I need to get some thoughts about the port

Deena11
Deena11 Member Posts: 199 Member

It will be a year since my last chemo treatment in a couple of weeks.  I've had clear blood tests since then (thank goodness!!).  I have a question about getting my port out...

I know quite a few of you had your port removed soon after your last treatment.  I've been a little superstitious and decided to keep it in for a year in case I needed additional treatments.  One of the Onc. nurses told me that once the port is removed, I will not be able to get it put back into that side again if I ever need to get more treatments.  I know quite a few of you have had new cancer diagnoses or have been treated for recurrences of the original cancer.  If you had to have ports implanted multiple times, is it true you can't use the same side more than once?  If you used both sides, how did you get infusions (arms maybe?).

I'm a bit worried about having this thing removed if that means I can only use the other side if I have a recurrence. 

Thanks!!

Deena

Comments

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    PORT

I think the nurse is full of it.  Ask your Oncologist if the nurse is accurate.  Get her(the onc) opinion about removing the port. Glad to know that you are NED!!!

• joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    Port

I have had a port (the same port) for just about over 20 months.

I've been on and off chemo for various periods of time.  

My question back to you, would be "is the port bothersome to you?"  

and, the next question... what's the rush?

I just checked your profile and it says that your cancer was in the colon and in 14 lymph nodes... so did they call that Stage II?

my port has never bothered me... however, since I am stage IV, I've never thought much about getting it out... but have thought "what if this port doesn't work anymore?"

I don't have an answer for you... but hopefully my babble helps you to ask questions of yourself and/or your medical staff.

all my best

Joe

• Deena11
    joemetz said:

Port

I just checked your profile and it says that your cancer was in the colon and in 14 lymph nodes... so did they call that Stage II?

my port has never bothered me... however, since I am stage IV, I've never thought much about getting it out... but have thought "what if this port doesn't work anymore?"

I don't have an answer for you... but hopefully my babble helps you to ask questions of yourself and/or your medical staff.

all my best

Joe

Thanks

I had stage III cancer.  The port really doesn't bother me.  I can sleep fine on that side so I guess there isn't a reason to have it removed in the near future.  I'll ask my Onc. if a port can be put on that same side again after it is removed.  I'm still curious about that.

If anyone out there has had their port removed and then replaced after a period of time on the same side, that would be great to know.

Yep, had my blood test last Friday and it came out clear!  BIG sigh of relief.  I'm getting a CAT in October.

Laughing

Deena

• mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Deena11 said:

Thanks

I had stage III cancer.  The port really doesn't bother me.  I can sleep fine on that side so I guess there isn't a reason to have it removed in the near future.  I'll ask my Onc. if a port can be put on that same side again after it is removed.  I'm still curious about that.

If anyone out there has had their port removed and then replaced after a period of time on the same side, that would be great to know.

Yep, had my blood test last Friday and it came out clear!  BIG sigh of relief.  I'm getting a CAT in October.

Laughing

Deena

Deena

Deena,

I had a power port in the right shoulder/neck area.  After 3 years remission from Stage IV I had it removed.  It didn't bother me other than being visible when I wore tank tops.  Now that it's out the scar is visible when I wear tanks but my kids are less likely to ask about it.  I did have the removal done under local anesthesia and I practically fainted.  I have a high pain tolerance but I wish I had gone under general to have it removed.  I decided last minute so I could drive my kids to practices that night and not have any residual effects from the anesthetic.

While I have not had multiple ports put in I know individuals that have done so and have had them placed on the same side.  I am not sure what your nurse is talking about but I have never heard that once a powerport is removed it cannot be re-installed.  I would certainly ask your doctor.  But, if it's not bothering you and you are able to handle the saline flushes every 6-8 weeks (I know I had a co-pay for that), I would leave it in a while longer.  I have virtually met a number of Stage III patients having their ports replaced after a recurrence.  We all pray it won't happen to you but it's one less thing to worry about in the event that it did.  And, you could get right back to treatment if necessary and not worry about scheduling a surgeon.

Just my 2 cents.  Good thoughts to you!

Amy

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi

While I don't have a port, I have heard of folks having one, removing it and then getting another on the same side.

I would imagine that the only possible reason for having to use a different location would be if there was too much scar tissue from where it was removed the first time.

Marie who loves kitties

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Get it out

My Oncologst wants me to get my port out as soon as I get my first clear CT scan, which should be in about two or so weeks.  He said he doesn't likle the risk of clots or infection if it is left in too long.

It does not bother me at all, and I wouldn't have been opposed to keeping it there for a while longer, but will do as Doc tells me, as I respect his opinopn.

I am with you about not getting it done in his office. I've heard stories that lead me to want to get it out in the same hospital I had it put in. I had Propofol, so not a general anesthetic but I'll be out cold.

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I have had 2 ports. Both on

I have had 2 ports. Both on the same side. I had mine removed as soon as I was done with treatment. You said that you are superstitious. I am but for a different reason. Mine is that if I leave it in I am expecting to need it again in the near future. Plus I hate that constant reminder and the maintinance of getting it flushed. And there is the risk of developing a DVT (blood clot).

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Trubrit said:

Get it out

My Oncologst wants me to get my port out as soon as I get my first clear CT scan, which should be in about two or so weeks.  He said he doesn't likle the risk of clots or infection if it is left in too long.

It does not bother me at all, and I wouldn't have been opposed to keeping it there for a while longer, but will do as Doc tells me, as I respect his opinopn.

I am with you about not getting it done in his office. I've heard stories that lead me to want to get it out in the same hospital I had it put in. I had Propofol, so not a general anesthetic but I'll be out cold.

You have a good oncologist

You have a good oncologist for thinking that way. I had to go over my now former oncologist head staright to my surgeon to get it out last time because he was unwilling to answer me. That is not the first time I had to go over his head. What a jerk.

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

I have had 2 ports. Both on

I have had 2 ports. Both on the same side. I had mine removed as soon as I was done with treatment. You said that you are superstitious. I am but for a different reason. Mine is that if I leave it in I am expecting to need it again in the near future. Plus I hate that constant reminder and the maintinance of getting it flushed. And there is the risk of developing a DVT (blood clot).

I got mine out after 6 months

I got mine out after 6 months of NED.  Glad I did, hated that thing

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    I had a second port put in.

I had a second port put in.  It is an easy procedure, and the port was scratching me from the inside.  My second port does not irritate me like the first one did.  Still, If I do not need the port, I will have it removed.  

Best Always,  mike

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    If I got a year clean

I think I would remove the port too.  I've had the same one for 3 years now and it still works great so I can't tell you about a second one.  I will say I'm thankful for the port especially today, they went to do a bone scan, inserted needle got a good return in my arm, then when they went to inject the vein collapsed and then they went to the other side, found vein wiggle and wiggled the needle around and gave up, when she went for third I said I was done, so they got a person to come down and access the port, I don't know if my veins are good for injections anymore, I was sure glad for the port today.

Winter Marie

• Deena11
    Thanks for your comments

I appreciate your feedback.  Sounds like a few of you were able to have another port implanted on the same side after one had been removed.  Not sure why the nurse told me that.  I'll ask my Onc Dr. about it but have decided to keep the port in a little longer since it doesn't bother me.  Wonder what the odds of getting a blood clot in the port are?  Pretty rare, I guess.

Thanks so much for the comments!!

• Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    Deena11 said:

Thanks for your comments

I appreciate your feedback.  Sounds like a few of you were able to have another port implanted on the same side after one had been removed.  Not sure why the nurse told me that.  I'll ask my Onc Dr. about it but have decided to keep the port in a little longer since it doesn't bother me.  Wonder what the odds of getting a blood clot in the port are?  Pretty rare, I guess.

My surgical oncologist

My surgical oncologist recommended having the port removed now that I am NED after finishing chemo in January.  So, I am going in for my last port flush tomorrow and will discuss it with my medical oncologistI. I am ready to have it out.  The surgeon also mentioned the blot clot issue...so I guess it does happen.  I will have the same surgeon that put it in remove it...hopefully in the hospital.

alex

• Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    Deena11 said:

Thanks for your comments

My surgical oncologist

My surgical oncologist recommended having the port removed now that I am NED after finishing chemo in January.  So, I am going in for my last port flush tomorrow and will discuss it with my medical oncologistI. I am ready to have it out.  The surgeon also mentioned the blot clot issue...so I guess it does happen.  I will have the same surgeon that put it in remove it...hopefully in the hospital.

alex

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Port

My port hurt me because it stuck out so far and being right on the collar bone with no fat to protect it, it would hurt if someone hugged me.  Mine was taken out with a local and therefore, was able to leave right after getting it out.  You just need to be comfortable with your decision.

Kim

• tammyghent
    tammyghent Member Posts: 9
    joemetz said:

Port

all my best

Joe

Port Removal

I have had my port in now a year and a half after completing chemo. It has not bothered me at all. I guess I kind of thought about leaving it there until I am at least at the 3 year survival point. I was advanced stage 111 so I know my chances of recurrence are pretty good. After reading these comments though I wonder if I've made the right decision. Nobody has ever said anything to me about an infection risk. I get it flushed out every 4-6 wks. Should  I have it removed?

• Momof2plusteentwins
    Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
    Port
    I had my 1st port removed because I started leaking chemo. I had the 2nd port on the same side. I finished chemo Dec 2012 and I still have 2nd port. Onc doesn't want to remove until 2 years after clear scans. The bad thing about my port is it doesn't draw blood. It hasn't drawn almost the whole time I had it. So, even though I am getting labs every month they still have to stick me. Then I have to get my port flushed. I will be glad to get rid of it, tired of getting stuck twice every time I go to onc.
    Sandy
  • Deena11

Port
    I had my 1st port removed because I started leaking chemo. I had the 2nd port on the same side. I finished chemo Dec 2012 and I still have 2nd port. Onc doesn't want to remove until 2 years after clear scans. The bad thing about my port is it doesn't draw blood. It hasn't drawn almost the whole time I had it. So, even though I am getting labs every month they still have to stick me. Then I have to get my port flushed. I will be glad to get rid of it, tired of getting stuck twice every time I go to onc.
    Sandy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback

Thanks so much for all the opinions shared with me.  I have a lot to think about.  It also sounds like the port can be reimplanted on the same sise wihich was a big concern of mine.  I appreciate your thoughts!! 

Deena

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    I get another CT scan next

I get another CT scan next month and my onc said if it's clear then I can get the port removed.  It doesn't bother me, it's just a reminder of what I went thru so I definitely want to get rid of it.  He also said it's done with a local in the doctor's office which really scares me.  They put me under to put it in so I want to be put under to take it out!

• Deena11
    Me too

I have a CT scan in October so I guess I'll make my decsion then too.  I definitely want to be asleep when they take it out.  I'm going to ask for that and hopefully they won't have a problem with that.  I don't want to even hear what they are doing as they take it out!  Put me out!

Sealed