Need a needle biopsy for enlarged lymph node in neck

Glammom
Glammom Member Posts: 21

Hi fairly new here I read more than I post.  I had the right side of my colon removed with some infected lymph nodes.  No other organs involved. Onc wanted pet scan prior to treatment starting. Pet scan show lymph nodes in chest area and neck area enlarged. After 3 treatments of chemo a cat scan ordered some nodes went down some stayed the Same. Going for needle biopsy fir node in neck tomorrow. Ethos past weekend I had my 4 treatment.  Has this happened to anyone else?   What were the outcome.  Thinking it's the cc but I guess you never no and these nosed didn't show on original scan prior to surgery. 

Comments

• PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    Prior to surgery

They most probably did a CT Scan prior to surgery.  That focused on the areas most likely to have mets, such as liver and lungs.  A PET scan will usually be base of skull to mid thigh.

I know we have a current member who had a neck node but I don't remember the name. Another was Butterfly23. She was quite young and her colon cancer was discovered when they checked out a node in her neck. You could search for her posts. I think she died at Christmas two or three years ago. 

It's rare to have nodes with no organ involvment. Kathryn (KathryninMn ???) had nodes and is still fighting the fight but she posts elsewhere most of the time. I'd suggest doing a search or checking out Olymphians on www.colonclub.com  where a group of people with node only or distant node involvment shares treatment options, etc.

Best of luck!

Patch

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Interesting. Can you please
    Interesting. Can you please let us know the results. My husband has had some enlarged lymph nodes (pelvis and chest) that have turned out to be okay. (I've always been skeptical. Still waiting to hear that it is cancer, after all. I'm always braced for the worse). Good luck with the biopsy. Will be thinking of you. Read your about me page. Your lucky to be getting treated at Sloan. Great hospital.

Chelsea
  • jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Like Patch mentioned, it does

Like Patch mentioned, it does seem rare, but there are more than a few members on colonclub in this situation.  My husband is stage 4 - only for para-aortic lymph node involvement.  He had them removed for biopsy in September - they were positive, and the pet scan hasn't picked up any others since then.  Of course, he's been on folfox since...but I hope it means they are gone and nothing else pops up.  I think that the doctors believe that once it is in the lymph system, it will pop up somewhere else, but I came across this article that I sent to my husband's onc:

http://mj.med.u-tokai.ac.jp/pdf/370204.pdf

Keep in mind that if the biopsy is positive, there is not a whole lot of info on the internet about this, but many of the colonclub members have been able to keep it under control with chemo, radiation, etc.  

Good luck!

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    I had swollen Lymph nodes

I had swollen Lymph nodes near T5.  They went in for a needle biopsy and found they were granulomas. A good thing for me.

Good Luck with your needle biopsy.  Sending our thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome.

Best ALways, mike

• tammyghent
    tammyghent Member Posts: 9
    Needle Biopsy

I too had a CT Scan during chemo that showed enlarged thyroid. I had a needle biopsy done but it was benign. They may want to do a follow up ultrasound six months down the road to see if it is the same size. They did for me and mine had not changed. I don't know if the chemo caused the enlargment or not. They didn't seem to know but did say that enlarged thyroids are pretty common and most people don't even know they are unless they have some sort of scan done that shows it. I will pray your outcome is good like mine but try not to worry about it too much.

• Glammom
    Glammom Member Posts: 21

Needle Biopsy

I too had a CT Scan during chemo that showed enlarged thyroid. I had a needle biopsy done but it was benign. They may want to do a follow up ultrasound six months down the road to see if it is the same size. They did for me and mine had not changed. I don't know if the chemo caused the enlargment or not. They didn't seem to know but did say that enlarged thyroids are pretty common and most people don't even know they are unless they have some sort of scan done that shows it. I will pray your outcome is good like mine but try not to worry about it too much.

Thanks for all of the support

Thanks for all of the support had biopsy yesterday. they said results will be sent to dr in about 3 days.  I'm not going to worry too much about it until I hear something.  I will be sure to post.

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Glammom said:

Thanks for all of the support

Thanks for all of the support had biopsy yesterday. they said results will be sent to dr in about 3 days.  I'm not going to worry too much about it until I hear something.  I will be sure to post.

Thanks for letting us know.
    Thanks for letting us know. I'm pleased it went well. Will be anxiously awaiting your results.

Chelsea
  • AnnLouise
    AnnLouise Member Posts: 276 Member
    Similar situation......

My last Pet showed some nodes in neck, near or on the thyroid. Had CT and ultrasound and all three tests showed inconclusive. The doctors will watch them closely but say that nodes in the neck are common. Hopefully everything turns out well for you.....Keep us posted. Sending positive thoughts your way!  ~ Ann