1st Rituxan Maint. Done

My first Rituxan maintenance that I was fretting about so much is behind me. I got many smiles and warm hugs at the clinic and that was really nice. I had some errands today and that was tough--but I did it and that makes me happy. I was away from home for about 4 hours, went 5 different places, and now I am tired! Yesterday, my blood counts were still low. My doctor didn't seem to be so happy that they hadn't come up more than they have. I am still anemic  and my white counts are low (both chemo induced). My platelets and neutrophils are in the normal range but just barely there. Doc said if the counts weren't back up in 2 months, when I go back for my next infusion, he will want to do a bone marrow biopsy. Oh no. . . please not that!!

Comments

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    Glad it's over

Well, that's done.  It's too bad Rit is the longest part of the chemo regime.  At least hope you got to have lunch.  Sorry about the blood count.  It won't be fun to have a bone marrow biopsy.  Let's hope not.  Alfalfa juice builds red blood cells (just sayin)Wink

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    First R done....

Hi Rocquie,

Well good deal...first one is done and you were still able to get out and about. I do pretty good for about 3 to 4 hours of activity but then I start feeling the fatigue coming on and know it's time to call it a day. Let your body be your guide. I hope your blood counts get better over the next few months. Try not to stress about a possible BMB in the future...take it one day at a time.SmileThanks for sharing how things went for you...hang in there. Best wishes...Sue

(FNHL-2-3A-6/10-age 62)

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    illead said:

Glad it's over

Well, that's done.  It's too bad Rit is the longest part of the chemo regime.  At least hope you got to have lunch.  Sorry about the blood count.  It won't be fun to have a bone marrow biopsy.  Let's hope not.  Alfalfa juice builds red blood cells (just sayin)Wink

One Down

Thanks, Becky. The clinic serves sandwiches for those who are infusing at lunch time. They also have all kinds of snacks. Between what they provide and what I take, I pretty much eat the whole time I'm there. I'm going to look into alfafa juice. I forgot to mention in my post, that in addition to my blood counts, my electrolytes are still wacko (another problem I've had all along).  I imagine alfafa is also rich in much needed minerals.

I hope you and your patient are doing well today. . .

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    allmost60 said:

First R done....

Hi Rocquie,

Well good deal...first one is done and you were still able to get out and about. I do pretty good for about 3 to 4 hours of activity but then I start feeling the fatigue coming on and know it's time to call it a day. Let your body be your guide. I hope your blood counts get better over the next few months. Try not to stress about a possible BMB in the future...take it one day at a time.SmileThanks for sharing how things went for you...hang in there. Best wishes...Sue

(FNHL-2-3A-6/10-age 62)

Out and About

Hi Sue, yes I went out and about. But honestly, I did not feel up to it and was not enjoying it one bit! And really, I should have been at home resting from my treatment. My husband has an event to attend tomorrow and needed something to wear. The man will NOT dress himself. I dragged myself around until I found something appropriate and I kept reminding myself, in order to get through it, about how good he has been to me and how much he has done for me throughout my illness. So last night, as rough as I felt, I was so happy when he tried on his new "outfit" (I like to tease him with that word, as well as calling his shirts, "tops") it fit perfectly, and he tried very hard to supress that big smile as he looked at himself in the mirror. It was worth it. I feel very tired today, but that's OK. I'm just taking it easy.

Thanks for caring,

Rocquie

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Congrats on finishing first maintenance

Hi Rocquie.  I'm glad you finished your first one.  Sorry some of your numbers are off - hopefully they will improve soon.  BMB is not fun :( but it is fairly quick thank goodness!

Alfalfa juice - does that mix with vodka? :).  You could give it a good drink name like "Green Hornet" or "Horse's Tail" or "Hay There" :).  Hugs and hang in there!

Jim

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    jimwins said:

Congrats on finishing first maintenance

Hi Rocquie.  I'm glad you finished your first one.  Sorry some of your numbers are off - hopefully they will improve soon.  BMB is not fun :( but it is fairly quick thank goodness!

Alfalfa juice - does that mix with vodka? :).  You could give it a good drink name like "Green Hornet" or "Horse's Tail" or "Hay There" :).  Hugs and hang in there!

Jim

I love Hay there

Nah that would be a waste of good vodka.  You gotta pretend you're a cowboy and slug it down.

• Rocquie
    illead said:

I love Hay there

Nah that would be a waste of good vodka.  You gotta pretend you're a cowboy and slug it down.

I like Hay There too

Maybe if I have to have another "BMB" I can fortify myself with a couple of Hay Theres before I go?

• usmcmama1
    usmcmama1 Member Posts: 2
    maintenance rituxan

Hi everyone....I'm new here.  Never knew it existed.  My husband Bob was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma in Nov. 2004.  Did 6 mos. of chemos and then followed with maintenance Rituxan.  Drs. didn't know then what effect it might have but we had nothing to lose.  Now, 8 1/2 years later his lymphoma is under control...long term remission.  He just saw onco last week and is haqving ct's of whole body Fri.  If all is clear we don't have to go back for a whole year.  Back in 2004 we were told 3-5 years for recurrance and it would be raging and harder to control.  We have been very lucky as we hoipe any of you with same will fare as well.  Would love to hear from anyone with this.     Thanks so much....Karen

• girliefighter
    girliefighter Member Posts: 232
    Rocquie,
    So glad to hear the

Rocquie,

So glad to hear the first one is done and hopefully was uneventful. I am sure that you will sail through this just fine, it is the fear of the unknown that gets us everytime. I have not had the GREAT experience of hearing the words remission yet, but I am told that once you hear that everything seems to scare the crap outta you in fear that it might be back. Taking it one day at a time and enjoying things in the present is the best way to live. Love and Prayers are the best medicine for CancerSmile, with tthat in mind I will continue to pray for you and all others on this discussion board.

Keep it up

xxxooo

Carie