Just diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer

Comments

• betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    to all newly diagnosed stage III

I am a stage 3 colon cancer survivor,I was diagnosed in July 2006 and have remained cancer free since surgery july 20th of that year. I come to this site once in while just to look but I felt the need to write today and give you guys  some hope that you too can remain cancer free and you will,  I will pray for that, me too went through 6 months of chemo, a colonoscopy every year for the first 5 years and of course all the ct and pet scans and all the scanxiety that comes with that, what I can remember very clearly was what my wonderful surgeon told me that I should stay very positive that I will be fine that he thought and I cuote 80% of my recovery was going to depend on that.I always been a spiritual person and my faith in God helped me greatly through those difficult times.

If anyone of you newly diagnosed survivors want to PM me feel free to do so.

God bless you all

• renw
    renw Member Posts: 282 Member
    sheilad4 said:

hi

i can give you something positive my dad was diagnosed with colon rectal cancer over 3 yrs ago God healed him youll be just fine keep ure faith in jesus

No conventional treatment?

No conventional treatment?  Chance of spontaneous remission is about 1 in 60000. So it can happen. Whether that is due to prayer, who knows, but faith, positive attitude and belief can impact the immune system. The vatican would need to sponsor a trial I guess to know for sure.

• Linchacoop
    Linchacoop Member Posts: 4
    Hang in there !! I'm new to

Hang in there !! I'm new to this as well, and terrified as well, I was StageII and just finished My 3rd chemo . I'm doing folfox.. This site has been awesome and has helped prepare me for what's to come.. Everyone responses differently to treatment, but seem to share some common side effects..  Since summer is approaching, Id find some warm gloves to have on hand when and if you get the cold sensitivity. It feels like your hands fell asleep and the pins and needles feeling.. It's bearable !! Once my treatment started it made me feel more in control I hope it does for you as we'll. I have a pity party from time to time. So, if you're in need of one this is the place to be !! Ill be your cheerleader !!! Ill be praying for you !!! Give to God !!!

Lucinda 

• Debra12
    Debra12 Member Posts: 11
    Happy to find this site

Was diagnosed with stage 3 on 7/9/12 had surgery 7/16/12 removal of descending colon and 18  lymph nodes 4 tested positive for tumors. So I guess that makes me stage 3c. My chemo was 5FU 12 rounds 1 every other week and home with a pump. Lost of trouble with the cold and now I have neuropathy in hands and feet.

had some issues with white blood cells and platelets even had to postpone one treatment.

But I'm not going to lie it was very tough, I doing very good now will have my first 3 month blood test on 5/22 and then see Dr. for results. the waiting is the worst for me.

Stay positive it's all going to be worth it in the end. God Bless

• Debra12
    Debra12 Member Posts: 11
    Happy to find this site
    Was diagnosed with stage 3 on 7/9/12 had surgery 7/16/12 removal of descending colon and 18 lymph nodes 4 tested positive for tumors. So I guess that makes me stage 3c. My chemo was 5FU 12 rounds 1 every other week and home with a pump. Lost of trouble with the cold and now I have neuropathy in hands and feet.

had some issues with white blood cells and platelets even had to postpone one treatment.

But I'm not going to lie it was very tough, I doing very good now will have my first 3 month blood test on 5/22 and then see Dr. for results. the waiting is the worst for me.

Stay positive it's all going to be worth it in the end. God Bless
  • catherine58
    catherine58 Member Posts: 92
    Hope!
    I have not been on this website for several years but for some reason I clicked on it tonight  … It is now well over six years since I had a  football sized tumour removed from my ascending colon and was told that my chances of living another five years were around 30% (I seem to remember I was T4/N2, which is not a very cheerful diagnosis).  Today I rarely think about cancer, it seems like a distant nightmare (although, in truth, the fear was far worse than the reality of surgery/chemo).

I'm so sorry, Kathy, about this horrible time you are going through but, seen in the context of eternity, the course of treatment is pretty short and (in my experience) far more endurable than I had imagined (I never lost my hair, was only sick once and carried on with life pretty much as normal for at least 10 days out of 14). 

The very best of luck and lots of healing vibes to all of you. 
  • platt9730
    platt9730 Member Posts: 3
    Trubrit said:

Thank you!

Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you for coming back on the forum to share your WONDERFUL story. I'm having one of the worst 'bad days', I am very emotional. So your story has lifted my spirits. 

God bless!

Stage IV survivor

I have not used this discussion forum enough but just want to tell you I am cancer free since 2009.  It would have been nice to talk with other people going through the experience as I do remember how difficult the treatments were and there are some worst bad days.  But, hang in there and you're not alone.  There are better days ahead and I'm proof of that.

• justhappy2balive
    justhappy2balive Member Posts: 3
    Positive Outlook!

I was diagnosed with Stage 3b colon cancer in June 2009, at only 43.  My surgery was then schedued 4 days later and I finished Chemo January of 2010.  The chemo wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be (no nausea), although 1/2 through my treatment I went into anaphylaxis with the Oxaliplatin.  They removed that from my chemo cocktail and I was able to continue treatment.  I may have had a few hurdles along the way, but my drive to give cancer it's eviction papers was what I longed for and it worked!  The only advice I can really give you is "keep a positive outlook"  You may have cancer, but cancer does NOT have you!

• Marianne313
    Marianne313 Member Posts: 124

Positive Outlook!

I was diagnosed with Stage 3b colon cancer in June 2009, at only 43.  My surgery was then schedued 4 days later and I finished Chemo January of 2010.  The chemo wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be (no nausea), although 1/2 through my treatment I went into anaphylaxis with the Oxaliplatin.  They removed that from my chemo cocktail and I was able to continue treatment.  I may have had a few hurdles along the way, but my drive to give cancer it's eviction papers was what I longed for and it worked!  The only advice I can really give you is "keep a positive outlook"  You may have cancer, but cancer does NOT have you!

Stage 4 in 2011

My aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in February 2011 and is just now on paliative care (they only gave her 6 months) but chemo, faith, positive attitude and who knows what has kept her going...and she's 83 years old!

Keep positive hon. One day at a time :)

Marianne

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    LOL

"budwig.com or chrisbeatcancer.com" Are you sure you're not a salesperson for these sites? Every comment you've been making out of the blue are pushing those websites. That's a no-no ya know...

Why no bio? Why is it that every treatment you've "done" is evil? Please spam elsewhere...you're not helping Nor is it appreciated.

• PhillieG

CT Scan

Thank You Patch,  Yes I had a CT Scan originally at a hospital in Jan at the beginning of symptoms. Lower stomach pain and the hospital diagnosed me with Diverticulitis and Colitis, which wasn't the case upon having the colonoscopy that found the cancer.

No chemo after finding spot on liver?  Did they get everything?  Are you still show clean?

CT Scans

Please don't let the comment about the 50 chest X-rays throw you. Modern scanners are much safer that those that are being demonized by the website diet pusher...

• PhillieG
    Welcome...

I'm sorry that you were diagnosed but this forum is quite good. You'll find that there are many opinions on various treatments. Then again, we're hit with the occasional spammer but it takes all types. 

I totally understand keeping away from the stat pages about colon cancer. One way to look at stats is that someone has to be in the positive results area. Why not you?

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member

Positive Outlook!

Thank you all survivors!
    I'm stage 3 starting chemotherapy next week. When I saw long time survivor after survivor posting I started to cry! Seems I don't need a tip on a new study or what my vitamin D level should be but good old HOPE! Thank you for coming back to this site which helped you once and helping a newbie. I will soon be one of you and I promise I'll do the same. Now it's time to kick this stupid cancer's you-know-what!!!
  • Flowers55
    Flowers55 Member Posts: 4
    Successful outcomes

I have two friends - well fellow employees - one got a colonoscopy a year after his dad was told he had colon cancer - he found he had colon cancer - the other gentleman - that I work with, also had colon cancer - anyway one retired - all well - and the other is still working for the government. I have two friends whose husbands had cancer - one was lymph non-hodgins the other colon cancer - three years now since he finished his chemo for colon cancer.  I had dinner Saturday night with a friend who originally had trouble breathing - she actually had ovarian cancer #4 - just complete her chemo - her hair is coming back maybe more gray (she is a nurse and colored it) I have had endometrial cancer stage #2 abd basil cell on top of my head - great beauticians - - and I do not lay in sun - - just found out a old friends grandson has lung cancer and is at NIH  - and just got over shoulder??? yes shoulder cancer - - they, we and all of us - made it  - now my prayers are for my daughter - she has a j-pouch for years, while treating small mass for infection further tests showed she had colon cancer - she is very confused - no one had told her what stage - and which Doctor does she go with ------

• Flowers55
    Flowers55 Member Posts: 4
    Successful outcomes

I have two friends - well fellow employees - one got a colonoscopy a year after his dad was told he had colon cancer - he found he had colon cancer - the other gentleman - that I work with, also had colon cancer - anyway one retired - all well - and the other is still working for the government. I have two friends whose husbands had cancer - one was lymph non-hodgins the other colon cancer - three years now since he finished his chemo for colon cancer.  I had dinner Saturday night with a friend who originally had trouble breathing - she actually had ovarian cancer #4 - just complete her chemo - her hair is coming back maybe more gray (she is a nurse and colored it) I have had endometrial cancer stage #2 abd basil cell on top of my head - great beauticians - - and I do not lay in sun - - just found out a old friends grandson has lung cancer and is at NIH  - and just got over shoulder??? yes shoulder cancer - - they, we and all of us - made it  - now my prayers are for my daughter - she has a j-pouch for years, while treating small mass for infection further tests showed she had colon cancer - she is very confused - no one had told her what stage - and which Doctor does she go with ------

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    G'day Littlethings

I was dxed in 1998 stage 3c 6/13 nodes involved . Had a year of chemo after surgery . have been ca free ever since. Ron.

• Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Deena11 said:

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for posting your success story.  I've only been out of chemo since September and have been so scared of a recurrence or some kind of new cancer.  It is so good to hear these kind of positive stories.

Hi Deena,
         I was

Hi Deena,

I was diagnosed stage III b in February 2010.  I had two feet of my colon removed and chemotherapy for 6 months.  The doctor didn't even have to tell me what stage for I have been a Disability Examiner for the Federal Government, for 33 years and I knew.  I am thankful for so far, everything has been clear.  I must admit, that I do need to exercise a little more.  I know all of your fears, but that is normal.  I really tripped in the beginning for I have been told that my family carries the gene for CRC and it took the life of my mother.  However, I remain positive , my faith is strong and the people on this website have been most kind.  We are here for you and have a blessed day.

Sincerely,

Karen 

• Eltina21

Stage 3c Colorectal Cancer Survivor

I was diagnosed with Stage 3c Colorectal Cancer in July 2011. I had surgery in August to remove about a foot of my colon. I finished 6 months of Folfox chemo a year ago. I have had several CT scans, two colonoscopys and alot of bloodwork since and as of today am totally cancer free! BELIEVE that you too will survive this! I know you are scared! I was too and there were days when I would get discouraged and think I couldn't take one more day. But I am here to tell you that YOU CAN DO IT!!! Focus on the positive things in your life. Surround yourself with people you love and with activities that lift your spirits. Keep your mind occupied with pleasant things. Don't allow yourself too much time to sit and think. For me the thing that kept me strongest was my faith in God. I will be praying for you. If you have any questions or need some advice as you go through this journey, don't hesitate to ask! I will be happy to help any way I can. Don't ever forget, YOU CAN DO THIS! Just BELIEVE!

I love your testimony Tammygent. 

I love your testimony  Tammygent.  Thank you so much.

• mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    Easyflip said:

Thank you all survivors!
    I'm stage 3 starting chemotherapy next week. When I saw long time survivor after survivor posting I started to cry! Seems I don't need a tip on a new study or what my vitamin D level should be but good old HOPE! Thank you for coming back to this site which helped you once and helping a newbie. I will soon be one of you and I promise I'll do the same. Now it's time to kick this stupid cancer's you-know-what!!!

You're welcome!

Easyflip,

Keep your hopes up - as I've said before, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm almost 9 years from diagnosis with Stage IIIC colon cancer.  I've actually reached a point where I don't wake up thinking about cancer.  In fact, some days it doesn't enter my mind at all! (That milestone was a long time coming!).  I have a new "normal", but am able to work full-time and enjoy life. 

Kathy

• Eltina21
    Trubrit said:

Thank you!

Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you for coming back on the forum to share your WONDERFUL story. I'm having one of the worst 'bad days', I am very emotional. So your story has lifted my spirits. 

God bless!

Thank you

Never give up and remember, you are not alone.  Everyday I see a new day, I am happy.  I will turn 60 this year and I plan on going to Vegas, for I have never been there.  My friends keep me active and I just enjoy each day. So Trubrit just think, you have a lot of living let to do and a lot of people to inspire.  Have a great day.