First post

renw
renw Member Posts: 282 Member

Hello all, been on the forum for a while so decided time to introduce myself.

I am from Melbourne, Australia and have been diagnosed with stage 4 mCRC in october.  I have extensive liver mets, taking over maybe 70% of the liver. Had five rounds of folfox thus far which failed so onto folfiri from this week. I have a biochemistry background so have been taking advantage of this and doing a lot if research over the last few months. Found some very interestings things and plan to stop chemo soon to explore some of these. In the process of setting up a blog so will post more info. Many of the treatments are really out of the box, but all based on solid science. Time will tell I Guess.

Ren

Comments

• LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Welcome Ren,  We have a few

Welcome Ren,  We have a few Australians on here, Peter, Ron, and others, I'm sure they'll chime in with a hello soon.  Pete has been having success with his alternative treatments, so you and he may be able to compare notes.  Wishing you well on this journey. Take care, Cynthia

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Sorry you have to join us, but hope we can provide you with some support as you go through this journey.  Sounds like you may have some interesting things to share with us, so keep us posted...we'll be interested to hear what you discover.  We have other members here who are taking an "out of the box" approach to their treatment, and it's very interesting to see some of the different things people choose to try.  Ann Alexandria

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member

Welcome Ren,  We have a few

Welcome Ren,  We have a few Australians on here, Peter, Ron, and others, I'm sure they'll chime in with a hello soon.  Pete has been having success with his alternative treatments, so you and he may be able to compare notes.  Wishing you well on this journey. Take care, Cynthia

Hi Ren

The person Cynthia refers to, Pete, has a blog here  http://csn.cancer.org/user/134174/blog which will also lead you to a more extensive posting off site.

He has been doing some out of the box stuff in Germany and currently has good results.

Wishing you good results from whatever you try.

Marie who loves kitties

• karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Good luck on your choices,I

Good luck on your choices,I hope they help you.For my liver tumor I just did avastin,with the 5fu cocktail,and it worked great.I hope everything goes well for you.

• renw

Hi Ren

The person Cynthia refers to, Pete, has a blog here  http://csn.cancer.org/user/134174/blog which will also lead you to a more extensive posting off site.

He has been doing some out of the box stuff in Germany and currently has good results.

Wishing you good results from whatever you try.

Marie who loves kitties

I have been in touch with

I have been in touch with Pete for a while now. His story is quite inspirational. Hope more of us can repeat his success.

• renw
    karguy said:

Good luck on your choices,I

Good luck on your choices,I hope they help you.For my liver tumor I just did avastin,with the 5fu cocktail,and it worked great.I hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks, unfortunatelly

Thanks, unfortunatelly avastin and 5fu has not worked for me. I am looking into SIRTEX microspheres now. Anyone have any experience with this treatment?

• Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    renw said:

Thanks, unfortunatelly

Thanks, unfortunatelly avastin and 5fu has not worked for me. I am looking into SIRTEX microspheres now. Anyone have any experience with this treatment?

I too am looking into this
    I too am looking into this for my husband. Meet with an aggressive liver surgeon next week who has had some success with SIRT.

Chelsea
  • Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    renw said:

Thanks, unfortunatelly

Suzanne Lindley

Suzanne Lindley of YES! Beat Liver Tumors www.beatlivertumors.org had great success with SIRTEX microspheres - complete response. She started a foundation to inform others about liver targeted therapy. My daughter had Theraspheres in May and June of 2012. Her CEA, >6,800 at its highest, is now 10 and she is doing great. She will have her first PET scan this week to see where she truly stands and what we need to do now. There are several liver target therapies available - HAI pump, Y90 spheres, chemoembolization, etc. Best wishes to all of you pursuing liver targeted therapy.

Sandy

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    renw said:

Thanks, unfortunatelly

If you put this question into a new thread..

you will probably get a few more responses.  I think there are others here on the board who have had this done.  AA