Goal 1 met!

Luckygirl2
Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308

Last year about this time, my husband and I went to Petit Jean Mountain (Arkansas) and attempted to take the 2 mile strenuous hike to Cedar Falls. Well, I made it thru two switchbacks and had to turn around...just couldn't do it!  So, a year later, we give it another try!  It took us 4 hours but I made it down to the falls over rocks and boulders and made it back up (up was much easier for me.  I had to stop alot along the way and a very nice young man with a youth group helped Gary get me up and over a few of the very big rocks!  We took water but forgot to take me a snack so about two switchbacks from the top, my sguar decides to start dropping..but I was determined if I had to crawl on my hands and knees I was going to get back to the top!  And I did!.....I almost cried!  Granted, I can barely move today but with my hubbys help and help of a stranger I did it!!!!

Next goal is to hike down into Bryce canyon.  End of May 2011, we went to Bryce canyon with the intention of doing just that but I couldn't do it, I was so sick but didn't know that 10 days later I'd be having surgery for Stage 3b colon cancer...so end of August this year, we are going back and we'll be hiking down (with snacks this time) and good news (no boulders to climb over and around) :)

Just had to share!  I'm really proud of myself!

Debbie

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Debbie

haha I am so proud of you.....hike on girl.  Oh I love that story....one small triumph for womankindSmile. You know Debb I think that is always one of my messages for new people....I know you feel like shite but you might as well get off the couch and go for a walk cuz you are not going to feel any worse and you might feel a little better.....down to the corner and back....not necessarily climbing over rocks!!

good luck and good for you.......mags

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    maglets said:

Debbie

haha I am so proud of you.....hike on girl.  Oh I love that story....one small triumph for womankindSmile. You know Debb I think that is always one of my messages for new people....I know you feel like shite but you might as well get off the couch and go for a walk cuz you are not going to feel any worse and you might feel a little better.....down to the corner and back....not necessarily climbing over rocks!!

good luck and good for you.......mags

Very nice...

story, thank you for sharing. Brought back memories of last summer, when me and my teenage daughter visited Brice. It's gorgeous: nature makes lace out of mountains.

All the best for you.

Laz

• MaryCarol5
    MaryCarol5 Member Posts: 102
    That's great!  I know that

That's great!  I know that trek at Petit Jean and am so excited for you!  We had planned to hike there in April but my surprise/surgery changed things early in April. And now you have inspired me..... Wink Keep going and can't wait to hear about Bryce! 

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    Good for you!  We're going to

Good for you!  We're going to the Grand Canyon in September so I hope to be able to do some of those trails. 

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member

Good for you!  We're going to the Grand Canyon in September so I hope to be able to do some of those trails. 

You Go Girl!

Heck, I could barely hike to the overlook from the truck at Bryce.  LOL  Zion was much easier due to the altitude. Of course, it's a bit hotter there,also. We climbed up to Emerald Pool which was a "hand over hand " thing, but well worth it. I'll never forget this family that was hiking "The Narrows". In water up to his waist & the man was carrying a tiny baby in one of those chest slings. One slip and.........

Sorry, but I can't stand STUPID!

Anyway, congrats on your accomplishment!

Luv,

Wolfen

• Luckygirl2
    wolfen said:

You Go Girl!

Heck, I could barely hike to the overlook from the truck at Bryce.  LOL  Zion was much easier due to the altitude. Of course, it's a bit hotter there,also. We climbed up to Emerald Pool which was a "hand over hand " thing, but well worth it. I'll never forget this family that was hiking "The Narrows". In water up to his waist & the man was carrying a tiny baby in one of those chest slings. One slip and.........

Sorry, but I can't stand STUPID!

Anyway, congrats on your accomplishment!

Luv,

Wolfen

8 weeks baby

There was a young family with a baby that was 8 weeks old strapped to her chest...it was hot...and a little worried about how hot that baby would get up against his mama...

• Luckygirl2

Very grand!

The Grand Canyon is very Grand! But if you get the chance to shoot over to Bryce it is so beautiful!  The colors are amazing!  Enjoy your trip!  It is worth it! 

• Luckygirl2
    lp1964 said:

Very nice...

story, thank you for sharing. Brought back memories of last summer, when me and my teenage daughter visited Brice. It's gorgeous: nature makes lace out of mountains.

All the best for you.

Laz

beautiful

I could sit and stare at Bryce for days.  The spirals, the colors, the balancing act of the formations.  Magnificent, I can't wait to get back there in August!

• Luckygirl2
    lp1964 said:

Very nice...

All the best for you.

Laz

beautiful

I could sit and stare at Bryce for days.  The spirals, the colors, the balancing act of the formations.  Magnificent, I can't wait to get back there in August!

• Luckygirl2
    lp1964 said:

Very nice...

All the best for you.

Laz

beautiful

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    That's awesome!

It's great to have goals like that, even in the midst of the battle.  And there's nothing quite like getting out for a hike...so good for the spirit (not to mention the quads and glutes.  Hugs~AA