Tired before treatment?

MeMeJoy
MeMeJoy Member Posts: 70

Just a quick question –

I know that after surgery being fatigued is normal, but has anyone else noticed if they were more tired than normal before their surgery/treatment?

Can kidney cancer make you tired?

I’m just trying to figure out why I am so completely exhausted. Wondering if it’s just everyday stress compounded by all the new stress, because my allergies are going crazy, or if the cancer has something to with it. Or, if its all of the above. I know it’s probably all of the above, but I swear I could sleep for days and it just seems to be getting progressively worse!

I vacuumed the house and feel like I ran a marathon, think I could use a nap lol

Comments

• NanoSecond
    NanoSecond Member Posts: 653
  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Tiredness

Hi MeMe,

I had stomach pain and extreme tiredness. I had been feeling fairly tired for a few months before the tumour was discovered, I was constantly crashing out.

Djinnie

• MeMeJoy
    MeMeJoy Member Posts: 70
    Good to hear, I guess :)

Ok so at least I'm not crazy or just having psychosomatic tiredness! The docs asked me if I was fatigued but I'm a full time student, mom of 2 young boys, and teach part time - of course Im tired!!

But lately it's been getting worse, I slept for 12 hours the other day - 9pm-9am and was ready for bed by 9 again! My usual bedtime is midnight-1:00am...so ready to feel like me again!

Thanks!!

• MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    wow!

That explains a lot!  Meme-I've had those very same symptoms myself for quite a while!

Nano, does that mean that the exhaustion is likely to improve in the long term following surgery?  I was beginning to feel like an old Fuddy Duddy!

Or is that part of my GRAF mutation? Wink

• NanoSecond
    NanoSecond Member Posts: 653
    MDCinSC said:

wow!

That explains a lot!  Meme-I've had those very same symptoms myself for quite a while!

Nano, does that mean that the exhaustion is likely to improve in the long term following surgery?  I was beginning to feel like an old Fuddy Duddy!

Or is that part of my GRAF mutation? Wink

Following surgery

Yes, after you get through the recovery period from your surgery you should be able to get all your energy back.

Unfortunately, Fuddy Duddyness can be positively correlated with your feeling (but not necessarily getting) older.

So - think young for that malady.

• MDCinSC

Following surgery

Yes, after you get through the recovery period from your surgery you should be able to get all your energy back.

Unfortunately, Fuddy Duddyness can be positively correlated with your feeling (but not necessarily getting) older.

So - think young for that malady.

HALLELUJAH! (So to speak)

Embarassed  I look forward to returning to being the youngest person of my age anywhere!  Cool

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Fatigue

I was very tired in the year before my surgery. And also depressed for no apparent reason. I think the depression was because I wasn't exercising as I used to because I was tired. Funny how things feed on themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm still very tired. In fact, I think I'm still worse than before my surgery. It's been 5 months. I've heard others say they had fatigue for several months after their surgery. I asked my nephrologist, and he said it should not be as a result of the lack of a kidney. It's a big change to the body, so maybe that's all it is. Of course I have to consider the possiblity I'm taking everolimus (maybe 50/50 chance).

Last year I had assumed that it was just because I was 50. After all, I had never been 50 before. I don't know what it's supposed to feel like!

Todd

• MDCinSC
    todd121 said:

Fatigue

I was very tired in the year before my surgery. And also depressed for no apparent reason. I think the depression was because I wasn't exercising as I used to because I was tired. Funny how things feed on themselves.

Unfortunately, I'm still very tired. In fact, I think I'm still worse than before my surgery. It's been 5 months. I've heard others say they had fatigue for several months after their surgery. I asked my nephrologist, and he said it should not be as a result of the lack of a kidney. It's a big change to the body, so maybe that's all it is. Of course I have to consider the possiblity I'm taking everolimus (maybe 50/50 chance).

Last year I had assumed that it was just because I was 50. After all, I had never been 50 before. I don't know what it's supposed to feel like!

Todd

Heh Heh!

You're gonna LOVE 60!

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    MeMeJoy said:

Good to hear, I guess :)

Ok so at least I'm not crazy or just having psychosomatic tiredness! The docs asked me if I was fatigued but I'm a full time student, mom of 2 young boys, and teach part time - of course Im tired!!

But lately it's been getting worse, I slept for 12 hours the other day - 9pm-9am and was ready for bed by 9 again! My usual bedtime is midnight-1:00am...so ready to feel like me again!

Thanks!!

hi memejoy,
    that was one of

hi memejoy,

that was one of the reasons i went to the doc in the first place.  i would sit down and just nod off particularly in the afternoons.  i just put it down to 3 young children and life in general but it didnt feel like a healthy tiredness if that makes sense??!!  since the op i get tiried but a different tired.  my doc said its important to rest as much as possible and it was essential to have naps.

eims x

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Eims said:

hi memejoy,
    that was one of

hi memejoy,

that was one of the reasons i went to the doc in the first place.  i would sit down and just nod off particularly in the afternoons.  i just put it down to 3 young children and life in general but it didnt feel like a healthy tiredness if that makes sense??!!  since the op i get tiried but a different tired.  my doc said its important to rest as much as possible and it was essential to have naps.

eims x

Makes me think back

I had been training pretty hard for a couple years prior to my diagnosis. The goal was to see just what peak I could achieve. Not to recapture my youth but to get as fit as possible entering my 60's. I was doing pretty well but NEVER felt as good as I should have. More tired than I should have been. Inside, I knew something wasn't right. I jusy chalked it up to my age. It was subtle. I returned to feeling really good for several months, then the mets blossomed like dandelions.

• BDS
    BDS Member Posts: 172
    Fatigue

In my case, I probably had kidney cancer for ten years prior to may diagnosis at age 52. At age 45 I had urinary problems and saw an urologist. Unfortunately for me, I never really questioned my urologist because I do not have a medical background. Hell.. before I was diagnosed I did not know there was anything call Kidney cancer let alone spell renal cell carcinoma. I took too much of a “Doctor knows best” attitude. Every year from age 45 to age 52 my urologist waive off my complainants as “Your are just getting older and you have an enlarge prostate”.  I can now look back and see that I was just slowly getting weaker and tired. From age 48 to 52 I was falling asleep in meetings in work and at my desk. At one point I was disciplined for falling asleep in an important meeting.  I believe at the time my problems were caused by the fact that my wife was going back to school and I was being Mr. Mom to my teenage children. I have maintained a continuous gym membership since 1982 but since age 49 my workouts were slowly losing the intensity they once had. At age 45 I would get up at 4:45 in the morning and run on an elliptical machine and lift weights then go to work. By April 2012 I could not even lift my legs to run I could only muster a fast walk. On May 28, 2012 I came home to get my gym stuff I went to the bathroom and urinated A LOT of blood. I went to the emergency room and the rest is history. I am stage 4 RCC 5% sarcomatoid features. The worse day of my life is when my surgeon told me you may not be alive in a year to see your daughter graduated high school, get your affairs in order.  The good news is my daughter is graduating on June 19th and I WILL BE THERE! Last month I went diving with sharks in West Palm Beach Florida. Life is good – BDS

Sorry if in this post I am venting more than I am posting    

WP Reef Shark

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Eims said:

hi memejoy,
    that was one of

hi memejoy,

eims x

It's now well-established that the old, conventional advice to rest as much as possible is very bad advice.

It's important to take it easy in the early stages of recovery from major abdominal surgery - a few weeks for most people, but varies a lot from one person to another and can be much longer for some in special circumstances.  After that one should rest when necessary but the emphasis should be on getting regular exercise (assuming that's not physically impossible, which is rare) - a reasonable amount of exercise is better for you than just resting.  (Of course, if you're a young mother or in a physically demanding job you'll need to grab your rest opportunities more than those of us who don't have those commitments.)

• BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    Yes it's possible

Now that I think back, I was exhausted the month or two before being diagnosed. I'd be OK during the day, but I'd hit the recliner after dinner and just be wiped out. I thought it was because I had a lingering case of bronchitis...boy was I wrong. I didn't have surgery and have only been on Votrient for just over a week and I still get tired. It seems like I can now take a short nap and feel recharged which is nice. I think the stress of dealing with Kidney Cancer doesn't help matters.

• BLKJAK
    BDS said:

Fatigue

In my case, I probably had kidney cancer for ten years prior to may diagnosis at age 52. At age 45 I had urinary problems and saw an urologist. Unfortunately for me, I never really questioned my urologist because I do not have a medical background. Hell.. before I was diagnosed I did not know there was anything call Kidney cancer let alone spell renal cell carcinoma. I took too much of a “Doctor knows best” attitude. Every year from age 45 to age 52 my urologist waive off my complainants as “Your are just getting older and you have an enlarge prostate”.  I can now look back and see that I was just slowly getting weaker and tired. From age 48 to 52 I was falling asleep in meetings in work and at my desk. At one point I was disciplined for falling asleep in an important meeting.  I believe at the time my problems were caused by the fact that my wife was going back to school and I was being Mr. Mom to my teenage children. I have maintained a continuous gym membership since 1982 but since age 49 my workouts were slowly losing the intensity they once had. At age 45 I would get up at 4:45 in the morning and run on an elliptical machine and lift weights then go to work. By April 2012 I could not even lift my legs to run I could only muster a fast walk. On May 28, 2012 I came home to get my gym stuff I went to the bathroom and urinated A LOT of blood. I went to the emergency room and the rest is history. I am stage 4 RCC 5% sarcomatoid features. The worse day of my life is when my surgeon told me you may not be alive in a year to see your daughter graduated high school, get your affairs in order.  The good news is my daughter is graduating on June 19th and I WILL BE THERE! Last month I went diving with sharks in West Palm Beach Florida. Life is good – BDS

Sorry if in this post I am venting more than I am posting    

WP Reef Shark

I hear you about venting.

I'm going to add to your venting. My oncologist didn't tell me to get my affairs in order, but he did say "this is something that's not going away". My wife and I went through three weeks of living hell from the time I started urinating blood to the time we heard that line. It took weeks to get all the testing done - bone marrow biopsy, CAT scan, CAT scan with IV contrast, lymph node biopsy, etc. Then to hear that line which is burnt into my mind. He gave us absolutely no hope. We felt that I might not make it past this summer. We then went to the University of WI, Madison Carbone Cancer Center. We met with a few oncologists now and each one gave us hope. They have people just like me who are 4 and 6 years out and are going strong. The have access to several medications which alone can give me years. They are very excited about the new kidney cancer drugs coming out in the next few years and they also think a cure is a few years out. Between the MAARS program and the variety of drugs available, I know I'll be around for a good long time. My 9 and 12 year old boys need me.

Maybe we need a new post for discussing the horror stories of how all of us were told. :)

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    BLKJAK said:

Yes it's possible

Now that I think back, I was exhausted the month or two before being diagnosed. I'd be OK during the day, but I'd hit the recliner after dinner and just be wiped out. I thought it was because I had a lingering case of bronchitis...boy was I wrong. I didn't have surgery and have only been on Votrient for just over a week and I still get tired. It seems like I can now take a short nap and feel recharged which is nice. I think the stress of dealing with Kidney Cancer doesn't help matters.

My case was different

You are all just old farts.

• BLKJAK
    foxhd said:

My case was different

You are all just old farts.

LOL

I'm only 41. I'd say something snarky but I'm supposed to respect my elders. :)

• MDCinSC
    BLKJAK said:

LOL

I'm only 41. I'd say something snarky but I'm supposed to respect my elders. :)

Good thing too!

Got you on my mind and in my prayers!  This old phart is cheering for you! 

My ambition is to live long enough to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 93!    That means another 27 years!

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    MDCinSC said:

Heh Heh!

You're gonna LOVE 60!

Thanks!

I'm hoping to!

Todd

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    MDCinSC said:

Good thing too!

Got you on my mind and in my prayers!  This old phart is cheering for you! 

My ambition is to live long enough to be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 93!    That means another 27 years!

Good line!!!

A few of us will be hoping to dine out for years on that line (especially those of us who're already dreading middle age!)

• alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    MeMe,
    I think fatigue is

MeMe,

I think fatigue is definitely present prior to the surgery. I know it was for John.  Those tumors eat a lot of energy.

When John came out of surgery after removal of his kidney tumor, the first thing his doctor said was, "It went well. We got it out. Oftentimes, good things happen when you get the root of the problem out. Stay positive." It made sense to me then and does now.