Go visit nature

"Humans have enjoyed forest environments for ages because of the quiet atmosphere, beautiful scenery, mild climate, and fresh, clean air. In the present study, we found that visiting forest parks, but not a city, enhanced human natural killer (NK) activity, increased anti-cancer proteins, such as perforin, granzymes A and B, and granulysin in NK cells, and reduced the level of stress hormones in both male and female subjects. Moreover, this effect lasted for more than 30 days after the trips, suggesting that visiting a forest park once a month would enable individuals to maintain a higher level of NK activity. Phytoncides released from trees and the decreased production of stress hormones may partially contribute to the increased NK activity. Because NK cells can kill tumor cells by releasing anti-cancer proteins, and visiting forest parks increases NK activity and the amount of anti-cancer proteins; therefore, the above findings suggest that visiting forest parks may have a preventive effect on cancer generation and progression."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21329564

Comments

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Totally believe this to be true!

Some people go to church for comfort.  I go out into nature.image

• annalexandria

This is the view...

from one of our favorite backpacking sites on the Washington coast.  The ocean is about the most healing place imaginable.

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    We moved to the Mountains a

We moved to the Mountains a year ago.  A little transistion issues, where to buy things etc....  No regrets at all!  We walk every day, usually twice a day.  The people are friendly, they all wanted to escape the Big City also.   The trails are always available and it is really neat seeing Elk, Deer, skunks, Javelina, Coyote, and squirels in my yard every day.

We knew we over consuming junk.  Being away from the junk, makes us not want the junk. When we go to the city it is for a specific purpose, else we would rather walk or Kayak in the mountains.  We actually makes a list for the next time we go down to the city.

Best Always, mike

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    yes, yes, and yes ....

Since moving from an urban environment twenty-five years ago my husband and I decided that even if we had to forgo some cultural experiences and convenience and live in a smaller, older home ... we were going to always live where we could easily access and view nature.  But, obviously folks don't have to live in a rural area as you can always seek out, support, and protect natural environments. Healing for one and all. 

Deer on our property and no we don't eat 'em :)

Thank you for posting this Tony. -- C

• annalexandria

yes, yes, and yes ....

Since moving from an urban environment twenty-five years ago my husband and I decided that even if we had to forgo some cultural experiences and convenience and live in a smaller, older home ... we were going to always live where we could easily access and view nature.  But, obviously folks don't have to live in a rural area as you can always seek out, support, and protect natural environments. Healing for one and all. 

Deer on our property and no we don't eat 'em :)

Thank you for posting this Tony. -- C

That's beautiful!

Reminds me of country roads in the area where I grew up.

• barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464

That's beautiful!

Reminds me of country roads in the area where I grew up.

Great post
    Love to grab solitude or sort my feelings at parks or bike/walking trails.

Aaah, the ocean -how beautiful....

We have lots of forest preserves and an old farmhouse with a huge lot with towering pines.
    Great for bonfires....

Nice post -spring is on its way!
  • devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member

wow ... I want to be there right now. Not sure if Tony

knows it but he may have started another Pets! thread (thank you AA). I would love to see images folks posts of nature. -- C

• AnnLouise
    AnnLouise Member Posts: 276 Member

This is the view...

from one of our favorite backpacking sites on the Washington coast.  The ocean is about the most healing place imaginable.

Absolutely gorgeous, Ann.......

I  agree that the ocean is the most healing place....Hawaii is my healing place, as my picture shows.....a sunset from my favorite restaurant.....wonderful idea for a post!  Wishing calm and relaxation for everyone.....~ Ann

• AnnLouise
    Beautiful scenery....

Lake

This is the lake in the middle of our town, that I grew up ice skating on. The High School and Football field are in the background. I went there, and so did my 5 children. In fact my youngest is a Junior there and their football team won State, and my oldest son is Head of the English Dept....meaningful memories and a beautiful day!  ~ Ann

• PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    Super cool!

I read the study and followed some other links.  I think this is awesome.  I always feel mentally better when out 'in nature', even if it's out in our own wooded property. 

I wondered if some of the air freshners I enjoy have the tree saps as an ingredient.  Certain fragrances really lift my mood.  I'm going to do some label reading when I head out to shop today.  

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Same Here Ann

Beautiful photo!

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    I Love Nature!

Marsh

• cinreag
    cinreag Member Posts: 154
    Nature...

Taking my grandchildren to walk on nature trails is my favorite thing to do with them. I have a picture collag in my expressions gallery on my about me page, of one of our nature outings, if anyone is interested in seeing any of my photos I can only share them in the expressions gallery. I cant insert them in the comments from my phone. Love looking at everyones beautiful pics. I do believe nature is healing. Sometimes I just get a longing to smell the ocean or take off to the mountains for a few days.

• annalexandria
    AnnLouise said:

Beautiful scenery....

Lake

This is the lake in the middle of our town, that I grew up ice skating on. The High School and Football field are in the background. I went there, and so did my 5 children. In fact my youngest is a Junior there and their football team won State, and my oldest son is Head of the English Dept....meaningful memories and a beautiful day!  ~ Ann

Ann-

that's really pretty!  Very serene.  It's nice having a little patch of nature right in town.  We have a small lake in the middle of Seattle (we have a big lake too, but this one is little and near my home) where everybody goes the minute we get a hint of sun.  It has a path all the way around it for walking, biking, etc.  No ice skating though, never gets cold enough.  You must live in a chillier part of the country!

• annalexandria

This is the view...

I should add,

in the interest of complete disclosure, that this scene ended up being a little less than serene during the course of the night.  It was a full moon (which apparently has an affect on the tides-who knew?!?), and our tent was just about ten feet back from what we thought was the high tide mark (you can see it in the pic).  Turned out there was highER tide mark that ended up lapping at our tent at around 2 AM.  Pretty exciting.

• AnnLouise

Ann-

that's really pretty!  Very serene.  It's nice having a little patch of nature right in town.  We have a small lake in the middle of Seattle (we have a big lake too, but this one is little and near my home) where everybody goes the minute we get a hint of sun.  It has a path all the way around it for walking, biking, etc.  No ice skating though, never gets cold enough.  You must live in a chillier part of the country!

Thanks, Ann

Chicago gets chilly!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    From lush Green England to the Nevada Desert

I moved from England to the barren Northern Nevadaa dessert.  The desert has its own beauty, but it doesn't hold a candle to my England. 

I totally agree with you, nature is a healer. 

The picture below is spring in Oxford. 

England

• annalexandria
    Trubrit said:

From lush Green England to the Nevada Desert

I moved from England to the barren Northern Nevadaa dessert.  The desert has its own beauty, but it doesn't hold a candle to my England. 

I totally agree with you, nature is a healer. 

The picture below is spring in Oxford. 

England

Are those bluebells?

So very pretty.  On my list to get back there someday, hopefully soon.  Do you think you'll ever live there again, Sue?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Are those bluebells?

So very pretty.  On my list to get back there someday, hopefully soon.  Do you think you'll ever live there again, Sue?

Longing

I long to live there, but with children living in the states I can't see it happening. As much as I love my Englan, I love my boys more. 

• Does This Count?

Jan and Rick's Backyard Pond

The view out of our back picture window.  Sorry it was during the early spring before rainy season when the pond is low and the aerator pipes are visible.