16mm non-calcified nodule

dinkyd
dinkyd Member Posts: 2

HI

I found all of you by accident as part of succumbing to Googling lung nodules.

I came down with the cold/flu that was epidemic this year.  After 6 wks my MD decided to do a chest xray to rule out pneumonia.  I went directly from her office to the appointment.  2 hrs later my MD called and told me I had pneumonia but they'd also noticed 2 nodules and wanted me to have a CT scan after completing a 10-day round of antibiotics for pneumonia.

10 days later, I had a CT scan.  MD called that afternoon and told me that I have 2 nodules. Not calcified. One is 16mm in the upper right lobe of your lung and another smaller one in the lower right lobe.'  The radiologist and MD then recommended a PET Scan - I'm having that done in 2 days.

Ignorance is bliss.  I've made it through a couple weeks of not trying to panic, now I'm not doing so good.  I've been writing the nodules off to Valley Fever - which most people in AZ end up having at one point or another, but my MD didn't really encourage that idea.   So, I started Googling - a good thing in many ways, but now I've some statistics and I'm not feeling so secure.  

The PET Scan doesn't sound like the end-result as I thought, but more like the step before "how are we going to treat this?"  

I guess I'm looking for someone to hold my hand for a moment, pat me on the head and tell me it's going to be okay.

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Welcome to CSN Dinkyd!

First, nodules are very common after a bronchial infection and most come to nothing.  If the statistics you are reading are about lung cancer and survival rates-STOP THAT!  Those are based on pre-targeted therapy treatments and due to that are no longer valid.  Yes the PET is one of the last steps before biopsy but it is good that there is not calcified. There is still a possibility that the nodule is related to an infection.  You are experiencing a phenomenon known as scanxiety.  Ask for something for anxiety if you need another ct.  Please let us know what happens.  

• dinkyd
    dinkyd Member Posts: 2
    dennycee said:

Welcome to CSN Dinkyd!

First, nodules are very common after a bronchial infection and most come to nothing.  If the statistics you are reading are about lung cancer and survival rates-STOP THAT!  Those are based on pre-targeted therapy treatments and due to that are no longer valid.  Yes the PET is one of the last steps before biopsy but it is good that there is not calcified. There is still a possibility that the nodule is related to an infection.  You are experiencing a phenomenon known as scanxiety.  Ask for something for anxiety if you need another ct.  Please let us know what happens.  

Thanks dennycee!
    Your

Thanks dennycee!

Your diagnosis is spot on.  Scanxiety.  Yup.  that's it.

Thank you for the calming words.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    dinkyd said:

Thanks dennycee!
    Your

Thanks dennycee!

Big day

A note to say hi, am thinking of you and hope you have fab scan today !

• Rosi
    Rosi Member Posts: 69
    dinkyd said:

Thanks dennycee!
    Your

Thanks dennycee!

God is always with you

dinkyd, Just say:" JESUS I TRUST IN YOU" everything will be ok.

Rosi