Did you know Hemerrhoids has two rr's and not two mm's and now that we've broken the ice on this lov

Helen321
Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member

I love telling the world I have hemerrhoids since I've had my kids.  And better is having to say that the radiation obliterated them and now I can't sit or go to the bathroom without cringing.  Does anyone have any solution to healing this situation faster?  We're already tried lidocaine, Hydrocortisone suppositories, hydrocortisone creams, even oxycodone doesn't work (although I did get a lot of sleep when I took it).  I'm putting on the aquaphor habitually. All have been useless.  Tonight I read vitamin E might help so I'm going to try that.  Weight loss is also supposed to help so despite being told that I shouldn't lose weight because of the upcoming surgery, I'm going to try to lose weight in the next few weeks. 

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    hemorrhoids

Spell it: Hemorrhoids  (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Hemmeroids)

I have been frequently called one, but I'm easier to get rid of.

A visit to a decent colorectal surgeon, and/or a Gastroenterologist  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroenterology) can fix
    the problem quickly; creams, lotions, etc., won't do you well.

If the hemmeroid is external, the gastro doc can fix it in the office,
    if it's internal, you'll need the surgeon. But you should have a scope
    (colonoscopy) to make sure it's only hemmeroids........

Best wishes for the best outcome!

John

• PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    roid rage

My gastro says my roids are awful.  I know he's right.  I've had constipation concerns since childhood.  

Anyhow, on another forum I saw a post where a woman heard a commercial for a product used by homosexual men for anal pain. She went to an adult store and bought some. She said it stopped the spasms, pain, burning, etc. immediately.  I believe she said it was called Anal Blu   

I just checked the thread and someone said it's on Amazon for under $6.00 a tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Anal-Blu-1-5oz-Lubricant-Lube/dp/B00172R26U/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1356728594&sr=1-4&keywords=anal+blu

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    I had an anal fissure

so I KNOW your pain.  My surgeon gave me a Rx for an ointment compounded with Cardizem (yes, the heart medication) to be applied to the area, to minimize constriction.  It didn't help much, but it did help a little.  He had me alternate that with Nupercainal Creme.

Unfortunately, the fissure wouldn't heal until I was done with chemo.  That meant months where even thinking about going to the bathroom made me cringe.  I hope you get your 'sit'uation under control more quickly.

• Minnesotagirl
    Minnesotagirl Member Posts: 141
    Oh the pain...

Helen,

Your story sounds identical to mine...very painful!!!  I tried everything also and then a nurse suggested Desitin baby ointment with zinc ( do not use if you are currently doing radiation ). It helped me tremendously. Also, I started juicing using organic carrots, apple, ginger and some sort of green (usually spinach or parsley). That seemed to heal me from the inside out. Hang in there ... I used to put a washcloth in my mouth and scream in the bathrooms because it was so painful...ugg... I hope you have some relief.

"Minnesotagirl"

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    you poor dear

some serious butt pain comes with illness, its added for free. its in the very fine print but somehow my onc and surgeon forgot to mention one of the highlights of my cancer so far.

lots of great suggestions for you here from others. i hope they help.

i tried getting a towel, biting on it, then screaming loudly into it, seemed to work as good as all the pills, creams and potions. this kind nurse suggested the towel trick, it helped me,  hopefully you dont need it.

during this painful journey, i took a real life journey to my friends farm, it was late one starry night, the cows were mooing close by, soon they were running scared as i was using the outside loo and the towel technique.

i have been back to that farm, the cows stay away from me even two years later.

the moral, time heals all wounds except for cows. my pain is gone now, i hope yours is soon. it will get better for you i hope.

hugs,

pete

• Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    Try Calmoseptine

It worked wonders for my daughter. You can get it at Walgreen's, I believe. CVS might have it. It's greasy - don't use anything greasy while getting radiation unless you can completely wash it off prior to the treatment.

Sandy

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Pain

Since mine was a rectal tumor the pain was terrible from sitting and I'd only be able to sit on one cheek.  My doctor gave me a prescription called proctofoam and it has cortizone or something in it to numb the area.  It is a foam you insert up the rectum and it is used for hemrrhoids. It really really helped but it is very expensive.  Think about $120 if you don't have insurance but was worth it for me.  After radiation I'd cry going to the bathroom it hurt so bad.  You should have a flex sig done if it's not external because you should make sure that there is nothing more going on.  Hope you can get some relief.

Kim

• dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Did you try Neosporin...
    If

Did you try Neosporin...

If it is the radiation burn causing the issue this helped me the most...

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member

you poor dear

some serious butt pain comes with illness, its added for free. its in the very fine print but somehow my onc and surgeon forgot to mention one of the highlights of my cancer so far.

i tried getting a towel, biting on it, then screaming loudly into it, seemed to work as good as all the pills, creams and potions. this kind nurse suggested the towel trick, it helped me,  hopefully you dont need it.

during this painful journey, i took a real life journey to my friends farm, it was late one starry night, the cows were mooing close by, soon they were running scared as i was using the outside loo and the towel technique.

the moral, time heals all wounds except for cows. my pain is gone now, i hope yours is soon. it will get better for you i hope.

hugs,

pete

Too funny Pete!

LOL

• pete43lost_at_sea
    traci43 said:

Too funny Pete!

LOL

thanks traci43

noone else would appreciate or believe the story.

the fact its true and shared makes a smile, oh and forcing the smile during the toughest craps, well that works as well as the towel. hitech medicine possibly from the time of christ and earlier.

hugs,

pete

• Helen321
    John23 said:

hemorrhoids

Spell it: Hemorrhoids  (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Hemmeroids)

I have been frequently called one, but I'm easier to get rid of.

A visit to a decent colorectal surgeon, and/or a Gastroenterologist  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroenterology) can fix
    the problem quickly; creams, lotions, etc., won't do you well.

If the hemmeroid is external, the gastro doc can fix it in the office,
    if it's internal, you'll need the surgeon. But you should have a scope
    (colonoscopy) to make sure it's only hemmeroids........

Best wishes for the best outcome!

John

Thanks, I have both. 

Thanks, I have both.  Confirmed that that's what it is but the solutions being offered are not working.  I'll call Monday, I'm not sure what you mean by fix it.  But surgical suggests removal so I'm going to ask if that's an option.  Aren't they swollen veins?  I wouldn't have thought about removal.

• Helen321

roid rage

My gastro says my roids are awful.  I know he's right.  I've had constipation concerns since childhood.  

Anyhow, on another forum I saw a post where a woman heard a commercial for a product used by homosexual men for anal pain. She went to an adult store and bought some. She said it stopped the spasms, pain, burning, etc. immediately.  I believe she said it was called Anal Blu   

I just checked the thread and someone said it's on Amazon for under $6.00 a tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Anal-Blu-1-5oz-Lubricant-Lube/dp/B00172R26U/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1356728594&sr=1-4&keywords=anal+blu

You rock!  This pain is out

You rock!  This pain is out of control.  Lidocaine does nothing at all.

• Helen321

Oh the pain...

Helen,

Your story sounds identical to mine...very painful!!!  I tried everything also and then a nurse suggested Desitin baby ointment with zinc ( do not use if you are currently doing radiation ). It helped me tremendously. Also, I started juicing using organic carrots, apple, ginger and some sort of green (usually spinach or parsley). That seemed to heal me from the inside out. Hang in there ... I used to put a washcloth in my mouth and scream in the bathrooms because it was so painful...ugg... I hope you have some relief.

"Minnesotagirl"

I tired Desitin, it worked

I tired Desitin, it worked for a few days and then it got bad again.  Maybe I should try again. I'm very familiar with the screaming.  It's good that you healed which means this is not permanent.  It feels so permanent at the moment.  It's not healing at all!  Gets better and then right back to worse.  Not constipated at all and the stinging is still out of control.

• Helen321

you poor dear

hugs,

pete

lol thanks Pete!  It doesn't

lol thanks Pete!  It doesn't feel like it's going to heal anytime soon.  It starts to and then right back to it.  I've been biting a washcloth and screaming into it for three weeks now but that isn't doing much and unfortunately, the radiation makes me go often so it's 6-10 times a day of cringing and screaming.  I just don't know what else to do at this point but keep screaming and talking to myself. 

• Helen321
    Varmint5 said:

Try Calmoseptine

It worked wonders for my daughter. You can get it at Walgreen's, I believe. CVS might have it. It's greasy - don't use anything greasy while getting radiation unless you can completely wash it off prior to the treatment.

Sandy

Done with radiation so I'm

Done with radiation so I'm going to Walgreen's tomorrow.  At this point I'm trying every suggestion.  This is pure torture.  Everything they're given me is greasy.  I'm an official greaseball.  Thanks Sandy!

• Helen321

Pain

Since mine was a rectal tumor the pain was terrible from sitting and I'd only be able to sit on one cheek.  My doctor gave me a prescription called proctofoam and it has cortizone or something in it to numb the area.  It is a foam you insert up the rectum and it is used for hemrrhoids. It really really helped but it is very expensive.  Think about $120 if you don't have insurance but was worth it for me.  After radiation I'd cry going to the bathroom it hurt so bad.  You should have a flex sig done if it's not external because you should make sure that there is nothing more going on.  Hope you can get some relief.

Kim

Docs both say it's

Docs both say it's hemerrhoids although neither of them looked.  Both internal and external.  Surgeon argues that I have to go for an exam third week in January so we should just wait until then and that schedule is full.  Says that exam will just irritate the situation.  I'm going to call Monday to ask about all of these things since I have very good insurance.  So far nothing is helping at all even lidocaine and oxycodone aren't helping. 

• Helen321
    dmj101 said:

Did you try Neosporin...
    If

Did you try Neosporin...

If it is the radiation burn causing the issue this helped me the most...

Burn part has passed.  I used

Burn part has passed.  I used a burn cream.  Thought it would get better after that and then this happened.  It's gotten really bad at this point. Even more in the last three days than before.

• pete43lost_at_sea
    Helen321 said:

lol thanks Pete!  It doesn't

lol thanks Pete!  It doesn't feel like it's going to heal anytime soon.  It starts to and then right back to it.  I've been biting a washcloth and screaming into it for three weeks now but that isn't doing much and unfortunately, the radiation makes me go often so it's 6-10 times a day of cringing and screaming.  I just don't know what else to do at this point but keep screaming and talking to myself. 

dear helen

well many of us have been through something close to what your experiencing. i am glad you using the washcloth and not your finger. else you'd need surgery for the finger.

its just a **** spot your in, somehow i got through my ordeal, somehow you will get through yours. ask your doctors, nurses, us etc etc, try and get help where ever you can, even praying.

maybe try a nice towel, that you can bury your face in, thats soft and comfortable, that blacks out all light to your eyes. My pain was during winter so I had a really nice scarf i used to use when out and about. I wonder what other people in the public toilets must have thought, now looking back. at the time i did not worry at all.

smile helen, your alive and alas pain is a part of our illness, i wiah it were not so. but your experience is so similar to mine and others.

if its some consolation, the burning **** and radiation phase was one of the most challenging. time dimms our painful memories, thank god.

I used to look myself in the eye, after the pain had passed and think god i am tough. my kids found the whole situation most entertaining in a morbid kind of way.

i used to use the kids potty and do the old yoga squat. given the pain associated with each passing, ensuring a full evacuation was a high priority. the other secret, was really holding the craps till the last moment. again the strategy was to ensure as full a motion as possible, so building up the pressure made sense to me, also defering the inevitable pain was nice. also when the pain comes i think i used a few implicit meditation techniques like being calm about the pain and then observing it while screaming. it makes sense to me, it may make sense to you.

look up the posts on meditation and pain relief, it helped me to some extent.

it got better for me soon, not soon enough. i hope it does for you as well. in the meantime try any and everything to get relief. its sad but this is the real nature of the challenge of surviving crc, you are more than a match for this pathetic illness. you are an inspiration. we all really care about you. smile!

hugs,

Pete

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Helen321 said:

Thanks, I have both. 

Thanks, I have both.  Confirmed that that's what it is but the solutions being offered are not working.  I'll call Monday, I'm not sure what you mean by fix it.  But surgical suggests removal so I'm going to ask if that's an option.  Aren't they swollen veins?  I wouldn't have thought about removal.

Ouch. I only hurts when I laugh sitting down?

They have a technique where they put "rubber band" type devices on
    the bulging veins to shrink them into oblivion; fairly painless, the wife says!

She said that I had it backwards (?), that the gastro doc fixes the
    ones inside, and the surgeon fixes the ones outside. She had hers
    done by the gastro doc, right at the doc's office. The ones outside
    remain and one of these days she'll have a surgeon fix them, but
    the major problem was fixed by the Gastro doc.

I don't have 'em; according to the wife, I just represent them.
    (John23: aka "Mr. Hemorroid")

Sit in the punch bowl ! It's the holidays, everyone does it!

My best wishes,

John

• dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Helen321 said:

Burn part has passed.  I used

Burn part has passed.  I used a burn cream.  Thought it would get better after that and then this happened.  It's gotten really bad at this point. Even more in the last three days than before.

but remember you are

but remember you are ratdiated inside as well... Ask you drs what they suggest.. then ask their nurses...

I can't use that calmo....somthing.. the camphor in it bothers me and then then dr gave me this stuff with silver in it .. it made it worse.. Neosporin was the only thing that helped me..

I hope you find some relief soon,..

Also pick up a donut pillow..