Wondering how people are coping with muscle deterioration after radiation.

cjk22
cjk22 Member Posts: 11

I am new to this site. I posted a question to people with muscle deterioration about a month ago on here. How are you coping? How do you manage everyday life? I had to quit working about a year ago. I am waiting for hearing with the judge for disability. I don't know if anyone answered. How do I find out if they answered? Do I get a direct e-mail or do I check somewhere on this site for responses?

Comments

• dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Effects
    What kind of problems have you had, and where? I had radiation to my left armpit and I will admit I am still having pain that I am now beginning to think is going to be a permanent problem. The whole area feels very tight and it does hurt to stretch out. I have fibromyalgia and stretching is very important to me as it does help with the FM. One of my major complaints before treatment was pain in my arm when stretching, and it did go away during the treatments, but unfortunately is back now.

My radiation onc says it's just a side effect of radiation and he's not concerned with that. I don't know if this is something that can be helped or not. I'll ask more questions when I see him next in January.

I hope you get answers to your question too. I don't know where you had the rads to compare stories.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Heathy New Year!!

Beth
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Muscle deteriation from RADS

This could happen years after radiation treatment.  It is called Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome.  Iwas dx'd with this 22 years after mantle radiation for Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Look on Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center's website.  There you will find Dr Stubblefield's videos explaining the syndrome and treatment options.  Other patients have experimented with yoga, water theraphy, pilates, deep tissue massage (with a knowledgeable therapist) in addition to or instead of Dr S's recommendations.  I know that they offer Botox injections for extreme RFS. 

Hope you can find relief and get some answers soon regarding your application.

Cathy

• Finding old messages

Try the search function using the name you posted the comment under.