Stem Cell - High Dose CEB (or CVB not sure)

Shoopy
Shoopy Member Posts: 210

Hi all,

Need a little help here.  I'm meeting with doctor tomorrow to discuss my stem cell transplant next month.  Remember, I've been through 2 R-CHOP, 3 R-DHAC, 1 R-ICE (second scheduled for a couple weeks from now).  They believe my DLBCL is becoming chemo resistant.  The plan to start the SCT in early November.

SCT starts with high dose chemo.  From what I've read it's either BEAM or BEAC.  As I'm reading over the material, my doctor is reading CEB (etoposide, cyclophosphamid, and BCNU)--might be abbreviated CVB--not sure yet.  The way the information is presented...it sounds like a 'study'.  I already have a ton of questions for the doctor relating to that fact.

I'm wondering...regardless of the type of lymphoma...has anyone gone through CEB chemo (high dose)?  What can you tell me about it.  I've come across a couple articles from back in the 90s but nothing recent.

Thank you,

Karl

Comments

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    Karl

I'm sorry I can't help with this one. I don't really know much of anything about the procedures for SCT. I'll bet you do have a ton of questions for your doctor! Good luck today. Let us know how it goes, OK? I'm praying for you.

Big, huge (((Hugs)))

Rocquie

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    ICE

Karl,

I asked two doctors at my practice what second-line therapy would be for me, if I ever needed it.   Note :  I had HL, NOT NHL.  Both said "High dose ICE, followed by SCT."  One of the doctors is director of stem cell transplantation at the group.

I do not know what NHL would be, but I suspect it would be different.  Call your oncologist and ask.  It is a $5.00 question, and you are paying them a million.  An RN can find out and call you back in ten minutes .

SCT for NHL, in most cases, is established protocol, but that does not mean they are not considering you for a study.   Ask that question also. 

Chemocare.com lists "CVP," but does not list a "CEP."    See link.  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/acronyms/cvp.aspx

Bless you, man.

max

• Shoopy
    Shoopy Member Posts: 210

ICE

Karl,

I asked two doctors at my practice what second-line therapy would be for me, if I ever needed it.   Note :  I had HL, NOT NHL.  Both said "High dose ICE, followed by SCT."  One of the doctors is director of stem cell transplantation at the group.

I do not know what NHL would be, but I suspect it would be different.  Call your oncologist and ask.  It is a $5.00 question, and you are paying them a million.  An RN can find out and call you back in ten minutes .

SCT for NHL, in most cases, is established protocol, but that does not mean they are not considering you for a study.   Ask that question also. 

Chemocare.com lists "CVP," but does not list a "CEP."    See link.  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/acronyms/cvp.aspx

Bless you, man.

max

Explained

R-ICE is my salvage therapy but with DLBCL they normally give you a different high dose chemo as part of the SCT.  My doctor is recommending CVB and not BEAM.  They way she expressed it: "It's like a west cost/east coast thing."  On the east coast we normally give CVB.  They both have the same survival rates and CVB is just a bit more powerful.

She also warned me about calling therapies by their initials.  She said there is little standardization...especially for the lesser known chemos cocktails.

Thanks,

Karl

• DadysGirl
    DadysGirl Member Posts: 346
    Shoopy said:

Explained

R-ICE is my salvage therapy but with DLBCL they normally give you a different high dose chemo as part of the SCT.  My doctor is recommending CVB and not BEAM.  They way she expressed it: "It's like a west cost/east coast thing."  On the east coast we normally give CVB.  They both have the same survival rates and CVB is just a bit more powerful.

She also warned me about calling therapies by their initials.  She said there is little standardization...especially for the lesser known chemos cocktails.

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl,My Dad was given

Hi Karl,

My Dad was given Beam during sct even though east coast new York... 

Wishing the final decision will be the best decision for you to recover to a cure.

Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    Shoopy said:

Explained

Thanks,

Karl

Treatment Plan

Hi Karl, I think I would like your doctor very much! I like her explanations and I really like her warning about calling therapies by their initials--makes a lot of sense.

I hope you are feeling well. Thank you for keeping us posted as you move through this next intense phase of treatment.

Hugs,

Rocquie