limit that.  I bring this to work

sometimes i might have an organic green apple but not that often,  or i might have some fresh grapefruit etc  duinb the day.  I try to limit my fruti and munch on fresh veg

dinner  I try to use Paleo recipes within reason.  I plan dinner one week in adv (I am nuts but i am a organizer by nature).  so for example this week we are having wild sockeye salmon,  org striing beans, 1/2 org sweet potato one night.  I made my own meatballs with 100% grass fed beef that i got from a local farm (some whole foods have 100%, be careful if it doesn't say 100% it is grain fimished and not necessarily org grain) with some blanched almond flour, pastured egg (vital farms from WF) and org spices.  I did make this in a crockpot with org spaghetti casue from WF as the ingredients were only tomatoes and specific herbs listed, no sugar or other chemicals.  Only 1 WF type is like that.  I will have that on spaghetti squash.  Last night had sauteed bock choy with garlic, fresh ginger and I added some organic free range (haven't found pastured yet) with that.  Hope this gives you an example

very rare do i have anything like bread, never on the cookies, cake etc...  I have tried almond meal bread and it is okay not something i would eat every day.

I repeat the same green smoothie in the evening only difference is i add fresh cauliflower instead of the celery leaves and subsitute org virgin olive oil for the coconut oil.

I go through two pounds of org spinach, 1 pound of kale, 2 big bags of org celery (3 stalks each bag) and a large container of org spring mix from BJ's each week.

If i get hungry at night some celery, a few more almonds, recently i added raw peacans or a 1T or so  of almond butter from WF, on the list next to make myself. 

I drink lots of water during the day and i put in organic lemon juice with it.  Go through 1 lemon a day.  I do have org herbal fresh tea that i get locally or through Arbor teas or Harney and Sons

While this is a total shift in diet,  once i got used to it and found my resources to get recipes i was hooked.    Some people say I am crazy but my response to them usually is "if someone told you that eating the food in front of you could be deadly wouldn't you give it up"  while no one can tell us that it will cause us problems directly,  i have read and see evidence enough to see that it can only help

I like Jan feel wonderful,  my skin has never been so soft and glowing. I never need hand or face cream anymore.  I did give up traditional soap and only use goats milk with fresh lemon oil made locally so that might help as well

I also switched my makeup with Jan's help and per my oncologist haven't dyed the grey out of my hair post chemo.

does this help.   

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Integrative doctors

Dear Sungranny:

My brother and sister-in-law live in North Carolina.   They see a Dr. Vaughn.   She has helped them both out a lot.   Her website is http://www.vaughanmedical.com.    I am not sure if this is the same thing you are looking for.   Also, my sister-in-law gave me the following link to find integrative doctors in a particular area:  http://www.functionalmedicine.org.    I hope this helps.

There is nothing in the area where I live.  But now that I just found out that my Vitamin D level is low, I think I should go somewhere to check it out.   It was the first time in 8 years that anyone suggested checking it.   My new doctor ordered the test.  I will meet with him after my PET scan (which just got approved finally!).

My best to you!

Kathy

• Hybridspirits
    Kaleena said:

Integrative doctors

Dear Sungranny:

My brother and sister-in-law live in North Carolina.   They see a Dr. Vaughn.   She has helped them both out a lot.   Her website is http://www.vaughanmedical.com.    I am not sure if this is the same thing you are looking for.   Also, my sister-in-law gave me the following link to find integrative doctors in a particular area:  http://www.functionalmedicine.org.    I hope this helps.

There is nothing in the area where I live.  But now that I just found out that my Vitamin D level is low, I think I should go somewhere to check it out.   It was the first time in 8 years that anyone suggested checking it.   My new doctor ordered the test.  I will meet with him after my PET scan (which just got approved finally!).

My best to you!

Kathy

vitamin d

Glad you were tested as this is very important,  a lot written  up on this.  My only suggestion is that if you use supplements to get it up, don't stop once the number is up and not get retested.  that happended to me and i just dropped without knowing.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

vitamin d

Glad you were tested as this is very important,  a lot written  up on this.  My only suggestion is that if you use supplements to get it up, don't stop once the number is up and not get retested.  that happended to me and i just dropped without knowing.

Thanks for the advice.   I

Thanks for the advice.   I probably would have stopped.   I haven't seen my doctor yet because I am waiting to have my PET scan done first.   It was now moved to the 17th due to the snow storms.

• ConnieSW

what i eat in a day

high level - I gave up all gluten and grains so that excludes all the gluten free processed food on the market.  No suger no sweets nothing

this is the diet i have been on since diagnosis (12/12/12) and I eliminated gluten and grain Thanksgiving 2013

breakfast - green smoothie:  1 - 2 cups organic spinach,  combination of 1 tsp of tumeric, organic unrefined coconut oil, pepper with a tablespoon of goats milk or sheeps milk yogurt that is totally pure bought locally, I add 1 big stalk of org kale, two pieces of org brocolli, some org celery leaves that i have from buying org celery,  chia seeds and 1/2 - 1 cup of organic frozen berries (rasberries, blackberries, strawberries) add some almond unsweetened milk  to add mosture.  I make this in a nutibullet, or if  you have a vitamix you could use that

i have no coffee,  I use org green sencha tea every morning steeped for 10 minutes

thats it for breakfast before i go to work

morning snack - combination of raw almonds, cashews, pistachios ( about 1/2 cup)

during the day i much on organic celery with homemade zuccini humus made with org ingredients or organic salsa with ingrediets that are whole along with a mashed org avacado

lunch - salad with sardines i make with onion/scalions etc... and some raw goats milk cheese. I do put some org balsamic on it but you have to limit that.  I bring this to work

sometimes i might have an organic green apple but not that often,  or i might have some fresh grapefruit etc  duinb the day.  I try to limit my fruti and munch on fresh veg

dinner  I try to use Paleo recipes within reason.  I plan dinner one week in adv (I am nuts but i am a organizer by nature).  so for example this week we are having wild sockeye salmon,  org striing beans, 1/2 org sweet potato one night.  I made my own meatballs with 100% grass fed beef that i got from a local farm (some whole foods have 100%, be careful if it doesn't say 100% it is grain fimished and not necessarily org grain) with some blanched almond flour, pastured egg (vital farms from WF) and org spices.  I did make this in a crockpot with org spaghetti casue from WF as the ingredients were only tomatoes and specific herbs listed, no sugar or other chemicals.  Only 1 WF type is like that.  I will have that on spaghetti squash.  Last night had sauteed bock choy with garlic, fresh ginger and I added some organic free range (haven't found pastured yet) with that.  Hope this gives you an example

very rare do i have anything like bread, never on the cookies, cake etc...  I have tried almond meal bread and it is okay not something i would eat every day.

I repeat the same green smoothie in the evening only difference is i add fresh cauliflower instead of the celery leaves and subsitute org virgin olive oil for the coconut oil.

I go through two pounds of org spinach, 1 pound of kale, 2 big bags of org celery (3 stalks each bag) and a large container of org spring mix from BJ's each week.

If i get hungry at night some celery, a few more almonds, recently i added raw peacans or a 1T or so  of almond butter from WF, on the list next to make myself. 

I drink lots of water during the day and i put in organic lemon juice with it.  Go through 1 lemon a day.  I do have org herbal fresh tea that i get locally or through Arbor teas or Harney and Sons

While this is a total shift in diet,  once i got used to it and found my resources to get recipes i was hooked.    Some people say I am crazy but my response to them usually is "if someone told you that eating the food in front of you could be deadly wouldn't you give it up"  while no one can tell us that it will cause us problems directly,  i have read and see evidence enough to see that it can only help

I like Jan feel wonderful,  my skin has never been so soft and glowing. I never need hand or face cream anymore.  I did give up traditional soap and only use goats milk with fresh lemon oil made locally so that might help as well

I also switched my makeup with Jan's help and per my oncologist haven't dyed the grey out of my hair post chemo.

does this help.   

Sharon

I like all the things on your menu and I'm eating about 75% that way.  I haven't been willing to totally buy into the paleo thing and give up some food groups. I still eat some whole grains and dairy.  Steel cut oats with cinnamon, nuts and a chopped date is still my breakfast of choice.  Love green smoothies.  They really make it easy to get more veg in.

I'm working on the skin things since Jan gave us that reference.  Have you or she found a deodorant?  I have tried2 and don't like what must be an interaction between a common ingredient a and my chemistry.  It produces a strange odor and I might be better off with nothing since I don't perspire a lot.

• Hybridspirits
    ConnieSW said:

Sharon

I like all the things on your menu and I'm eating about 75% that way.  I haven't been willing to totally buy into the paleo thing and give up some food groups. I still eat some whole grains and dairy.  Steel cut oats with cinnamon, nuts and a chopped date is still my breakfast of choice.  Love green smoothies.  They really make it easy to get more veg in.

I'm working on the skin things since Jan gave us that reference.  Have you or she found a deodorant?  I have tried2 and don't like what must be an interaction between a common ingredient a and my chemistry.  It produces a strange odor and I might be better off with nothing since I don't perspire a lot.

deodorant

green smoothies are great.  at my last appt with my naturopath we discussed grains and I told her about my steel cut oats likey ou did. She shared that she is grain free, not my naturopath is local to Ct and never had Cancer.  So at that point I did give up the oatmeal but hear you as I do miss it.

As far as deodorant,  Jan suggested crystal body deodorant stick and I like it. I got it from IHERB.  You have to make sure the roller is wet and it works fine.

• Hybridspirits
    ConnieSW said:

Sharon

deodorant

green smoothies are great.  at my last appt with my naturopath we discussed grains and I told her about my steel cut oats likey ou did. She shared that she is grain free, not my naturopath is local to Ct and never had Cancer.  So at that point I did give up the oatmeal but hear you as I do miss it.

As far as deodorant,  Jan suggested crystal body deodorant stick and I like it. I got it from IHERB.  You have to make sure the roller is wet and it works fine.

• ConnieSW

deodorant

Thanks

I'm going to order some.  I was getting ready to have a go at making my own from a recipe I found on Pinterest.