cervical cancer, radiation question

Hi everyone. A fried of mine has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I don't know the details and when I ask her, she starts to cry or changes the subject. What I do know is she's had a history of abnormal paps going back 3 years or so..., they have removed some tissue (removing chunks is how she's put it, sorry) and now she is going for radiation.. they had originally suggested a total hysterectomy but she said they think the radiation will take care of it. She goes once a week for 7 wks.. is what she told me.. but she might be holding back because she seems to be in denial and maybe doesn't want to upset me... so my questions are, does this sound like the norm as far as treatment, and other than fatigue what other SE will she experience and how can I help her..
Thank you,

Comments

• grievinghusband
    grievinghusband Member Posts: 6
    cervical cancer
    My wife passed earlier this year from cc. Concerning your friend, it depends on how far the cancer has spread and what stage she is at. I've never heard of going straight to radiation without chemo or surgery. She should absolutely get a second opinion. If she opts for a hysterectomy, she should know the side effects. It is obviously major surgery, and she should ask how many lymph nodes they plan to remove, because the more they remove, the worse the lymphadema (severa swelling of legs and feet because of the absence of the lymph nodes).
  • grievinghusband
    grievinghusband Member Posts: 6
    cervical cancer
    My wife passed earlier this year from cc. Concerning your friend, it depends on how far the cancer has spread and what stage she is at. I've never heard of going straight to radiation without chemo or surgery. She should absolutely get a second opinion. If she opts for a hysterectomy, she should know the side effects. It is obviously major surgery, and she should ask how many lymph nodes they plan to remove, because the more they remove, the worse the lymphadema (severe swelling of legs and feet because of the absence of the lymph nodes).
  • pappenstance
    pappenstance Member Posts: 1
    Radiation
    Hey Cindy,

I think everyone's different, depending on the stage and whether lymph nodes are involved. I had 5 weeks of daily radiation combined with once weekly chemo, plus 4 rounds of internal radiation; a total hysterectomy in my case wasn't recommended, nor was lymph node removal (I did have very small lymph node involvement, but they hoped to "get ahead of it" with radiation). I agree, second opinions are key.

It sounds like you're doing the best you can for your friend. Without knowing the stage she's in and just based on my radiation treatment, I can suggest that she'll likely get more tired as the radiation goes on (the side effects are cumulative). Her dietary needs will change as the radiation will more than likely affect nearby organs like her colon and intestines. She may need a bland diet toward the final weeks of treatment (no caffeine, no acidic foods / beverages). Lastly (and what I'm noticing now, two months out of treatment), she may be fatigued for some time once treatment is over. Hope this helps! Your friend is lucky to have you there for her!