Presurgical Testing Monday

CommuterMom
CommuterMom Member Posts: 120

I have my presurgical testing scheduled for Monday and reality is starting to set in.  Sometimes I'm calm, sometimes I'm scared. My husband has been acting like this is no big deal.  Well, not for him! I'm feeling blue again. Cry 

My sister in law had a laporoscopic surgery to remove a dermoid tumor from her ovary.  I went to see her in the hospital night of the surgery and she had already been released.  When I heard she was released so soon I wanted to bring her dinner but my husband asked her if she wanted to go to Frankie & Johnny's this family style resturant.  She said yes and ate a huge plate of pasta. I think this is what he is expecting of me.  

Comments

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Again, whatever you are

Again, whatever you are feeling is okay. Just try not to project into the "what ifs".. because it is fruitless, agree?

I have had two laproscopic surgeries and both were not very painful at all. In fact I remember pressing on incisions and saying, this doesn't hurt at all! The bigger incision was sore. I slept fine. I ate fine, except the narcotics make me too loopy for a long time. Found out I can no longer tolerate opiates with one kidney . And NSAIDS are not allowed any longer.

I was in hospital for 3 days, but I have other medical conditions they were monitoring so they did not rush me out the door. Since I was hallucinating on pain meds, they didn't want me too loopy when I left.

But that's me. Again, you are having major surgery tell your hubby. And resting is important. Who knows. He may be secretly scared and wants to put on a brave face! You know him best.

Be well and I'll be thinking of you my dear~

Warmly, Jan

• Frank302
    Frank302 Member Posts: 71
    Jan4you said:

Again, whatever you are

Again, whatever you are feeling is okay. Just try not to project into the "what ifs".. because it is fruitless, agree?

I have had two laproscopic surgeries and both were not very painful at all. In fact I remember pressing on incisions and saying, this doesn't hurt at all! The bigger incision was sore. I slept fine. I ate fine, except the narcotics make me too loopy for a long time. Found out I can no longer tolerate opiates with one kidney . And NSAIDS are not allowed any longer.

I was in hospital for 3 days, but I have other medical conditions they were monitoring so they did not rush me out the door. Since I was hallucinating on pain meds, they didn't want me too loopy when I left.

But that's me. Again, you are having major surgery tell your hubby. And resting is important. Who knows. He may be secretly scared and wants to put on a brave face! You know him best.

Warmly, Jan

Hey Girl

I had a laproscopic nephrectomy and it was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated . I was in the hospitol for only one night and snug in my own bed the next . I had a two and a half hour trip home and one thing I would do diffrently is I would have taken a pain med on my way home . I was fine during the trip but getting out of the car and into the house was a little painful . I had pain meds to last five days and that was all I needed . On the fifth day the pain was gone and all I had to do was take it easy and mend which went pretty quickly and with no drama .

As Jan said your husband should understand that not all sugeries are the same and what you are having is a pretty big deal. She's smart like that . You should listen to her. . He most likely already knows and is just acting tough for you . Guys are like that .

Like Jan , the narcotics made me loopy . Unlike Jan I never got over it and am just as loopy as a rattlesnake to this day . There are people who claim I was loopy before the narcotics . Maybe .

I know all will go well for you and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts .

• CommuterMom
    Jan4you said:

Again, whatever you are

Warmly, Jan

Thanks Jan.
    It really helps

Thanks Jan.

It really helps to hear from others who have been there.

It's hard when you are the one who is usually doing for everyone.

Mother Homemaker and Provider.  Many here say to take your time and recover and I'm worried about making money. I guess I'm no good to anyone if I'm not well.

• CommuterMom
    Frank302 said:

Hey Girl

I had a laproscopic nephrectomy and it was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated . I was in the hospitol for only one night and snug in my own bed the next . I had a two and a half hour trip home and one thing I would do diffrently is I would have taken a pain med on my way home . I was fine during the trip but getting out of the car and into the house was a little painful . I had pain meds to last five days and that was all I needed . On the fifth day the pain was gone and all I had to do was take it easy and mend which went pretty quickly and with no drama .

As Jan said your husband should understand that not all sugeries are the same and what you are having is a pretty big deal. She's smart like that . You should listen to her. . He most likely already knows and is just acting tough for you . Guys are like that .

Like Jan , the narcotics made me loopy . Unlike Jan I never got over it and am just as loopy as a rattlesnake to this day . There are people who claim I was loopy before the narcotics . Maybe .

I know all will go well for you and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts .

Thanks Frank....I need

Thanks Frank....I need encouragement and reassurance things will be alright. 

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

Thanks Jan.
    It really helps

Thanks Jan.

It really helps to hear from others who have been there.

It's hard when you are the one who is usually doing for everyone.

Mother Homemaker and Provider.  Many here say to take your time and recover and I'm worried about making money. I guess I'm no good to anyone if I'm not well.

Pre surgery testing is no big deal

Nothing to worry about.  The surgery is necessary so look forward to it and your recovery. Concentrate on how this is the best thing that you have ever done for yourself. Then think about how much better the rest of your life will be because of it. Think about all the positive outcomes from this. Every time you catch yourself worrying, change your focus. At least consider wearing your johnny backwards and walking the halls. If you can't make yourself smile, think of what it will do for the other patients. You'll be OK.

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Presurgical Tests!

Hi CM, 

I understand how you are feeling, we have all been there, the whole process is scary. Believe me though, once you are fully ensconced in your room and given something to help you relax, you will be able to deal with it. The waiting period is always the most stressful, once your in the moment your coping skills kick in. You will do just fine, you will surprise yourself!

A laporoscopic procedure on an ovary is obviously not in the same league as a kidney op. A partial nephrectomy is a complicated procedure. It is a painful procedure which is why you will be on strong pain meds. You will be shuffling around for a little while and will have trouble standing up straight. You won't be able to lift anything weighty for several weeks. Getting in and out of chairs is difficult, and finding a comfortable position at night is tough. You are going to need some help initially, so your husband needs to take this seriously, and be there when you need him. Just out of interest has your partner ever gone through any major surgery? 

Don't let yourself get down, you are tougher than you think! Just make sure you concentrate and prioritise your wellbeing, irrespective of what those around you expect from you.

Djinnie x

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Junior

Diana,

This is major abdominal surgery, not a procedure. I have never had to put up with a husband. A wife is enough.. Rent the movie Junior with Arnold Schwarstneger where Arnold gets pregnant. That made me sweat and will do the same for any guy.

Hope your surgery is on the lesser end of the stories here.

Icemantoo

• CommuterMom
    icemantoo said:

Junior

Diana,

This is major abdominal surgery, not a procedure. I have never had to put up with a husband. A wife is enough.. Rent the movie Junior with Arnold Schwarstneger where Arnold gets pregnant. That made me sweat and will do the same for any guy.

Hope your surgery is on the lesser end of the stories here.

Icemantoo

Dijinnie Ice and Fox
    You guys

Dijinnie Ice and Fox

You guys really rock and have no idea how much you have helped me through this time.

icemantoo how long have you bed here helping newbies like me?

Fox your words resonate.

Dijinne I know you are fighting your own recent battle and you still console a cry baby like me.

thank you....I may need you guys every step of the way.

• Djinnie

Dijinnie Ice and Fox
    You guys

Dijinnie Ice and Fox

You guys really rock and have no idea how much you have helped me through this time.

Fox your words resonate.

Dijinne I know you are fighting your own recent battle and you still console a cry baby like me.

Stay strong!

Don't be so hard on yourself, it is times like these you will show your metal, you will find that you are a lot stronger than you think you are! We will all be here to give you all the support you need, no worries!

Djinnie x

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    Djinnie said:

Stay strong!

Don't be so hard on yourself, it is times like these you will show your metal, you will find that you are a lot stronger than you think you are! We will all be here to give you all the support you need, no worries!

Djinnie x

Ah C. Mom...you had kids...

Ah C. Mom...you had kids... from what I have heard from other women, this is easier than child birth...  Heck the Doctor does all the work while you sleep..!  There will be some pain once you wake up... For me, the fact that the deed was done made me want to jump up and down for joy..!!  The presurgy stuff is nothing.. an EKG and a blood test, they weigh you and take blood pressure... ask a bunch of questions, and you fill out the forms.. done deal..  Sometimes they want more scans, but not likely in your case.. my tumor was well big...

Oh yes, some folks here named their tumor... too bad I did not think of that before surgery... 

Hang in there.. it WILL be OK...  If I were closer I would hold your hand.... Tongue Out

Holler at us when the deed is done..

Ron

• DSFrey
    DSFrey Member Posts: 69
    GSRon said:

Ah C. Mom...you had kids... from what I have heard from other women, this is easier than child birth...  Heck the Doctor does all the work while you sleep..!  There will be some pain once you wake up... For me, the fact that the deed was done made me want to jump up and down for joy..!!  The presurgy stuff is nothing.. an EKG and a blood test, they weigh you and take blood pressure... ask a bunch of questions, and you fill out the forms.. done deal..  Sometimes they want more scans, but not likely in your case.. my tumor was well big...

Oh yes, some folks here named their tumor... too bad I did not think of that before surgery... 

Hang in there.. it WILL be OK...  If I were closer I would hold your hand.... Tongue Out

Ron

I'm kinda jealous

My presurgery testing is Monday too, nobody has offered to hold my hand. Cry

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

Dijinnie Ice and Fox
    You guys

Dijinnie Ice and Fox

Fox your words resonate.

Helping newbies

Diana,

I have been here tring to help the Newbies for a little over 4 years (Joined: Jan 2010). I try to be helpful , respectful and add something positive if not humerous. Your comment caught my attention a few weeks ago where you had an unrealistic intention of being back to work a week or 2 after the surgery with an extra ordinary commute to and from work each day. At least now you have impute from a variety of others to address that question.

Have the surgery. Get well. Don't rush it.

Icemantoo

• Djinnie
    DSFrey said:

I'm kinda jealous

Official hand holder!

Oh! DS we can't have that! I will hold your hand, in fact I'll hold both hands! Albeit very distantly!  All the best this week:)

Djinnie x

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    icemantoo said:

Helping newbies

Diana,

I have been here tring to help the Newbies for a little over 4 years (Joined: Jan 2010). I try to be helpful , respectful and add something positive if not humerous. Your comment caught my attention a few weeks ago where you had an unrealistic intention of being back to work a week or 2 after the surgery with an extra ordinary commute to and from work each day. At least now you have impute from a variety of others to address that question.

Have the surgery. Get well. Don't rush it.

Icemantoo

Hi Diana,
    The most painful

Hi Diana,

The most painful part of the pre-surgery for me was the weigh in!!! The truth hurts! Everyone at pre-surgery is usually very kind and reassurng. But I know that is not your real worry.

Maybe find a good article on line about the procedure and have your hubby read it. Maybe that will educate him a bit. My hubby is wonderful, but he internalizes everything and often won't say anything about what is bothering him. At first I thought what I was about to go through had no effect on him. He didn't react the way I would react if the tables were turned. It wasn't until the night that his best friend died, and we had a couple of drinks in his honor, that he finally broke down and said "please pull through this". He is very loving and sweet but I still had to ask him to do things. I was doing laundry 2 days after I got home. I was cooking and doing dishes the day after I got home -while he watched tv. I did get a little angry about it (thinking "are you KIDDING me? Even me having cancer doesn't inspire you to get up and help me?") But I have realized that some men don't mind doing things - but they have to be asked every time. So I adapt as best as I can. I look at it as a trade off because he is very patient, kind and loving to me. And Lord knows I ain't perfect either!

And after the surgery, I felt a huge sense of relief once the procedure was done. You will have it all behind you soon and you will be moving forward.

Hang tough, girl. You can do it!

Hugs

Jojo

• CommuterMom
    DSFrey said:

I'm kinda jealous

DS Frey

When is your surgery?  I'm going in Thursday. I think you go after me right? I can give you my blow by blow and hopefully it will not frighten you.  What Fox said made lots of sense.

• CommuterMom
    GSRon said:

Ron

Ron you have a point!

My labor was hard 11 hours and then they cut me. The epidural didn't even take the edge off. I'm sure the did it wrong in the hillbilly hospital I gave birth in. I went to work in 5 weeks and it was a little tough but I had the hormone thing going on. I was getting sweaty. I remember it was hard getting up and going down sitting or lying.  I just keep thinking about the little girl who was brains dead after her tonsillectomy. My son is only 9.

-Diana

• CommuterMom
    Jojo61 said:

Hi Diana,
    The most painful

Hi Diana,

The most painful part of the pre-surgery for me was the weigh in!!! The truth hurts! Everyone at pre-surgery is usually very kind and reassurng. But I know that is not your real worry.

Maybe find a good article on line about the procedure and have your hubby read it. Maybe that will educate him a bit. My hubby is wonderful, but he internalizes everything and often won't say anything about what is bothering him. At first I thought what I was about to go through had no effect on him. He didn't react the way I would react if the tables were turned. It wasn't until the night that his best friend died, and we had a couple of drinks in his honor, that he finally broke down and said "please pull through this". He is very loving and sweet but I still had to ask him to do things. I was doing laundry 2 days after I got home. I was cooking and doing dishes the day after I got home -while he watched tv. I did get a little angry about it (thinking "are you KIDDING me? Even me having cancer doesn't inspire you to get up and help me?") But I have realized that some men don't mind doing things - but they have to be asked every time. So I adapt as best as I can. I look at it as a trade off because he is very patient, kind and loving to me. And Lord knows I ain't perfect either!

And after the surgery, I felt a huge sense of relief once the procedure was done. You will have it all behind you soon and you will be moving forward.

Hugs

Jojo

Jojo

I'm not a fan of the scale either but I think what worries me is either  the thought of finding more cancer in my body or not being able to have the surgery. My cyst or tumor is small. I have no real health issues except an underactive thyroid. I think a lot of my fears have no basis.  I do feel encouraged hearing you were able to do laundry or dishes. I hate being helpless. My husband is not the loving type at all. He is the helpless type. I think this experience will show his true colors. I wonder what they will be?? 

Thanks!

Diana

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Jojo61 said:

Hi Diana,
    The most painful

Hi Diana,

Hugs

Jojo

I think I know

why men have to be asked to do things. If my wife just let it be up to me to know when to vacuum, I would probably do it once a week. Seems to me thats when it has to be done. But her timetable says to do it every 2-3 days. So she is always vacuuming and my turn never seems to come up because she has already done it. So to me, it doesn't need it yet.

The most painful part was the weigh in.  That's funny.

• DSFrey

DS Frey

When is your surgery?  I'm going in Thursday. I think you go after me right? I can give you my blow by blow and hopefully it will not frighten you.  What Fox said made lots of sense.

Look forward to hear how it goes for you

Correct, mine is the following Wednesday after you have yours. I don't think you will frighten me. I'm actually looking forward to mine as my little tumor is actually causing me some pain in my lower back and I'll be glad when they get this thing out of me. Oh, and best wishes for a speedy recovery for you.

• DSFrey
    Djinnie said:

Official hand holder!

Oh! DS we can't have that! I will hold your hand, in fact I'll hold both hands! Albeit very distantly!  All the best this week:)

Djinnie x

Thanks!

The distance doesn't matter, only the strength of the grip!