5 days post op....

pauley13
pauley13 Member Posts: 35

Well its been 5 days now and still really sore. maingas pains.  Itd a lil different to get comfortable.  Proplr get aggravate d that I move so muvh, afraid I will bust somethinh open',,, any suggestionsn on becoming moremcomfotable?? "Can I lay on thr side I had surgery? ? Thanks 

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    That darn initiation

Crystal,

Each day will get a little better. That first week or two really sucks. Relax as much as possible. You will get better.

Icemantoo

• pauley13
    icemantoo said:

That darn initiation

Crystal,

Each day will get a little better. That first week or two really sucks. Relax as much as possible. You will get better.

Icemantoo

icemantoo

Did you havd a lot of back pain? 

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    pauley13 said:

icemantoo

Did you havd a lot of back pain? 

Pain

Crystal, 

Following surgery everything hurts. It will get better.

Icemantoo

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    icemantoo said:

Pain

Crystal, 

Following surgery everything hurts. It will get better.

Icemantoo

Only 5 days..?

5 days and you are here..?? Wow..!  Hey, I could barely move at 5 days and was still in the ICU..  Hold on.. it WILL get better.. a week from now you will be singing..!  I bet you are glad it is over..!

Be Well..

Ron

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    GSRon said:

Only 5 days..?

5 days and you are here..?? Wow..!  Hey, I could barely move at 5 days and was still in the ICU..  Hold on.. it WILL get better.. a week from now you will be singing..!  I bet you are glad it is over..!

Be Well..

Ron

impatient are we?

The things you saw Rambo do after getting blown up is only in the movies.  Be patient. You had your guts disturbed. Reflexes want to protect you from doing something too stupid too soon. So you hurt. You can't move. Sleep poorly and get weak. With some time and progressive "normal" activity it gets better.

• MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    foxhd said:

impatient are we?

The things you saw Rambo do after getting blown up is only in the movies.  Be patient. You had your guts disturbed. Reflexes want to protect you from doing something too stupid too soon. So you hurt. You can't move. Sleep poorly and get weak. With some time and progressive "normal" activity it gets better.

What Fox said!
    Only way I got

What Fox said!

Only way I got back on the boards was through my wife logging in and posting for me! LOL

This al wil pass! Have patience and allow yourself the luxury of taking it easy.  Pain meds help too!  As far as sleeping, I found a crab-like position that allowed some side laying, without discomfort, but it took a lot of tries! LOL

Prepare for alittle discomfort and lingering nausea for a few days,but even that will clear up.

Congratulations on getting that invader out of your body! I am so glad it was sent packing!

Have hope, confidence and fortitude. Every day gets better!

Michael

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    MDCinSC said:

What Fox said!
    Only way I got

What Fox said!

Only way I got back on the boards was through my wife logging in and posting for me! LOL

This al wil pass! Have patience and allow yourself the luxury of taking it easy.  Pain meds help too!  As far as sleeping, I found a crab-like position that allowed some side laying, without discomfort, but it took a lot of tries! LOL

Prepare for alittle discomfort and lingering nausea for a few days,but even that will clear up.

Congratulations on getting that invader out of your body! I am so glad it was sent packing!

Have hope, confidence and fortitude. Every day gets better!

Michael

And how was the incision closed?

I had 63 (counted 'em when they were pulled out with the staple remover) surgical staples in a 14" incision on my first surgery.  First, I just slept in my recliner chair.  Once I could get to my bed, I had to have a step (put down a plastic soda crate upside down with plywood over it) because the bed height was higher than I could scoot onto.  Getting in/out was an ordeal as I had no ab strenth...movement was all from pulling or pushing with shoulders and legs.  I got comfortable any way I could, but usually slept with a pillow under my knees so there was not as much stretch on the abdomen.

Second surgery was pretty easy; only 4" total above and below the navel; sutures removed before discharge and streri-strips put on.  No problems, drove part of the way home from the hospital.  University 4-5 hours away from home.

Third surgery was a little more YUCK.  More tired, more sore, slower recovery, dissolving sutures but one allowed the incision to pull open which took about 6 weeks to heal.

I guess what I'm saying is that every person, every surgery, every recovery has similarities, but individuals will experience differences.  Levels of fitness, nutritional health, weight, age, mental attitude all affect us going into and coming thru the surgery.

Here's a classic example of "range".  Look at a picture of 1st graders.  They will all be in the stage of losing the first tooth; but some will already have one or even two adult teeth, and others will hava a mouth full of baby teeth.  But they are all in Normal range.  Same way with surgeries and recovery.

So try what you feel comfortable doing. But back off when you feel stress or strain.  And you'll do fine.  Good Luck.

Donna

• pauley13
    donna_lee said:

And how was the incision closed?

I had 63 (counted 'em when they were pulled out with the staple remover) surgical staples in a 14" incision on my first surgery.  First, I just slept in my recliner chair.  Once I could get to my bed, I had to have a step (put down a plastic soda crate upside down with plywood over it) because the bed height was higher than I could scoot onto.  Getting in/out was an ordeal as I had no ab strenth...movement was all from pulling or pushing with shoulders and legs.  I got comfortable any way I could, but usually slept with a pillow under my knees so there was not as much stretch on the abdomen.

Second surgery was pretty easy; only 4" total above and below the navel; sutures removed before discharge and streri-strips put on.  No problems, drove part of the way home from the hospital.  University 4-5 hours away from home.

Third surgery was a little more YUCK.  More tired, more sore, slower recovery, dissolving sutures but one allowed the incision to pull open which took about 6 weeks to heal.

I guess what I'm saying is that every person, every surgery, every recovery has similarities, but individuals will experience differences.  Levels of fitness, nutritional health, weight, age, mental attitude all affect us going into and coming thru the surgery.

Here's a classic example of "range".  Look at a picture of 1st graders.  They will all be in the stage of losing the first tooth; but some will already have one or even two adult teeth, and others will hava a mouth full of baby teeth.  But they are all in Normal range.  Same way with surgeries and recovery.

So try what you feel comfortable doing. But back off when you feel stress or strain.  And you'll do fine.  Good Luck.

Donna

Thanks eVery one. I know ok

Thanks eVery one. I know ok am very impatient...i had 5 incisions in front about 4" and one the back about 4".  I feel better actually up and walking vs laying down.  More swollen today. I guess just set back and wait, beach in 2 weeks, nothing but me, my books, and the sun. Don't plan on doing anything at all..per effect way to Heal!!