Robotic Surgery

Sable2900
Sable2900 Member Posts: 29

Has anyone hear had robotic surgery for a mass on their kidney.  I am having this done on Thursday and would appreciate any info anyone can give me.  I will be having it done at the University of Chicago Medical Center. 

Comments

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    hi sable,
    how are you doing?

hi sable,

how are you doing?  is it keyhole surgery you are having?  i had open surgery but there was a lady across from me that had the keyhole surgery done and she was up and about the next day!!  she was a 30 a day smoker and a lot older than me and she was fab!!!  she left te hospital 3 days before me.  hope you are feeling ok an and not too nervous.

eims x

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Robotic Surgery

Hi Sable,

I am 11 days post op from having robotic surgery for a partial nephrectomy on my right kidney. I was up and walking around, albeit carefully after 2 days. I had the op on a Wednesday and went home the following Saturday. I am literally not allowed to do anything for 2 weeks, I do walk a little everyday but that is it. My husband is hoping I can at least get back to the washing up and dusting in 3 weeks.

I have seven incisions on my right side, five are very small and the other two are about 2 to 3 inches long. The larger one being near my groin where the tumor was removed. My experience after the surgery was a little nausea and bloating and pressure up under my ribs. The nausea disappeared after a week but I am still experiencing some pressure in my stomach. It is gradually getting better though. You may also experience some shoulder pain after the surgery due to the angle that you are strapped in, this clears up after a couple of days.

I would also recomend  taking prune juice or something similar with your breakfast, I found that helps a lot as you can't be too careful. You will probably find that your digestive system will take a knock. I had my dressings removed today and everything is healing very well. Just be glad when the surgical stockings can go as well.

If there is anything else you want to know, I will try and help.

All the best.

• Sable2900
    Robotic Surgery

Guess I am going to have to revise my thinking.  Doctor told me I would go home the day after surgery but it sounds like it could be longer.  I have been in the hospital 5 times within the past year so I should be used to it however each time I dread it more and more.  This is a first for me at the University of Chicago - so far from my home makes me feel like I'm going to a foreign country even though I live in the city.  Wish it was over and done with and I was back home.

• Djinnie
    Sable2900 said:

Robotic Surgery

Guess I am going to have to revise my thinking.  Doctor told me I would go home the day after surgery but it sounds like it could be longer.  I have been in the hospital 5 times within the past year so I should be used to it however each time I dread it more and more.  This is a first for me at the University of Chicago - so far from my home makes me feel like I'm going to a foreign country even though I live in the city.  Wish it was over and done with and I was back home.

Robotic Surgery

Hi Sable,

I am sorry to hear that you have spent so much time at the hospital, I know what that feels like having had quite a few operations. I don't see how you could be discharged the next day but it may be different in your State. I had my first kidney op in Dallas if I remember rightly I was in hospital for four days. Here in France they let you stay until you feel ready to go home, I elected to go home on the fourth day. I was allowed to go because I had my husband to help me at home.

It is always difficult going into hospital because you are out of your comfort zone, and if it is anything like here the food is nothing to look forward to. I was on a lot of pain meds so I pretty much slept through the first couple of days. It will soon pass and all of this will be behind you, and then you can look forward to the future cancer free.

Do you have someone at home to take care of you after the op?

• Sable2900
    Robotic Surgery

Yes, my husband will take care of me once I get home.  I am kind of disappointed since I had it in my head I would be home the next day - well we shall see.  What ever just so glad to get it over with.  I was in for 17 days with a hip replacement and therapy so I can handle this too.  Even though I have been put out several times I always worry about waking up again!

• Djinnie
    Sable2900 said:

Robotic Surgery

Yes, my husband will take care of me once I get home.  I am kind of disappointed since I had it in my head I would be home the next day - well we shall see.  What ever just so glad to get it over with.  I was in for 17 days with a hip replacement and therapy so I can handle this too.  Even though I have been put out several times I always worry about waking up again!

Robotic Surgery

Hello Sable,

I know what you mean about waking up, I think most people feel that way. I think that the US is like the UK though in that they wake you don't they. Here in France they leave you to come around naturally, they say it is usually the same length of time you were under anaesthetic. My poor husband had to wait nearly eight hours.

All the best I will be thinking of you.

• adman
    adman Member Posts: 336
    Good & Bad....

I'm not a Doctor, just a fellow patient on the same journey you are.

I've heard horror stories about Robotic surgeries [ Kidney & other organs ] - I would rather they go in and do a look around which allows them to make a judgement call "on the spot".

IMHO - not perfected yet, although many people have great luck with this type of procedure.

FYI - I went home 36 hours after my open Nephrectomy, so unless there's some mitigrating health issue, you might do better than some people suggest, but let the Dr make the call. Just make sure you really believe you have the best Dr available for you, they're not all equal. Get 3 opinions.

• Sable2900
    I feel I have a great doctor

I feel I have a great doctor - Dr. Shalhav head of Urology at the University of Chicago Medical Center.  He has done over 5,000 robotic surgeries so I feel pretty confident he can handle this.  I just hope I can!!!!!

• roaddr23
    roaddr23 Member Posts: 77
    Sable2900 said:

I feel I have a great doctor

I feel I have a great doctor - Dr. Shalhav head of Urology at the University of Chicago Medical Center.  He has done over 5,000 robotic surgeries so I feel pretty confident he can handle this.  I just hope I can!!!!!

Hope all Went Well

I had my robotic surgery on afternoon of Friday Feb 8 and went home on Sat afternoon Feb 9...hopefully it worked out that well for you too...Smile

• FaerieQueen
    FaerieQueen Member Posts: 5
    My father had the robotic

My father had the robotic surgery to completely remove his left kidney back in June and he was out the next day! It really is amazing how far technology has come; the incision is so small compared to how they used to do it. Seems like you are in good hands since you are having it done at a university hospital. Good luck!!!

• Galrim
    Galrim Member Posts: 307
    I had robotic radical

I had robotic radical (complete) removal back in Sep 2010. I was out of the hospital two days later and back to "normal" after around 10-12 days.

• Djinnie
    Galrim said:

I had robotic radical

I had robotic radical (complete) removal back in Sep 2010. I was out of the hospital two days later and back to "normal" after around 10-12 days.

Robotic surgery

Hi Galrim,

You were very lucky to be back to normal in such a short time. I am 17 days post op. from a partial nephrectomy, still very swollen, bloated and on pain killers. I am a long way from being back to normal. I got up and started gentle walks day two after the op, I have been building up since then, drink plenty of water and have a massage every day to keep the circulation flowing and reduce fluid retention. I have still a long way to go though, I suppose we are all different. You are probably a very quick healer.

All the best

Djinnie

• Galrim
    Galrim Member Posts: 307
    Djinnie said:

Robotic surgery

Hi Galrim,

You were very lucky to be back to normal in such a short time. I am 17 days post op. from a partial nephrectomy, still very swollen, bloated and on pain killers. I am a long way from being back to normal. I got up and started gentle walks day two after the op, I have been building up since then, drink plenty of water and have a massage every day to keep the circulation flowing and reduce fluid retention. I have still a long way to go though, I suppose we are all different. You are probably a very quick healer.

All the best

Djinnie

Hi Djinnie,
    Sorry to hear

Hi Djinnie,

Sorry to hear that the recovery turns out to be such a hassle for you. Not knowing your general condition and age, I would just stress that the post-op period can be very different from person to person. The main thing is that your surgery went well and that you do see some progress, even if moderate :-)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

/G

• Djinnie
    Galrim said:

Hi Djinnie,
    Sorry to hear

Hi Djinnie,

Sorry to hear that the recovery turns out to be such a hassle for you. Not knowing your general condition and age, I would just stress that the post-op period can be very different from person to person. The main thing is that your surgery went well and that you do see some progress, even if moderate :-)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

/G

Hi Galrim,
    I know we are all

Hi Galrim,

I know we are all different, for me this is the second op on the same kidney in 10 yrs. I am pretty robust and a very active person normally, I work outside on the land in the summer time, we have 4 acres to keep up with. I feel fine with the way things are going and to a certain extent am enjoying the break. Watching my husband struggle with chores and the cooking is a source of amusement to us both, the likes of which are foreign to him.

Age is definitely a big factor, but the body will heal in it's own good time. The important thing is that it heals well.

Thank you for your response and kind words, much appreciated.

All the best to you

Djinnie

• angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    Hi Sable, i see from your

Hi Sable, i see from your other post that you are home that i am late responding here. My mom had robotic sugery last March.  She was told she would go home the next day as well but had complications with diabetes and breathing.  She stayed in for 5 days and went home after being intubated for three long days!  All situations are different. The doc told mom to put vitamin e capusles on her scars to help quicken the healing.  It did help alot, i dont know if your doctor offered the same advice.  Take care....

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    angec said:

Hi Sable, i see from your

Hi Sable, i see from your other post that you are home that i am late responding here. My mom had robotic sugery last March.  She was told she would go home the next day as well but had complications with diabetes and breathing.  She stayed in for 5 days and went home after being intubated for three long days!  All situations are different. The doc told mom to put vitamin e capusles on her scars to help quicken the healing.  It did help alot, i dont know if your doctor offered the same advice.  Take care....

Healing scars

Ange,  wheat germ oil is even better - very handy in capsule form - just prick/cut one open and smooth the oil over the scar.  We always keep them handy. 

I've been using this for at least 40 years for cuts, burns, scalds, sunburn.  I learnt that the Canadian Air Force had been using it for air crash victime who were badly burnt.  For really bad events you need to allow a little time and take other measures first, but the results can be miraculous, as I can testify from personal crises - once in a fire and once in a motorway disaster. 

The latter was the really dramatic one.  On a long journey with my Wife and baby Daughter, around 30 years ago, my MGB GT sports car over-heated on a motorway.  I'd pulled over and let it cool for a bit. After what I thought was long enough I started to carefully slacken the radiator cap to reduce remaining pressure. Unfortunately the pressure was still far too high and the cap blew off while I was crouched over it, blasting super-heated steam, water and anti-corrosion chemicals all over one side of my face.  Naturally I was in shock. My Wife flagged down a passing motorist who drove me straight to Accident & Emergency (ER) where they spent hours putting cold saline dressings on my face. The dressings kept on steaming and they kept putting fresh ones on.  Eventually I was able to go home but had to keep dressings on for weeks. 

My face looked like the cracked earth in a severe African drought.  I returned to my law office and one of our legal secretaries asked how bad the mishap had been. I peeled back part of the dressing and she almost fainted.  It was expected, after 3rd degree burns like that that I would be disfigured for life probably with  continuing pain.  I self-medicated every day with wheat germ oil and when I went for the next check-up, the hospital thought they had the wrong patient and just couldn't believe it. They thought there had been some kind of miracle.  I explained what I had been doing and the burns experts said 'How did you know about that?  We'd just been told about it and we are due to start some trials soon!'  It was unknown in this country at that time.  There is no visible sign of that incident (though I haven't seen whether UV light would reveal the extent of the damage) as you can see from a couple of pics of me on my expressiona pages.

For a little while I used it on my nephrectomy scar but then forgot to keep it up, but the scar has faded considerably and isn't very noticeable now.

• June Theis
    June Theis Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I hope you rocked your

Hi, I hope you rocked your surgery and are doing well. I had a nephrectomy on June 6th 2012 and had a good experience and went home 3 days post-op

and didnt need any pain medication. I did have a UTI post-op and some drainage from port incisions that required antibiotics. my 6 month CT scan was clear

and will have a one year scan in June.

• Sable2900
    Robotic Surgery

Would like to know how long was it before the longest incision stopped bleeding?  I was operated on the 11th and today is the 15th and still bleeding through the gauze pads and on to clothes.  Is this normal do you think? 

• Sable2900

Hi, I hope you rocked your

Hi, I hope you rocked your surgery and are doing well. I had a nephrectomy on June 6th 2012 and had a good experience and went home 3 days post-op

and didnt need any pain medication. I did have a UTI post-op and some drainage from port incisions that required antibiotics. my 6 month CT scan was clear

and will have a one year scan in June.

Robotic Surgery

June,  How long did your incisions drain?  How are you feeling these days?  How long before you felt back to normal?  Thanks so much.

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Sable2900 said:

Robotic Surgery

Would like to know how long was it before the longest incision stopped bleeding?  I was operated on the 11th and today is the 15th and still bleeding through the gauze pads and on to clothes.  Is this normal do you think? 

Bleeding

I'm no kind of expert but I'd get it checked out, Sable.