Biopsy on Friday

Rainbo
Rainbo Member Posts: 10

Hi -

My husband just turned 50. He had a routine lab draw and his PSA was 13.5.  Saw the urologist and did the recommended course of antibiotics.  Just rec'd the news that his PSA came back at 14.8. 

Needless to same I am extemely nervours about the biospy and possible results.

Am grateful this is a place I can review and find additional information - thanks all for the "ear"...

Comments

• ralph.townsend1
    ralph.townsend1 Member Posts: 359 Member
    Worry

The faster your husband gets the biopsy behind him. It might be Okay and worry for nothing.

Let us know soon!

God Bless

• Rainbo
    Yes - I will check back in -

Yes - I will check back in - thank you for your kind response  :)

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    P PDear Rainbo,

As you know the PSA can be affected by urinary infection among other things such as sex, vigorous exercise such as bike riding and even a hard stool, and even the size of the prostate affects the PSA reading. Men with large prostates have a higher reading in general. I hope that the doc did not do a digital rectal exam before the PSA since this will elevate the numbers.

Generally, antibiotic such as Cipro is given for a month for urinary infection, with hope of reduding the PSA to a more normal level.

I wonder, did your husband have a digital rectal exam. Was it normal, if not, what did it indicate?

When your husband has his biopsy, please make sure that the doctor will do at least 12 cores, ...this is very important, since some doctors do less, and the cancer is less likely to be detected, and your husband if he is not diagnosed will not be effectively treated.  Basically, the biopsy takes random cores. If a bump was found during the digital rectal exam, the doc may want to sample additional(s) cores that area.

A lso with a more complete biopsy you will have some more confidence in the results of the test.

By the way there is a test PCA3 which helps in making a decision to have a biopsy, however the numbers that are reported a fairly high, and a biopsy is probably warranted

My thoughs and prayers are with you.

I am hoping for the best and  peace of mind to you and your husband.

• Rainbo
    Thank you - such helpful

Thank you - such helpful information!!

Had a high PSA of 13.5, Saw the doctor and he did the exam you describe.  Prescribed a course of antibiotics.  Took another bood draw for PSA and it came back at 14.8 so scheduled the biopsy.  Tomorrow we will have that he has said he will take 12 samples.

Thanks for the positive energy and will let you know what I find out.

• Rainbo
    Good Morning -
    Husband had

Good Morning -

Husband had the biopsy yesterday; uncomfortable, but not as bad as we thought it would be - waiting for the results now.

• Rainbo
    Emotional Day...
    Biopsy results came back. Hubby's Gleason score of 7...tomorrow we have a barium CT scheduled then later part 1 of a bone scan...afterr that part 2 of the bone scan. We will then go and see our doctor for options.

Thanks for listening and hugs to all those who are beginning their journey as we are - very fast how your life can change in the blink of an eye...I just have to remember to breathe and take each day as it comes.
  • ralph.townsend1
    Rainbo said:

Emotional Day...
    Biopsy results came back. Hubby's Gleason score of 7...tomorrow we have a barium CT scheduled then later part 1 of a bone scan...afterr that part 2 of the bone scan. We will then go and see our doctor for options.

Thanks for listening and hugs to all those who are beginning their journey as we are - very fast how your life can change in the blink of an eye...I just have to remember to breathe and take each day as it comes.

How many points

A gleason of 7 could not be bad. How many points were gleason 7 and what was the percentage of cancer?

You and your hubby will be fine!!!Cool

Get the CT and Bone scan done.

God Bless!

• janei1
    janei1 Member Posts: 18
    2 months into this

Try to relax.  My hubbies PSA came back at 8 last Dec.  he did the biopsy and it came back positive for cancer.  We did the bone scans and MRI and spent an hour with our urologist . All scans were negative , we visited with a radiologist and opted for davinci robotic surgery.  My hubby is 70 but in exc health so they gave him that option. He had his surgery on Feb 20th spent one night in the hospital and is doing fantastic. All pathology was negative for cancer that was lymph nodes and seminal vesicles every thing points to a great recovery 

• hopeful and optimistic
    Rainbo said:

Emotional Day...

Dear Rainbo,

As Ralph mentioned, how many cores were positive, what was the Gleason score and percent cancer found in each core that was positive. You mentioned a Gleason 7. Is that a 3+4=7 or a 4+3=7; there is a difference. There is more of the first number in the sample; so the  the Gleason score will indicated that a  a 3+4 is less aggressive than a 4+3=7

Determining Gleason score and involvement, the percent cancer in each core is a subjective so you want to have a second opinion by a world class Pathologist so that you are not under or over treated. Two such pathologists are Francisco Civantos (FL) 305-325-5587 and David grignon (Michigan) 313-745-2520.

There are various diagnostic tests to determine if there is extracapsular extension, that is if the cancer is outside the core, which will help in the decision for a treatment choice.

IN  my opinion an MRI with a Tesla 3.0 magnet is the most effective test to determine small areas of potential cancers that a bone scan is not able to determine. There are centers of excellence with the best personnel and facilities such as UCSF and other major centers of excellence.

You want to find the best qualified facility and personnel to do diagnostic testing and treatment

• Rainbo
    Thanks for the comments...

His gleason is 7 (3+4) so that was a bright spot.  Will be good to get these tests out of the way and figure out what the next step is.

Thanks everyone - the support is so helpful and appreciated.  Will check in tonight after the diagnostics.

• Rainbo
    Decision Made

We went throughour diagnostics yesterday.  Clean bone scan and clean CT scan. We are opting for robotics and removal of prostate.  Hope to know soon when that will be.

Hugs and best wishes to all...

• ralph.townsend1
    janei1 said:

2 months into this

Try to relax.  My hubbies PSA came back at 8 last Dec.  he did the biopsy and it came back positive for cancer.  We did the bone scans and MRI and spent an hour with our urologist . All scans were negative , we visited with a radiologist and opted for davinci robotic surgery.  My hubby is 70 but in exc health so they gave him that option. He had his surgery on Feb 20th spent one night in the hospital and is doing fantastic. All pathology was negative for cancer that was lymph nodes and seminal vesicles every thing points to a great recovery 

Thats Great

I would still have follow ups for the first 5 years to make sure the monster is gone. A psa a year, keeps the doctors away!

• ralph.townsend1
    Rainbo said:

Decision Made

We went throughour diagnostics yesterday.  Clean bone scan and clean CT scan. We are opting for robotics and removal of prostate.  Hope to know soon when that will be.

I question?

Removal Prostate, get another option. There are maybe option's like HT or Radiation.

The removal of the prostate is life changing and make sure the doctor has told you all the side effects!

The docter's can use scare tactic's to make money! There is a study about doctor's doing unnecessary surgery.

I removed my prostate with psa 6.8 and gleason scores of 4+5 7 out 12 and at 3+4 on 2 points.

Maybe Dr Patrick Walsh's ( Guide to surviving Prostate Cancer) book.

Just be careful, God Bless

• hopeful and optimistic
    Rainbo said:

Decision Made

Good luck on your decision

Since prostate cancer is very slow growing many of us have spoken with doctors in various specialties of treatment.

In a previous post to you, I suggested that you have an MRI to look for any extracapsular extension, and a second opinion by a world class pathologist to make sure that the results of the biopsy that you received is accurate.  Do you plan to do any of this?

By the way Ralph and I each asked you for the details of your biopsy. You mentioned that there was a 3+=7; you did not mention the number core(s) or the percent of each core that was canceroius. We are interested to know, hopefully we would be able to give some input that will be useful for you and your husband.

Treatment for prostate cancer is a life altering decision, and is individualistic, and requires research.

You need to do due diligence, having complete diagnostic tests and interviewing doctors in varrious treatment specialties to make the best decision for you..

Good luck.

• Rainbo
    Thanks

for all your comments and well wishes - will keep you posted.

• dwhite1031
    dwhite1031 Member Posts: 26
    Rainbo said:

Thanks

for all your comments and well wishes - will keep you posted.

Get a second opinion

If your Uroloogist is worth his salt, he won't have a problem with you getting a second opinion.  Also, educate yourself as much as possible.  Dr. Walsh's book is excellent but be cautious as there is a lot of "mumbo jumbo howl at the moon and cure your cancer" type books out there as well and also on the internet.  

I chose to go to MD Anderson for a 2nd opinion at the encouragement of my local Urologist. I had a Gleason score of 9 (5+4) with 8 out of 12 cores positive.  Local Dr  and the MDACC doctors told me my cancer was very agressive.  We also chose the DaVinci surgery and after 3 months of hormone therapy in a clinical trial to shrink the tumors, I had a successful surgery.  My first post-op PSA was >.01 and I go back every three months now for PSA and exams.  

You can get thru this!  But like the other folks that have said so, I highly recommend getting a second opinion.

May God bless you and your husband, and take solice in the fact that the doctors and surgeons are only the tools of the Great Physician and Healer.