Dad has Stage IV Lung Cancer

JackieP125
JackieP125 Member Posts: 56
I am from the Kidney Cancer discussion board as I am 11 months post-op for Stage I RCC. However, 4 weeks ago my Dad was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer, spread to liver and brain. He has since had 5 radiation treatments for the brain tumor. He is being treated at the Duke Cancer Center. Most days he refused to eat or drink. He now weighs 106 lbs. I just wish there was something I could do for him. He is very depressed and wants to die. He don't seem to have any fight left in him. Is this normal for Stage IV? Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how I cope with this. I am devastated!!!

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Hi Jackie,Are they giving
    Hi Jackie,
    Are they giving him anything for depression or anxiety? I suspect that he comes from a generation that assumes lung cancer is an automatic death sentence. The brain mets and radiation magnify the depression and anxiety. Your success is not translating for him especially given that he is stage four. It will not be easy but you need to help him see that there are patients who have survived ten and twenty years or longer. There is one man over on Inspire.com who has survived going on 14 yrs now. His was first dx'd because of brain mets and he had successfully survived a second round of brain mets with terrific quality of life.

Ask his docs for Marinol or one of the other appetite stimulants. He would benefit tremendously from meeting other survivors. Most hospitals have survivor group meetings if not, look for a Gilda's Club or Cancer Support Center.
  • JackieP125
    JackieP125 Member Posts: 56
    dennycee said:

Hi Jackie,Are they giving
    Hi Jackie,
    Are they giving him anything for depression or anxiety? I suspect that he comes from a generation that assumes lung cancer is an automatic death sentence. The brain mets and radiation magnify the depression and anxiety. Your success is not translating for him especially given that he is stage four. It will not be easy but you need to help him see that there are patients who have survived ten and twenty years or longer. There is one man over on Inspire.com who has survived going on 14 yrs now. His was first dx'd because of brain mets and he had successfully survived a second round of brain mets with terrific quality of life.

Ask his docs for Marinol or one of the other appetite stimulants. He would benefit tremendously from meeting other survivors. Most hospitals have survivor group meetings if not, look for a Gilda's Club or Cancer Support Center.

Support Group
    Thank you so much dennycee. I will ask his doctor about these meds and the support group.