Zytiga, hopefully this is the answer to prayer

Wackytacky
Wackytacky Member Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in Prostate Cancer #1

My dad will turn 78 this April .....God willing

his first battle was 12 years ago when he went in for a prostatectomy, which do to complication the removal was unsuccessful.  He thn went through several weeks of radiation, and PSA levels returned to normal.   We were told watchful waiting until the prostate cancer rears its ugly head, probably in 10 years.

about 2 years ago, almost to the day lupron shots were started and kept his levels in the normal range.

christmas 2011 he stared with leg pain, and lower back pain.  By march the urologist recommended a TURP.... 

Several trips to the hospital, we lost count after 15....

5 stays in the hospital, by sept he was told the prostate cancer had spread to the lymph nodes.  Huge mass in the lower back(lymph node)

by this time he has lost 70 pounds...he is 6'4" and weighed 220.

its time to see the oncologist.

PET scan shows several hot spots through th lymph nodes, from the lower back, up to the armpit but only on the left side with no bone lesions.  Recommend radiation for pain relief, which was a success.   

But now his PSA level started raising, and the tumor under his armpit grew.  Casodex which was introduced in October was stopped and chemo(taxotere) started on dec 29th.   That treatment landed him in the hospital for a week with. Blood infection and puenomonia 

Thursday, this past week...three weeks from the first  chemo treatment hit he tumor grew 3x tuse size from dec 29th.  The oncologist said it was time to introduce zytiga.  It's been ordered and he will start that this Thursday.

he is in very poor health at this point, everything stemming from the cancer.  Never been sick a day in his life, but the PC.

not sure what to expect

ive been surfing know Internet trying to find successful cases, and its our understanding if zytiga doesn't work that dad won't survive much longer.  Once  treatment is started what time frame before they say its working?

Comments

• ralph.townsend1
    ralph.townsend1 Member Posts: 359 Member
    Zytiga

I have been on Zytiga for one year and it has kept my psa under >1. It also kept my Lymph Nodes tumors very small.

One year it has given me. Make sure he take it on time and the same time each day. I have found that eating and taking my medicine with the predinsone 5mg first and waiting TWO hours then take the Zytiga 1000 mg. Wait ONE hour before eating again!

Follow this and it will or should help fight your prostate cancer (The Monster)

Good luck and God Bless!

Ralph

• Wackytacky

Zytiga

I have been on Zytiga for one year and it has kept my psa under >1. It also kept my Lymph Nodes tumors very small.

One year it has given me. Make sure he take it on time and the same time each day. I have found that eating and taking my medicine with the predinsone 5mg first and waiting TWO hours then take the Zytiga 1000 mg. Wait ONE hour before eating again!

Good luck and God Bless!

Ralph

Ralph,  thank you for your

Ralph,  thank you for your reply!   We are holding on to hope, that this pill will buy him some more time.   did you have side effects?   is it possible the tumors will shrink?   

• Wackytacky

Zytiga

Good luck and God Bless!

Ralph

Ralph,  thank you for your reply!   We are holding on to hope, that this pill will buy him some more time.   did you have side effects?   is it possible the tumors will shrink?   

• Wackytacky

Zytiga

Good luck and God Bless!

Ralph

• ralph.townsend1

YeS

Everything has a side effect, I'm sad that It happens. It is better than driving over the cliff, you can do it!!!!!!

• Wackytacky

YeS

Everything has a side effect, I'm sad that It happens. It is better than driving over the cliff, you can do it!!!!!!

4 days and counting

Dad started his zytiga on Thursday .

The dr said we should know in 2 weeks if this is going to work.......holding on to hope that it will.  The tumor grew another cm in a week.  So at this point the PC is very aggressive.  

• ralph.townsend1

4 days and counting

Dad started his zytiga on Thursday .

The dr said we should know in 2 weeks if this is going to work.......holding on to hope that it will.  The tumor grew another cm in a week.  So at this point the PC is very aggressive.  

I beleive

In  December 15, 2011 in two months my psa had triple and lymph node tumor's also increase in size. On February 1st of 2012 I started Zytiga, I had to wait a whole month and the first of March my psa went back down to 0.2. In 6 months later the psa started going up slowly and did a CT and Bone scan. Everything was okay, my tumor were still smaller. In December 2012 the psa went back down and is still down. I back to MD Anderson for CT and Bone scan in February 10 Sunday CT scan and February 11 Bone scan and see the doctor.

I hope the best for you and for me!

• Wackytacky

I beleive

In  December 15, 2011 in two months my psa had triple and lymph node tumor's also increase in size. On February 1st of 2012 I started Zytiga, I had to wait a whole month and the first of March my psa went back down to 0.2. In 6 months later the psa started going up slowly and did a CT and Bone scan. Everything was okay, my tumor were still smaller. In December 2012 the psa went back down and is still down. I back to MD Anderson for CT and Bone scan in February 10 Sunday CT scan and February 11 Bone scan and see the doctor.

I hope the best for you and for me!

Great news!

Dad had to make an unscheduled visit to the dr m......which landed him in the hospital.

but. The tumors have already shrunk!   The dr was quite surprised that we are already seeing results after 7 days!

Ralph, I've shared your story with my dad and he thanks you for sharing your experience....and wishes you continued good results.

• djs123
    djs123 Member Posts: 102

Great news!

Dad had to make an unscheduled visit to the dr m......which landed him in the hospital.

but. The tumors have already shrunk!   The dr was quite surprised that we are already seeing results after 7 days!

Ralph, I've shared your story with my dad and he thanks you for sharing your experience....and wishes you continued good results.

great news

So very happy for you and your dad!

Praying for continued good results for you.

• Wackytacky

Great news!

Dad lost his battle

Dad passed away Friday.  On Wednesday when we went back for his 2 week check up to see how the zytiga was working the tumors grow started growing, yet again.  At that point the Dr gave dad the option to try it for another 10 days or stop.  Dad chose to stop.  We brought him home, and made him as comfortable as comfortable as can be.

• ralph.townsend1

Dad lost his battle

Dad passed away Friday.  On Wednesday when we went back for his 2 week check up to see how the zytiga was working the tumors grow started growing, yet again.  At that point the Dr gave dad the option to try it for another 10 days or stop.  Dad chose to stop.  We brought him home, and made him as comfortable as comfortable as can be.

Sorry, my heart cry's

You and Your family are in my prayers. Your Dad was a brave and strong man. with his fight against this beast.

May he Rest In Peace.

God Bless you and your family!

• Wackytacky

Sorry, my heart cry's

You and Your family are in my prayers. Your Dad was a brave and strong man. with his fight against this beast.

May he Rest In Peace.

Brave and strong

That he was.  He put up one hell of a fightFor it just wasn't meant to be.  I pray that something was learned from his ordeal in order to help understand this beast of a diease.  I will continue to visit in order to follow the stories.

• Wackytacky

Sorry, my heart cry's

May he Rest In Peace.

Brave and strong

That he was.  He put up one hell of a fightFor it just wasn't meant to be.  I pray that something was learned from his ordeal in order to help understand this beast of a diease.  I will continue to visit in order to follow the stories.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

Brave and strong

Brave and Strong

Wacky

I am very sorry for the news. I believe he is looking at you from the above in appreciation for the care and comfort you gave him. You also have been very brave in his fighting and I am thankful for posting his story. He couldn’t have better.

Twelve years as a survivor of PCa is remarkable. His last fight was against a very advanced status of the illness. He knew about the difficulties but he fought it well.

Please accept my deepest condolence to you and your family.

VGama

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member

Brave and strong

Brave and strong

I am sadden about the loss of your Father.

You did you best to help.

My sincere condolences

• Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351

Brave and strong

I am sadden about the loss of your Father.

You did you best to help.

My sincere condolences

Loss

We are all saddened by the loss of anyone to this disease.  I am teuly sorry for the loss of your father. My condolences.

Mike