Sleeping position after sub total gastrectomy

80_80
80_80 Member Posts: 16
Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to sleep after a subtotal gastrectomy? Acid reflux problem.

Comments

• p3chief
    p3chief Member Posts: 2
    I had a Vagotomy/Antrectomy

I had a Vagotomy/Antrectomy Bilroth II in 1972 for Bleeding Ulcers. I have had Bile reflux for 40 years and have found I do best with the bed elevated and sleep on my left side. If durning the night I roll over on my back or Worse, my right side I aspirate bile into my right lung, nose and throat. My trusty Golden Retriver faithfully sleeps up next to my back and discourages me getting out of position. Best of luck to you!

• p3chief
    p3chief Member Posts: 2
    I had a Vagotomy/Antrectomy

I had a Vagotomy/Antrectomy Bilroth II in 1972 for Bleeding Ulcers. I have had Bile reflux for 40 years and have found I do best with the bed elevated and sleep on my left side. If durning the night I roll over on my back or Worse, my right side I aspirate bile into my right lung, nose and throat. My trusty Golden Retriver faithfully sleeps up next to my back and discourages me getting out of position. Best of luck to you!

• GaryOlson
    GaryOlson Member Posts: 17
    Better sleep after a gastrectomy.

It sounds silly, but I find it helpful to eat a few triscuits before going to bed.  It seems to absorb the acid and makes sleeping easier.  I've heard other people have similar results from eating slices of an apple.

• GaryOlson
    GaryOlson Member Posts: 17
    Tips on how to sleep better after a gastrectomy.

You didn't mention having a wedge, which you might want to look into.

Here is a link to a web site that has some information on how to deal with life after a gastrectomy.

http://www.stomachcancersurvivorsguide.org/after-treatment/reflux/

Check it out, you might find it helpful.

Gary

• 80_80
    80_80 Member Posts: 16
    Just a follow up. Thanks all

Just a follow up. Thanks all for comments. I did purchase a wedge and it definately helps. I also found that eating grits or oatmeal as a snack seems to absorb acid reflux (at least with me) or calms it down.