Trying to enjoy the "luck" while we have it.

2»

Comments

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member

I don't believe in luck...

Once upon the time there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically.

“Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed you are lucky!

“Maybe,” replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune, what bad luck they proclaimed.

“Maybe,” answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how  lucky he was

“Maybe,” said the farmer.

and so on....

Sorry AA....Zen should be banned...

Hello Tony ... I have wondered how you son is doing with his

brain cancer.  I understand he has an MRI coming up.  Wish the best for you all with the results. I bet that the fact that he is with you and your family is safe even though you are in a part of the world that is filled with strife  ... are some wonderful bright sparks in your life.

Best,

Cynthia

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member

Tony is upset about the situation with Pete...

of course, he forgets (or just doesn't know) that a lot of people here actually care about Pete, and have had some really good interactions with him, long before TMWNN ever showed up.  It has been upsetting to see how Pete has changed over the last 6 months or so.  Personally, I hope Pete can hear what people were trying to tell him, and rejoin us with a slightly different approach.  Tony, on the other hand, would be better off communicating directly with Pete on his blog or via FB.  There's no reason whatsoever for him to be on this site.

ahem

I have to disagree with that about MWNN, Ann.   There are molecular and biological features to cancer that we can have in common, plus situational problems to CAM, that mean we often have common problems and solutions.     Finding an incisive technical discussion that pushes back the unknown, the erroneous and the   is quite difficult - certainly not with average doctors.    So I am glad MWNN is here, he surfaces new facets and sources that I find useful, where I have to "outlearn" my wife's mets.  And that is getting more difficult.   Btw, I lost a parent to colon cancer, way early, and I had polyps pulled out this morning, so I am pretty serious about this.   

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    tanstaafl said:

ahem

I have to disagree with that about MWNN, Ann.   There are molecular and biological features to cancer that we can have in common, plus situational problems to CAM, that mean we often have common problems and solutions.     Finding an incisive technical discussion that pushes back the unknown, the erroneous and the   is quite difficult - certainly not with average doctors.    So I am glad MWNN is here, he surfaces new facets and sources that I find useful, where I have to "outlearn" my wife's mets.  And that is getting more difficult.   Btw, I lost a parent to colon cancer, way early, and I had polyps pulled out this morning, so I am pretty serious about this.   

Tans

Every single one of us here, caregiver or cancer patient are pretty d@mn serious about this, please don't feel alone in that.  Each one of us wants to live longer, I haven't met anyone that hasn't.

Winter Marie

• manwithnoname
    manwithnoname Member Posts: 402

I've said that a few times about mwnn

And got my head handed to me on a plate so kept silent.  Apparently that just gave more encouragemet as more and more became silent too.  I'm glad others have spoke their minds, and even as Pete stepped off the deep end I still wrote him, not about cancer stuff, just things to have hopefully brightened his day ignoring the cancer side of our lives, I do hope Pete stays on, but tones down the insulting remarks.

Winter Marie

Who handed you your

head on a plate? and why? the last thing you have done is kept silent.

• manwithnoname
    manwithnoname Member Posts: 402

of course, he forgets (or just doesn't know) that a lot of people here actually care about Pete, and have had some really good interactions with him, long before TMWNN ever showed up.  It has been upsetting to see how Pete has changed over the last 6 months or so.  Personally, I hope Pete can hear what people were trying to tell him, and rejoin us with a slightly different approach.  Tony, on the other hand, would be better off communicating directly with Pete on his blog or via FB.  There's no reason whatsoever for him to be on this site.

You are right

"There's no reason whatsoever for him to be on this site."

All I've done is tried to help folk here with things I found on my journey, at best it's not appreciated at worst I'm personally attacked.

Adios

• steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Luck
    Thanks for the post and personal story. I can really identify with the fluctuating thoughts we have IN different phases of this journey about how we see our luck and lives. Have done the same move from the 'I'm so unlucky, why me?' thinking to the 'I'm so lucky just to be alive' thinking and can still oscillate between the two on a daily basis. In truth the prior is inevitable but ultimately unhelpful and the latter is a sign of the adaptation in our thinking we need to do to survive and accept this illness.
    One thing my family has added to its weekly ritual is a Sunday night 'tablecloth dinner' where we eat together at a set table and start by saying our 'thankfuls' of things from the week past we are grateful for. The kids (5 and 8) really appreciate this and do help us remember that even in the darkest moments we have stuff to be thankful for.

Steve
  • Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    Some of my recent bright

Some of my recent bright spots include are that both kids are really buckling down and helping out.   I put up a chore chart...simple things like feed the cat, was dishes, help me with the laundry, practice your cello, etc. They really have taken responsibility for getting their jobs done every day and it really has helped me manage some of the day to day things that need to be done ion the house so that I can rest when I need to.  Both of them did very well on their report cards this term...i have friends that have arguments with their kids over getting homework done or studying - my kids have been getting it done without any issues.  My husband is doing well at work...he's off to Germany tonight for business this week....I wish I could have gone with him...Paris is only 4 hours away from where he will be.  I am so happy for him that he is finally getting to do something he has always wanted to do...travel.   We talked about it and plan to start saving for a trip for the 2 of us maybe next year....I just need to concentrate on getting some medical bills paid off first.  As for me, I am finally feeling a little better... I am keeping myself busy with project plansaround the house and my needlework ... It feels great to finally finish a few things.

Alex

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Thanks for the thread AA

I feel lucky that I'm still here 3 years out to see my son's life turn around in a positive way.  In the three years, he's gone from living with his mother, being my major caretaker as my husband lives out of state, no-future job, no love interest .... to moving out to his own place, great job with great future, and a lovely fiancee.  Wedding is in September in Boulder, Colorado.  I am so very lucky to have survived this long to see these positive changes in my only child.  

Best, Vita

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    tanstaafl said:

ahem

I actually agree with you...

I let my emotions get the better of me yesterday and I've apologized to Tony for that.  AA

• Coloncancerblows
    Coloncancerblows Member Posts: 296 Member
    Thank you for your post Ann. 

Thank you for your post Ann.  I know I am lucky because I had flex card money left in my account to make me get my colonsocopy in November.  If I didn't, no telling how worse off I would be.  I am a loving family, friends who care about me and thank God my cancer was caught when it was. 

• tanstaafl

I actually agree with you...

I let my emotions get the better of me yesterday and I've apologized to Tony for that.  AA

Thanks.

Thanks.

• tanstaafl

Tans

Every single one of us here, caregiver or cancer patient are pretty d@mn serious about this, please don't feel alone in that.  Each one of us wants to live longer, I haven't met anyone that hasn't.

Winter Marie

serious is relative

The difference is someone wanting and doing in the face of uncertainty, doubt and even opposition, with limited time and resources. 

It is one thing to sign a charge card and an insurance form for some shake and bake medical procedure.  Wading through several thousand research papers and a myriad of abstracts to spend 100% self paid cash is something different.  

It is one thing to sign waivers for a doctor doing routine standard of care or even a phase II - III trial,  vs being one of the few, or perhaps the first, to do something really different, even pointedly against standard medical advice.  

MWNN was that rare member with a degree of motivation, research and experience that could extend cancer treatments into new options with an independent technical view most people simply do not have.  Each option is precious.

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member

Thank you for your post Ann. 

Thank you for your post Ann.  I know I am lucky because I had flex card money left in my account to make me get my colonsocopy in November.  If I didn't, no telling how worse off I would be.  I am a loving family, friends who care about me and thank God my cancer was caught when it was. 

Oh No, Bright Sparks!

Love your positive post, Ann.

As for bright sparks, around my house I'd be looking for where the fire is burning. LOL  Seriously though, as life has many ups and downs, all you can do is to thrive on the ups and manage to get through the downs. I did like Tony's post. It just shows that for every positive, there is a negative. Is that Zen? I'm afraid I have never looked to see what it is.

I'm not grateful that JBG has cancer, but I'm grateful that her spleenectomy was successful and has given her the ability to add ammunition for the battle. I'm not grateful that my hubby has cancer and was bleeding out around his feeding tube yesterday. I am grateful for the paramedics who arrived and got him to the hospital. I'm not grateful for all of us having to endure the illness and stress. I am grateful that we have the tenacity to fight, absorb the stress and continue on. So, I guess it's all relative.

Is it luck? Is it Karma? Is it now, or has it always been completely out of our hands?

Luv,

Wolfen

• annalexandria
    wolfen said:

Oh No, Bright Sparks!

Love your positive post, Ann.

As for bright sparks, around my house I'd be looking for where the fire is burning. LOL  Seriously though, as life has many ups and downs, all you can do is to thrive on the ups and manage to get through the downs. I did like Tony's post. It just shows that for every positive, there is a negative. Is that Zen? I'm afraid I have never looked to see what it is.

I'm not grateful that JBG has cancer, but I'm grateful that her spleenectomy was successful and has given her the ability to add ammunition for the battle. I'm not grateful that my hubby has cancer and was bleeding out around his feeding tube yesterday. I am grateful for the paramedics who arrived and got him to the hospital. I'm not grateful for all of us having to endure the illness and stress. I am grateful that we have the tenacity to fight, absorb the stress and continue on. So, I guess it's all relative.

Is it luck? Is it Karma? Is it now, or has it always been completely out of our hands?

Luv,

Wolfen

That's pretty funny...

the house burning down thing.  I've definitely had times where that would have been the case.  I think I needed to have titled this something else, as my use of the word "luck" kind of got everything started.  Actually used those parantheses on purpose, as I wasn't really talking about the concept of luck at all, rather the concept of appreciation for the times when things are going well.  Sigh...that's online communication for ya!  AA

• renw
    renw Member Posts: 282 Member

What a nice way to tell
    What a nice way to tell someone to f$$$ off the board. Didn't you flame pete for the same? Tony is one of the most valuable members on this board colorectal or not. Shame you can't see it.
  • annalexandria
    renw said:

What a nice way to tell
    What a nice way to tell someone to f$$$ off the board. Didn't you flame pete for the same? Tony is one of the most valuable members on this board colorectal or not. Shame you can't see it.

this is all already resolved.  Tony and I have talked via PM and sorted things out.  You can also read his "OK" post to get further clarification.  AA

• wawaju04976
    wawaju04976 Member Posts: 316 Member
    AnnLouise said:

Bright sparks.....

Ann, thank you for your post and sharing...a reminder to emphasize the bright sparks in our lives is so important. A loving husband, five children,two daughter-in-laws and three precious grandchildren are certainly my brights sparks. I actually got to dance with my son at his wedding...I am blessed! I got to see two children graduate from college....how proud! My High School junior won the football state championship, and two boys got new teaching jobs....English and English dept. head. All things I wasn't sure I would be able to share with them. My granddaughter is 18 months old and I have been able to see her walk and talk...How adorable! And the grandsons are my precious boys!  Thing are not always good as my cancer has recently progressed but we are taking each step as a family.  Our daffodils are also coming up through the snow.....can't wait to plant flowers!   ~Ann

I feel very lucky. In

I feel very lucky. In December, after getting the stage 4 diagnosis, I felt defeated. Since then I feel better than I have in years (having my 8th tx of Folfox this coming Friday). My son just got engaged last weekend, and I intend to be at his wedding next summer (and feeling as good as I do right now). Again, I am thankful my children are healthy, and I can make sure they know to get screened earlier than age 50 for colon cancer. Yes, it's the little things...I look at things very differently now.

Judy

• wawaju04976
    wawaju04976 Member Posts: 316 Member
    AnnLouise said:

Bright sparks.....

Ann, thank you for your post and sharing...a reminder to emphasize the bright sparks in our lives is so important. A loving husband, five children,two daughter-in-laws and three precious grandchildren are certainly my brights sparks. I actually got to dance with my son at his wedding...I am blessed! I got to see two children graduate from college....how proud! My High School junior won the football state championship, and two boys got new teaching jobs....English and English dept. head. All things I wasn't sure I would be able to share with them. My granddaughter is 18 months old and I have been able to see her walk and talk...How adorable! And the grandsons are my precious boys!  Thing are not always good as my cancer has recently progressed but we are taking each step as a family.  Our daffodils are also coming up through the snow.....can't wait to plant flowers!   ~Ann

I feel very lucky. In

I feel very lucky. In December, after getting the stage 4 diagnosis, I felt defeated. Since then I feel better than I have in years (having my 8th tx of Folfox this coming Friday). My son just got engaged last weekend, and I intend to be at his wedding next summer (and feeling as good as I do right now). Again, I am thankful my children are healthy, and I can make sure they know to get screened earlier than age 50 for colon cancer. Yes, it's the little things...I look at things very differently now.

Judy