Went to a dutch swap meet today....

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

... in the southern part of The Netherlands...went through FAST!

So, instead of driving right back...we decided, instead, to have lunch in Germany!  We had pork roulade, red cabbage, and potatoes with a lovely brown gravy!

Gotta LOVE the geography of Western Europe!!!!

(We filled up on gas...20 Euro cents per liter cheaper than in Holland...and bought some German liverwurst and some smoked meat...mmmm!)

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    see you soon for lunch I hope

I land in Franfurt on the 4th february.

I will enjoy the red cabbage and gravy, alas you can have the pork and spuds. 

I will get some fish or chicken for my main.

hugs,

Pete

PS I miss europe. Was that wife or husband swapping ?

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

see you soon for lunch I hope

I land in Franfurt on the 4th february.

I will enjoy the red cabbage and gravy, alas you can have the pork and spuds. 

I will get some fish or chicken for my main.

hugs,

Pete

PS I miss europe. Was that wife or husband swapping ?

Bhahahahaha!!!

Both, I would imagine, Pete, knowing the Dutch!!!!!

Actually, it was better than that.  First of all, I must remind you that neither the Dutch nor the Germans are very good at spontaneous laughter...and, well, to put it short....I AM!!!  So, I laughed loudly at an experience while we were there, and infected other people there as well...first stares, and then, when I explained, with smiles...

I was negotiating a price for some stuff, in my best Dutch (which, BTW, is getting VERY MUCH better!).  The seller responded with something, I understood the 5 but not the 50 (cents).  I asked her twice, and then said (in Dutch)..."I only know 2 languages, Dutch and English and my Dutch is not very good...I don't understand what you are saying!" (mind you, with a smile on my face...).  She then smiled, and switched to Dutch/English...she said "Oh, I thought you were German!"  (I have much family from Germany originally, and, with my dark brown hair and eyes, and square chin, this is not the first time I have been mistaken for being German).  So, that, of course, started a chat about me coming from So California, and we live here in The Netherlands 6 months of the year...etc...and she complementing me on my Dutch....

For the rest of the walk, I was smiling...and telling my story...the Dutch LOVE to speak English...and I love to interact...so, it's always a win/win!  (except one German guy who, after running into something, and I sort of comiserated with a chuckle along with his female companion, gave me SUCH a LOOK!!!)....

Grins, dearest....see you in February....safe travels!!!

Hugs, Kathi

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    KathiM said:

Bhahahahaha!!!

Both, I would imagine, Pete, knowing the Dutch!!!!!

Actually, it was better than that.  First of all, I must remind you that neither the Dutch nor the Germans are very good at spontaneous laughter...and, well, to put it short....I AM!!!  So, I laughed loudly at an experience while we were there, and infected other people there as well...first stares, and then, when I explained, with smiles...

I was negotiating a price for some stuff, in my best Dutch (which, BTW, is getting VERY MUCH better!).  The seller responded with something, I understood the 5 but not the 50 (cents).  I asked her twice, and then said (in Dutch)..."I only know 2 languages, Dutch and English and my Dutch is not very good...I don't understand what you are saying!" (mind you, with a smile on my face...).  She then smiled, and switched to Dutch/English...she said "Oh, I thought you were German!"  (I have much family from Germany originally, and, with my dark brown hair and eyes, and square chin, this is not the first time I have been mistaken for being German).  So, that, of course, started a chat about me coming from So California, and we live here in The Netherlands 6 months of the year...etc...and she complementing me on my Dutch....

For the rest of the walk, I was smiling...and telling my story...the Dutch LOVE to speak English...and I love to interact...so, it's always a win/win!  (except one German guy who, after running into something, and I sort of comiserated with a chuckle along with his female companion, gave me SUCH a LOOK!!!)....

Grins, dearest....see you in February....safe travels!!!

Hugs, Kathi

wonderful story

i am proud of my dutch genes

hugs,

pete