light at the end of the tunnel

javiero
javiero Member Posts: 6

Hi there, 

I've been looking at posts for a while and decided it was a good time to share my story.

I am 36 on dec 2011 I was diagnosed with metastatic (liver) colon cancer.

With no symptoms in my normal life, suddenly I had high fever, went to a hospital and looking for answers doctors performed an ultrasound scan and saw the liver mets; that was the beginning.

I started chemo (FOLFOX + CETUXIMAB) ASAP and a one month later I had an occlusion so I had a non-programmed colon surgery that went just fine.

After that, I followed chemo and after 5 sessions I was ready for liver surgery.

Since I had about 15 liver mets I was not suitable for a regular surgery, so I had a revolutionary and new surgery technique done called ALPPS that allowed doctors to resect a big portion of my liver. I followed chemo one month after surgery and completed a total of 11.

After that i did scans regularly and was feeling as good as ever. I was riding my bicycle, drinking beer, travelling, enjoying family and life, etc.

All went well until April 2013 when they found 3 new liver mets + some lung mets.

When I spoke with my oncologist he mentioned I should be prepared for lifetime chemo; I think that was the worst part of all. 

I feel I need to see some light at the end of the tunnel, I does not matter how long the tunnel might be....

I am on FOLFIRI + Cetuximab every 2 weeks, I already done 3. In a couple of weeks I'll be doing another scan and will know where we go from there.

Excuse my English; it is not my mother tongue

Hugs for everyone out there

Javier

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Always so young

My heart goes out to you, Javier. So young, too young to be having colon cancer. 

I pray that you tolerate your treatments, and that you have a good quality of life. 

I am so sadened by so many young folks getting colon cancer. when I get well, I'm going to look into how to campaign to lower the age limit from 50. 

Good luck on your journey. Keep posting. 

• javiero
    Trubrit said:

Always so young

My heart goes out to you, Javier. So young, too young to be having colon cancer. 

I pray that you tolerate your treatments, and that you have a good quality of life. 

I am so sadened by so many young folks getting colon cancer. when I get well, I'm going to look into how to campaign to lower the age limit from 50. 

Good luck on your journey. Keep posting. 

Many thanks for your kind

Many thanks for your kind words and prayers...

• tachilders
    tachilders Member Posts: 313
    Diagnosed at 45 (June 1,

Diagnosed at 45 (June 1, 2012) with mCRC and mets to liver, lungs, lymph nodes and peritoneal cavity.  Was told from the beginning that I was not a candidate for surgery and would be on chemo for life.  Did 12tx of FOLFOX + avastin, and an additional 8tx of 5FU + avastin (maintenance chemo).  After that, I went to Germany for treatment (Removab and chemoembolization, see numerous posts on the site about it) and will get CT scans in a few weeks to let me know if that worked.  I started back on Xeloda (oral 5FU) and avastin a week ago.  If the German therapies did not work, I will likely start FOLFIRI + avastin by the end of the month.  Very sorry that you had to get diagnosed with this disease, but wish you the best of luck.  I would suggest that you at least research alternative treatments to standard chemotherapy, and if possible, talk to at least one more oncologist (different practice than current one) and multiple surgeons (before giving up on that option). 

Tedd

• javiero

Diagnosed at 45 (June 1,

Diagnosed at 45 (June 1, 2012) with mCRC and mets to liver, lungs, lymph nodes and peritoneal cavity.  Was told from the beginning that I was not a candidate for surgery and would be on chemo for life.  Did 12tx of FOLFOX + avastin, and an additional 8tx of 5FU + avastin (maintenance chemo).  After that, I went to Germany for treatment (Removab and chemoembolization, see numerous posts on the site about it) and will get CT scans in a few weeks to let me know if that worked.  I started back on Xeloda (oral 5FU) and avastin a week ago.  If the German therapies did not work, I will likely start FOLFIRI + avastin by the end of the month.  Very sorry that you had to get diagnosed with this disease, but wish you the best of luck.  I would suggest that you at least research alternative treatments to standard chemotherapy, and if possible, talk to at least one more oncologist (different practice than current one) and multiple surgeons (before giving up on that option). 

Tedd

Hi Tedd, 
    Thanks for your

Hi Tedd, 

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I hope your Germany therapy works as it was intended. 

In a couple of weeks I will have a clearer picture of my situation and I hope surgery will be available. My surgeon told me there is a good chance I can have surgery again; i hope that would be the case.

Everyone seams to be taking the same treatments worldwide. Which alternative treatment rather than chemo have you heard of?

Best of luck

Javier

• Arta
    Arta Member Posts: 6
    javiero said:

Hi Tedd, 
    Thanks for your

Hi Tedd, 

In a couple of weeks I will have a clearer picture of my situation and I hope surgery will be available. My surgeon told me there is a good chance I can have surgery again; i hope that would be the case.

Everyone seams to be taking the same treatments worldwide. Which alternative treatment rather than chemo have you heard of?

Best of luck

Javier

Hi

Hi Javier,

My mum has been with colorectal adenocarcinoma and after the surgery she is in chemo Xeloda oral. In addition to this, she started using some bio medicine made of different plant roots called Biocil. This is intended to strengthen her imune system and I think it is helping her quite well. Another alternative could be something called Gerson therapy (google it), which is also based in natural food. But also dont stop your chemo or whatever your onc tells you. 

This is some kind of alternative treatments you have.

I wish you all the best and success.

A.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Welcome

Welcome to the boards but sorry you had to join.  There are several here who are on treatment for quit some time.  It has to be devestating news to hear.  I'm not sure if you are allowed to get a second opinion, but here a lot of us do that just to ease our minds and get just that "a second opinion."  Wishing you the best on your upcoming treatment.  You have a beautiful family.

Kim

• tachilders
    tachilders Member Posts: 313
    javiero said:

Hi Tedd, 
    Thanks for your

Hi Tedd, 

Best of luck

Javier

There are drugs like

There are drugs like cimetidine, celebrex, metformin, etc that have shown anti-cancer activity but that most oncologists don't prescribe because they aren't standard treatment. Also there are treatment options in Germany that you can't get in the USA like removab, dendritic cell vaccines, hyperthermia, etc..  At your young age and apparent good health, you have a big advantage over many crc patients in that you should be able to handle chemo or other treatments much better than many patients. Best of luck in this fight, and I hope you have a long and happy life. 

Tedd

• javiero

Welcome

Welcome to the boards but sorry you had to join.  There are several here who are on treatment for quit some time.  It has to be devestating news to hear.  I'm not sure if you are allowed to get a second opinion, but here a lot of us do that just to ease our minds and get just that "a second opinion."  Wishing you the best on your upcoming treatment.  You have a beautiful family.

Kim

Hi Kim, 
    Many thanks for your

Hi Kim, 

Many thanks for your words and advice...

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    javiero said:

Hi Kim, 
    Many thanks for your

Hi Kim, 

Many thanks for your words and advice...

Hey Javier

I am a 48 year old guy and very new to cancer. Three alternative things I found out about sofar.

Cimetidine: Google "cimetidine and cancer"

High dose of Vitamin C

AveUltra: it's a fermented wheat germ that's supposed to support your immun system's abilty to fight the cancer cells by exposing the antigens on the surface of the cancer cells.

Hang in there friend and don't forget that our lives are still filled with many wonderful things every day. Just try not to let your pain and emotions

appreciate them.

Laz

• Fucc
    Fucc Member Posts: 92 Member
    lp1964 said:

Hey Javier

I am a 48 year old guy and very new to cancer. Three alternative things I found out about sofar.

Cimetidine: Google "cimetidine and cancer"

High dose of Vitamin C

AveUltra: it's a fermented wheat germ that's supposed to support your immun system's abilty to fight the cancer cells by exposing the antigens on the surface of the cancer cells.

Hang in there friend and don't forget that our lives are still filled with many wonderful things every day. Just try not to let your pain and emotions

appreciate them.

Laz

Hi laz, are you using the

Hi laz, are you using the aveultra? It was recommended by my natriopath.  I tried a few samples. It's pretty nasty tasting, but I was thinking about adding it to my supplement regime. 

Carm

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    Javier,
    I'm so sorry to hear

Javier,

I'm so sorry to hear your diagnosis.  My prayers will be with you.

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Welcome to the forum, Javier.

I'm sorry you have to join us, but now that you're here, I hope we can provide some support and information.  I would second (or third) those who have mentioned the use of cimetidine, especially if you get the chance to have more surgery.  There are some studies that show that cimetidine can help reduce cancer spread during surgery. I've had several recurrences, and five surgeries...only on the last one did I use the cimetidine, and that was the one that got me to NED, where I've been for 18 months now.  It may just be a coincidence, of course, but this drug is OTC, and seems like it falls in the category of "can't hurt, might help".

Keep us posted on how you're doing, and how that scan turns out.  We'll be hoping fot great results!  AA

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Fucc said:

Hi laz, are you using the

Hi laz, are you using the aveultra? It was recommended by my natriopath.  I tried a few samples. It's pretty nasty tasting, but I was thinking about adding it to my supplement regime. 

Carm

AVEULTRA

My father in law had a very bad, inoprable prostate cancer diagnosis 15 ago in Europe. They didn't even try chemo. just female hormonvinjections and

Aveultra. That was 15 years ago, he is in his mid 80's and doing fine.

Aveultra is a fermented yeast that's supposed to sopport your immune system, regulate the sugar uptake of cells and mainly helpng to fight cancer cell by T lymphocytes by exposing the carbohydrate antigens on the surface of the cancer cells. I'm taking it every day and see.

Do some reasearch a see.

Laz