Insufficiency fractures of the sacrum after radiation

2»

Comments

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Teresa 61 said:

fractured pelvic bones
    I rarely post but thought this would be a good subject for me to comment on. I was diagnosed with stage 2A, grade 3 endometrial uterine cancer Dec 2008.I had 3 chemos, 25 radiations, 1 36 hr internal radiation, then 2 more chemos,My treatments ended June 2009.
    One month after treatments ended my back started hurting really bad and I could hardly walk upstairs. I had to lift my legs up with my hands to get clothing on or to even get in a car., by Sept. of 2009 the pain was worse and I could barely walk. My doctor gave me Hydro codene and ibuprophen 800 . I took them together and they eased the pain. Slowly but surely after about a year I was almost back to normal. When I get tired my back burns really bad, my stomach stays swollen and always feels uncomfortable. I had a pet scan in 2010... the doctor asked me if I had fractured my pelvic bones in a car accident.. I've never been in any accident.The only thing that could have caused my fractured pelvic bones was chemo and or radiation. Hope this info helps someone...Teresa

Teresa it is good to hear from you
    I have been wondering how you have been. We went through treatment about the same time. We both had the sandwich treatment. We both had the looong internal radiation. Mine was 28 hours. Then I followed the radiation with 3 more chemo treatments.

I remember you taking care of your daughter, and wondered how you managed. I am glad your back pain went away. I am so happy your cancer stayed away, too. Is that your daughter and a granddaughter in your picture? You look great.

Hope you continue to do well. Hope you keep us posted from time to time.. In peace and caring.
  • Test111
    Test111 Member Posts: 21
    Teresa 61 said:

scan
    pretty sure it was a ct pet scan, my obgyn ordered the scan as part of my post cancer check up in 2010 and noticed the fracures to my pelvic bones.I know how bad you are feeling but there is hope. Took along time, but I'am pretty much back to normal and do all my own shopping and housekeeping,plus I have a 38 year old daughter , she's in my picture, that Is totally handicapped from a brain injury and I'am her care giver. In the begining I took 1 hydrocodene and 1 ibuprophen800 as soon as I woke up and had to wait for it to work on me before I could move. After a few months I just took the ibuprophen800. I no longer take either medication. Teresa

Fractures
    Teresa, thanks again for the info. How long did it take to recover from the fractures, drive and run errands? Did you need to use crutches or a walker? Did you have pain when sitting? My pain is in the groin area and hips and worse when sitting. Again, good to hear you are doing well at this time. Are you pain free in regard to the fractures? Thank you.
  • Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

scan
    pretty sure it was a ct pet scan, my obgyn ordered the scan as part of my post cancer check up in 2010 and noticed the fracures to my pelvic bones.I know how bad you are feeling but there is hope. Took along time, but I'am pretty much back to normal and do all my own shopping and housekeeping,plus I have a 38 year old daughter , she's in my picture, that Is totally handicapped from a brain injury and I'am her care giver. In the begining I took 1 hydrocodene and 1 ibuprophen800 as soon as I woke up and had to wait for it to work on me before I could move. After a few months I just took the ibuprophen800. I no longer take either medication. Teresa

Fractures
    Teresa, thanks again for the info. How long did it take to recover from the fractures, drive and run errands? Did you need to use crutches or a walker? Did you have pain when sitting? My pain is in the groin area and hips and worse when sitting. Again, good to hear you are doing well at this time. Are you pain free in regard to the fractures? Thank you.
  • Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

scan

Fractures
  • Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

scan

Fractures
  • Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

scan

Fractures
  • Teresa 61
    Teresa 61 Member Posts: 84 Member
    Test111 said:

Fractures

Fractures
    My pain was in my hips and groin also, it hurt when I walked, hurt at night in bed, could not roll over, pain would wake me up at night, can't remember if it hurt when I was sitting. Took about a year to feel okay without meds.
  • Teresa 61
    Teresa 61 Member Posts: 84 Member
    Ro10 said:

Teresa it is good to hear from you
    I have been wondering how you have been. We went through treatment about the same time. We both had the sandwich treatment. We both had the looong internal radiation. Mine was 28 hours. Then I followed the radiation with 3 more chemo treatments.

I remember you taking care of your daughter, and wondered how you managed. I am glad your back pain went away. I am so happy your cancer stayed away, too. Is that your daughter and a granddaughter in your picture? You look great.

Hope you continue to do well. Hope you keep us posted from time to time.. In peace and caring.

Hi Ro
    I read posts quite often so I know whats happening with everyone, I just have a hard time writing down what I'am thinking. Lot's of brain fog, either from the treatments or age, not sure which one...LOL. I've read about all your cruises, sounds wonderful. Yes the picture is of my daughter Julie, me and my grandaughter Bryce.(my sons daughter)
    My heart broke when I read about the sisters we lost. I think of Linda all the time... take care Ro.....Teresa
  • Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

Fractures
    My pain was in my hips and groin also, it hurt when I walked, hurt at night in bed, could not roll over, pain would wake me up at night, can't remember if it hurt when I was sitting. Took about a year to feel okay without meds.

Fractures
    Teresa,

Thanks so much for sharing your story with me. I fear recovery will never happen for me and the fractures will continue. It is good to hear from survivors who healed. Please continue to post.
  • Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

Fractures

Fractures
    Teresa,

Did you have a bone density test? Do you have osteoporosis or are your bones in good shape...wondering if the radiation thinned your bones and mine. I am scheduling a scan. Thanks.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    ConnieSW said:

I googled this but didn't
    I googled this but didn't find what I read very helpful.

???
    Could it be calcium growth? Hubbie had this after younger years with a few knee surgeries. Eventually it had some calcium growth on sides of knee which looked like the bone....affected his movement and in the end, had knee replacement.

Could this be part of the growth?

Jan
  • Sara Zipora
    Sara Zipora Member Posts: 231
    sunflash said:

Sara,
    Praying for you as

Sara,
    Praying for you as well. Praying for peace and safety for you and your entire family. I can't even imagine having to deal with all of this stress and trauma while undergoing treatment. Praying for God's peace and guidance for Israel.

Thanks to all always

Yup, got Sacral and pelvic stress fractures. most probably from rads.

As always y'all demonstrate such a wellspring of generosity of spirit! We are all in some 'boat' or other fighting so many of life's curve balls and yet you guys always find time and space to touch others. Thanks! Sara

• Test111
    Teresa 61 said:

scan

Bone density test...Teresa

Teresa,

Have you had a bone density scan?  Did the radiation weaken your bones?  Do you have osteoporosis?  Thanks.