CT Scan today - other information

I had my CT scan today and I'm happy to report I'm still NED!  The oncologist was very encouraged and what a relief!  I had scanxiety bad this time.  I took Ativan the last two nights so I could sleep.  While there I asked him some other questions:

SHINGLES VACCINE:

Generally he does NOT recommend because:

1. It was not tested on cancer patients or patients with immune system issues (HIV, immuno-suppressed, etc.)
2. If patient is immuno compromised/suppressed, can cause chicken pox and all kinds of problems.   He also stated that it's rare for someone to have shingles more than one time (but it is possible).

FAST TEST RESULTS:

I asked how I get results so quickly there where others here on the site have to wait, etc.  He stated that they have labs and personnel there on the campus and it's all digital.  They don't have to send anything off for results, etc.  He said it's very helpful to the physicians and patients so they can test and consult in the same visit and not have patients who live far away to make additonal visits.  Also, it helps them to respond/react quicker to patient conditions.  Where I go is part of a medical school and is a teaching hospital - which means I often have to tolerate students and interns visiting me (especially during treatment in the hospital) but it's generally not been a problem. 

I am very grateful for all of you on this site and for those weathering gloomy clouds right now, I truly hope the sun comes out soon :).

Biggest hugs,

Jim

animated sun photo: Sunny Day animated sun sun.gif

Comments

• COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    GREAT !!!!

Jim,

That is great to hear. It usually takes me 2 days to get my results. Thats when my anxiety starts. Again, that is the BEST news I heard all day. Now, put that target back on your back. LOL John

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    COBRA666 said:

GREAT !!!!

Jim,

That is great to hear. It usually takes me 2 days to get my results. Thats when my anxiety starts. Again, that is the BEST news I heard all day. Now, put that target back on your back. LOL John

Thanks John

LOL, John.  Thank you, sir.

• forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    So Happy

Hi Jim

So very happy to read your post. You are amazing and it shows. Continued good health and tons of happiness.

Huge hugs my friend,

Lisha

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    Positive attitude

That is absolutely wonderful news.  Some of it must be your positive attitude and sense of humor.  I think I can speak for all of us and send you a ginormous HUG!!!!

Stay well, our friend, Bill And Becky

• onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    Whoo HooT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim,

You made my day dear friend!!!  So very happy for you!! 

You are always so uplifting to all and just an extremely kind presence. 

So you best be out celebrating tonight!!

Love ya,

Donna

• jimwins
    forme said:

So Happy

Hi Jim

So very happy to read your post. You are amazing and it shows. Continued good health and tons of happiness.

Huge hugs my friend,

Lisha

Thanks Lisha

Thanks Lisha.  Now if I can win the lottery and take us to France ;).  Wait, I have won the lottery - I hope I learn how to spend it wisely :).  Think of you often.

• jimwins
    illead said:

Positive attitude

That is absolutely wonderful news.  Some of it must be your positive attitude and sense of humor.  I think I can speak for all of us and send you a ginormous HUG!!!!

Stay well, our friend, Bill And Becky

Thanks Bill and Becky

Gracias mis amigos.  Glad you hit the jackpot with the whales - that had to be humbling and awesome!

• jimwins
    onlytoday said:

Whoo HooT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim,

You made my day dear friend!!!  So very happy for you!! 

You are always so uplifting to all and just an extremely kind presence. 

So you best be out celebrating tonight!!

Love ya,

Donna

Thanks Donna

Thanks Donna and for the comments.  I have to tell you, if they ever recorded me early in the morning before I've had my coffee to greet the world (SLOWLY) or my occasional impatience behind the wheel (of a car), "kindness" probably wouldn't be the caption ;).

Hugs

• anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770
    Awesome news!!

Awesome news Jim!!!! I'm so happy for you, you deserve the best in life!!! ((((HUGE HUGS)))) 

Sincerely,

Liz

• ThisisLife
    ThisisLife Member Posts: 101 Member
    Yahoo!

That's awesome news Jim!!! So happy for you!!!

I'm up in Canada and in the area where I live, it is all digital too. For some things they can have the results the same day.  It sure beats having to wait for days.

Sharlene

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    jimwins said:

Thanks Bill and Becky

Gracias mis amigos.  Glad you hit the jackpot with the whales - that had to be humbling and awesome!

Margarita

Margaritas tonite for everyone......our treat.  Yes the whales were awesome, brings tears to your eyes.  Congrats again, B&B

• epicc
    epicc Member Posts: 137

Yahoo!

I'm up in Canada and in the area where I live, it is all digital too. For some things they can have the results the same day.  It sure beats having to wait for days.

Sharlene

Yay Jim

Hi Jim,

So happy to hear about your results.  I agree that your positive attitude and sense of humor (which cracks me up by the way) has alot to do with your recovery.  You truly are amazing.  Go out and celebrate!  You deserve it.  Keep playing lotto.  You never know.  We could all be on a plane before you know it.

My mom is also at a teaching hospital.  Stony Brook University Hospital.  Which my son attends.  He is in his last semester (Neuro Biology Major).  Today, my sister called me after her oncologists came in.  Looks like they are going to send her home this week.  All cultures are negative.  They want to wait an extra week or 2 before another chemo treatment so she can gain some strength.  They also said her cancer is in gross remission.  have you ever heard this term? 

Again, Hugs!!!! Love, Emily

• jimwins
    epicc said:

Yay Jim

Hi Jim,

So happy to hear about your results.  I agree that your positive attitude and sense of humor (which cracks me up by the way) has alot to do with your recovery.  You truly are amazing.  Go out and celebrate!  You deserve it.  Keep playing lotto.  You never know.  We could all be on a plane before you know it.

My mom is also at a teaching hospital.  Stony Brook University Hospital.  Which my son attends.  He is in his last semester (Neuro Biology Major).  Today, my sister called me after her oncologists came in.  Looks like they are going to send her home this week.  All cultures are negative.  They want to wait an extra week or 2 before another chemo treatment so she can gain some strength.  They also said her cancer is in gross remission.  have you ever heard this term? 

Again, Hugs!!!! Love, Emily

Hi Emily

Hi Emily and thank you.  I haven't heard the term "gross remission" but I think this is probably good news.  I looked up "gross" in terms of medical use and probably what most applies is "visible to the naked eye"  I would contact her oncologist to get clarification on that but I suspect it is really good news (fingers cossed). I saw somewhere else where it meant "no symptoms at all" but that was in a blog/chat post.

I hope she gets to come home soon - I'm sure it would lift her spirits greatly.  I think all in all, you have received good news and I'm glad!  Please update us and let us know what you find out about the term "gross remission".

Again, thank you for  your words.  I haven't bought a lottery ticket in ages and ages - maybe I will this week for fun - who knows - right?

Hugs back,

Jim

• jimwins

Yahoo!

Sharlene

Thanks Shar

Thank you Sharlene.  Yes, I think I have been spoiled.  It would be difficult to wait for results now.

Hugs - Jim

• jimwins

Awesome news!!

Awesome news Jim!!!! I'm so happy for you, you deserve the best in life!!! ((((HUGE HUGS)))) 

Sincerely,

Liz

Thanks Liz

Thank you Liz! Everyone has been so kind and I sincerely appreciate it.  

Texas size hugs to you. - Jim

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    jimwins said:

Thanks Shar

Thank you Sharlene.  Yes, I think I have been spoiled.  It would be difficult to wait for results now.

Hugs - Jim

WONDERFUL!

Hey Jim,

YIPPEE! I am so thrilled for you! I woke up this morning with a sore throat, headache and ear ache...went to the doc and now on strong antibiotics..UGH! Please enjoy this wonderful news and treat yourself to something something special! Much love...Sue

• jimwins
    allmost60 said:

WONDERFUL!

Hey Jim,

YIPPEE! I am so thrilled for you! I woke up this morning with a sore throat, headache and ear ache...went to the doc and now on strong antibiotics..UGH! Please enjoy this wonderful news and treat yourself to something something special! Much love...Sue

Thanks Sue

You been kissing those fish at the river again haven't you? LOL  Sorry you're under the weather - there have been so many things going around this year.  My niece's kids have had several things this winter and I've had my share of sinus and crud issues.  I plan to do something to celebrate later this week or next week with family.

I hope you feel better soon and thanks so much.  Oh, when is your scan coming up?

Jim

• cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    jimwins said:

Thanks Sue

You been kissing those fish at the river again haven't you? LOL  Sorry you're under the weather - there have been so many things going around this year.  My niece's kids have had several things this winter and I've had my share of sinus and crud issues.  I plan to do something to celebrate later this week or next week with family.

I hope you feel better soon and thanks so much.  Oh, when is your scan coming up?

Jim

Wonderful Jim!!!!  
    (Ask your

Wonderful Jim!!!!  

(Ask your doc if he wants to meet me, having had shingles for 15+ times now and most of them in the same place!)

Take Care and Enjoy!

Cathy

• allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    jimwins said:

Thanks Sue

Jim

Scan...

Hi Jim,

I still haven't got a call yet for a date....guess they have to clear it with my insurance first. I'll let you know when I find out. By the way...I talked to my doctor today about the shingles vaccine and he has now decided he does NOT want me to get the shot. I told him what Cathy had said and what your doctor said, so maybe thats why he changed his mind. I'm thinkin HE should have known more about this before telling me I could get the shot in the first place. Makes me wonder how competent he is...ya know? Oh well...at least now we know NOT to get the shingles vaccine. Sue  (FNHL-2-3a-6/10)

• epicc
    epicc Member Posts: 137
    allmost60 said:

Scan...

Hi Jim,

I still haven't got a call yet for a date....guess they have to clear it with my insurance first. I'll let you know when I find out. By the way...I talked to my doctor today about the shingles vaccine and he has now decided he does NOT want me to get the shot. I told him what Cathy had said and what your doctor said, so maybe thats why he changed his mind. I'm thinkin HE should have known more about this before telling me I could get the shot in the first place. Makes me wonder how competent he is...ya know? Oh well...at least now we know NOT to get the shingles vaccine. Sue  (FNHL-2-3a-6/10)

Feel Better

Hi Sue,  So sorry you are not feeling well.  I'm sure the antibiotics will kick in soon and you will be back to normal.  Get some rest.  Love Emily