Back to work?

mom2two
mom2two Member Posts: 48

I know this is a pretty difficult question with lots of variables (ie. age, condition, tumor, size of incision, type of work, etc etc).  But if you had an open partial nephrectomy (or even a radical), how long before you went back to work?

I am on my feet all day, and I do a lot of twisting, bending, pulling, pushing, etc. 

Just wanted an idea of how long it took everyone. I have asked for 8 weeks, but my doctor said I would only need 4 to 6 weeks. I was surprised by that after the posts I have read on here.

Thanks!

Kathy

Comments

• TillieSOK
    TillieSOK Member Posts: 252
    First of all....you will NOT

First of all....you will NOT be doing much twisting, bending, pulling, etc. for several months after your surgery, mainly because it will still be too painful.  A partial is much more complicated than a radical, and a radical is bad enough to recover from, so let your body tell you when you are ready.  Hugs and good luck with your surgery.  8 weeks will probably be just about right.  My surgeon told me I'd be up and 100% within 3 weeks. HAH!  Some of these drs have obviously never have been on the receiving end of a nephrectomy, either partial or radical.

• mom2two
    TillieSOK said:

First of all....you will NOT

First of all....you will NOT be doing much twisting, bending, pulling, etc. for several months after your surgery, mainly because it will still be too painful.  A partial is much more complicated than a radical, and a radical is bad enough to recover from, so let your body tell you when you are ready.  Hugs and good luck with your surgery.  8 weeks will probably be just about right.  My surgeon told me I'd be up and 100% within 3 weeks. HAH!  Some of these drs have obviously never have been on the receiving end of a nephrectomy, either partial or radical.

Thank you for replying

I thought it was kind of odd that he said that especially since I had read so many on here saying they were still in pain months later. 

I had a partial pancreatectomy, which was really quite painful. It took me three months to get back to work. 

• rebecca9892
    rebecca9892 Member Posts: 10
    I went back to work after 8

I went back to work after 8 weeks. I think slow walking is a better idea. hope you get well soon.

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    mom2two, all i can say is

mom2two, all i can say is slow and steady wins the race!!  take your time getting over this.  everyone is different but i was fit for nothing for months!!  sure even after a caesarean you can do nothing for 6 weeks!!  it will be better for you in the long run if you take it easy for as long as you can.  its not just the physical aspect but the tiredness can be tough while you body adjusts and there is also the mental side of dealing with all that you have been through.......

you mind yourself...

eims x

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    Doctors are optimists

It will be six weeks befor ethey clear you for lifting, if all goes well.

I know with my lapro radical, I was out for 9 weeks (things got infected, reseting the clock).  And my job involves sitting on my **** all day, analyzing data.

If you push yourself, you will have problems later. 

• Darron
    Darron Member Posts: 310 Member
    3 weeks

I had a full on my right kidney on Oct 16 2012 and was back to work on November 5 (3weeks). I was 42 and in good health. I work a desk job and my boss understood I would be tired. The first week or so, I didn't work full days, Usually a total of 6 hours dur to small breaks here and there. I was still sore and would get up from my desk and take short walks.

Drink lots of waster, take short walks and get lots of rest. A good positive attitude goes a long way. You may need 6-8 weeks, everyone is different. For me, getting back to a relatively normal life was good for me mentally. Again, everyone is different, and I have heard that partials take a little longer.

Give yourself time and listen to your body. Don't get too down after surgery. I was amazed of the change every day. I remember being scared to ride in the car on the 4th day because bumps in the road would be too painful. 

Take he time YOU need!

Good luck!

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Eight weeks sounds about right

Kathy,

With a prior surgical history 8 weeks sounds about right unless the job is very physical. You may feel like getting back sooner and their are a few on this board who have had set backs and 8 weeks is not enough.

If you are having a good recovery you could ask work if you could come back earlier with a shorter day and ease into a full day over a few weeks.

Icemantoo

• AprilandChuck
    AprilandChuck Member Posts: 110
    Chucks Urological Oncologist

Chucks Urological Oncologist told him  recovery time differs as does time he recommends people to return to work Chuck had a hand assisted laporscopic nephrectomy radical right kidney..he is an auto mechanic..and did a lot of lifting pulling and pushing..so hevkept him out longer than he would someone with a desk job about 10 wks..he told chuck if he could sit at a desk he could return as soon as 3..but since that was a no..he released him back to work at 10 with a pretty stern note to Chuck and his boss about him starting bacl slow..don't push yourself..alls I can conclude is your doctor deals with a lot of people who work in offices

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798

Chucks Urological Oncologist

Chucks Urological Oncologist told him  recovery time differs as does time he recommends people to return to work Chuck had a hand assisted laporscopic nephrectomy radical right kidney..he is an auto mechanic..and did a lot of lifting pulling and pushing..so hevkept him out longer than he would someone with a desk job about 10 wks..he told chuck if he could sit at a desk he could return as soon as 3..but since that was a no..he released him back to work at 10 with a pretty stern note to Chuck and his boss about him starting bacl slow..don't push yourself..alls I can conclude is your doctor deals with a lot of people who work in offices

Yes, isn't it amazing how quickly some doctors recover from the operations their patients have - often it's no bother at all!

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member

Yes, isn't it amazing how quickly some doctors recover from the operations their patients have - often it's no bother at all!

Yes, the Wedge-a-matic speaks

Yes, the Wedge-a-matic speaks volumes of truth..!  The Nurses also are real keen to frequently hit the up or down buttons on the bed, thus inflicting major pain upon you..  Heck, they don't feel a thing..!!

Ron :)

• Sandi45
    Sandi45 Member Posts: 25
    Hi Kathy,
    I had a full

Hi Kathy,

I had a full laproscopic  neph in 2006 and it took me the full 6 weeks to recover and I was still totally exhausted when I went back to work. I did it and it was ok, but I was definitely tired. I was 41 years old then. 

I am going to have a partial open neph in 2 weeks and am thinking that will be worse, according to what I read here. 

Good luck with your recovery!

• mom2two
    Sandi45 said:

Hi Kathy,
    I had a full

Hi Kathy,

I had a full laproscopic  neph in 2006 and it took me the full 6 weeks to recover and I was still totally exhausted when I went back to work. I did it and it was ok, but I was definitely tired. I was 41 years old then. 

I am going to have a partial open neph in 2 weeks and am thinking that will be worse, according to what I read here. 

Sandi

I am so sorry you are going through this again! How big was your original tumor? It sounds like it was total nephrectomy? How big is your tumor.. (((hugs)) to you

• Eims
    Sandi45 said:

Hi Kathy,
    I had a full

Hi Kathy,

sandi were they keeping a

sandi were they keeping a check on you all the time?  is that how they discovered it the second time?  the open is tough but you will get through it...

eims x

• Sandi45
    mom2two said:

Sandi

I am so sorry you are going through this again! How big was your original tumor? It sounds like it was total nephrectomy? How big is your tumor.. (((hugs)) to you

Thanks for the hugs!
    My

Thanks for the hugs!

My original kidney issue was due to a blockage from a kidney stone. It became lodged in the ureter and the kidney couldn't empty and became infected and that ruined it. I know it sounds crazy that I didn't even know about the blockage but there was no pain. I have had plenty of kidney stones so I know what that feels like lol. So they did the full nephrectomy on that kidney in 2006.

Two years ago during a ct scan they found a 3mm renal cyst which they didn't feel was anything. I usually just go in for blood work every six months and this last time the GP said that my numbers were up a bit and she wanted me to go in and see the nephrologist for a check up just in case.  They did another ct scan and the cyst had doubled. She then referred me to a urologist who specializes in cancer and I had an MRI. 

I met with him last week and he told me that he felt that it was RCC and that I needed the partial nephrectomy. Obviously I can only have a partial because it's my only kidney.  He feels that everything will go well and that I shouldn't have any problems. But we did talk everything out even further just in case something happens to the kidney. I would have dialysis and eventually a transplant, which I am really hoping doesn't happen, will just have to wait and see.

Surgery is scheduled for Sept 18, so 2 weeks from today.

• Sandi45
    Eims said:

sandi were they keeping a

sandi were they keeping a check on you all the time?  is that how they discovered it the second time?  the open is tough but you will get through it...

eims x

Mostly they just kept up with

Mostly they just kept up with the blood work and kidney numbers. I had a ct scan two years ago and then one a  month ago.  I suppose in hind sight I should have had one after a year, but with no issues really, I didn't ask for one. 

I was surprised to read on here that a partial is harder to recover from than a full neph. But it does make sense. I just had not thought about it much I guess. I am worried about the open surgery, but I really need to stop reading things from google haha and I would probably be better off! Laughing

• Eims
    Sandi45 said:

Mostly they just kept up with

Mostly they just kept up with the blood work and kidney numbers. I had a ct scan two years ago and then one a  month ago.  I suppose in hind sight I should have had one after a year, but with no issues really, I didn't ask for one. 

I was surprised to read on here that a partial is harder to recover from than a full neph. But it does make sense. I just had not thought about it much I guess. I am worried about the open surgery, but I really need to stop reading things from google haha and I would probably be better off! Laughing

i remember my doc telling me

i remember my doc telling me there is more involved in the partial because of shutting off blood vessels and stuff!!  to be honest people on here will tell you the real deal and yep stop looking at doctor google!!

eims x