What is safest treatment for 80 year old?

angec
angec Member Posts: 924 Member
Any 80 year olds on any of the treatment for RCC? Just wondering what is more tolerable. I know everyone reacts differently but am wondering if there are any experiences out there...

Comments

• Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    Have you thought of asking on KIDNEY-ONC? 2 reasons for doing so. First, the incredible level of knowledge over there (and it seems to be rising to ever greater heights recently). Secondly, the profile of patients there is of somewhat direr states of illness and a wider spectrum. There are a lot of older members and carers, like yourself, for older relatives so you may very well get helpful answers over there.

I Am Alive to the possibility of finding you're a member there and I should have recognised you - it could happen and I guess I can take it if it has :)
  • angec

Have you thought of asking on KIDNEY-ONC? 2 reasons for doing so. First, the incredible level of knowledge over there (and it seems to be rising to ever greater heights recently). Secondly, the profile of patients there is of somewhat direr states of illness and a wider spectrum. There are a lot of older members and carers, like yourself, for older relatives so you may very well get helpful answers over there.

I Am Alive to the possibility of finding you're a member there and I should have recognised you - it could happen and I guess I can take it if it has :)

TW
    Thank you my friend. I am not on that site because I have not been able to find it properly. Do I just type in kidney onc? I will try it again! Hope you are well! Did you get your pet scan yet?
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    angec said:

TW
    Thank you my friend. I am not on that site because I have not been able to find it properly. Do I just type in kidney onc? I will try it again! Hope you are well! Did you get your pet scan yet?

KIDNEY-ONC
    Try this way in and let us know if you have a problem. I've been in so long now I tend to forget the best route so if other members here who've joined more recently can suggest better ways, please do so

http://cancerguide.org/kofaq/

No, not had my new scan yet. Good luck with getting more info to help your Mom.
  • Max Power
    Max Power Member Posts: 60
    IL-2 probably not an option.
    I was told that if I were 80, IL-2 would probably not be an option as I would probably not pass the stress test. Especially if I had a lot of symptoms. Your results may vary.

I would think the clinical trials for the treatments with minimal side-effects would be in order. Barring that, Votrient would be my guess.
    Max
  • angec
    Max Power said:

IL-2 probably not an option.
    I was told that if I were 80, IL-2 would probably not be an option as I would probably not pass the stress test. Especially if I had a lot of symptoms. Your results may vary.

I would think the clinical trials for the treatments with minimal side-effects would be in order. Barring that, Votrient would be my guess.
    Max

Thanks Max. I was looking
    Thanks Max. I was looking at Votrient also. I was hoping the doctor himself would be able to tell me what would be better. But i hate to say i think he is more worried about what incentives he will get for pushing sutent! I am trying to get my mom to go to Sloans, the major cancer hospital here in NY. She does not want to travel so far. Working on it though. Hope you are doing ok. Hugs!!
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    angec said:

Thanks Max. I was looking
    Thanks Max. I was looking at Votrient also. I was hoping the doctor himself would be able to tell me what would be better. But i hate to say i think he is more worried about what incentives he will get for pushing sutent! I am trying to get my mom to go to Sloans, the major cancer hospital here in NY. She does not want to travel so far. Working on it though. Hope you are doing ok. Hugs!!

safe? hell, just go for it
    A common theme here is to do everything possible to extend ones life. Living that extra month or two may be just whats needed to be here long enough to benefit from the next big thing. Remember, I was given little hope to make it beyond March 2012. But persistence has paid off. My first 3 oncologist said they couldn't help me and wished me good luck. My 4th doctor has saved my life. No one else even mentioned MDX-1106, and I hadn't been aware of it. Fortunately my current Doctor still had an opening in the clinical trial and I qualified. LIFE is GOOD! I bet there is a mother goose or brothers Grimm story or fable that covers that plan.
  • angec
    foxhd said:

safe? hell, just go for it
    A common theme here is to do everything possible to extend ones life. Living that extra month or two may be just whats needed to be here long enough to benefit from the next big thing. Remember, I was given little hope to make it beyond March 2012. But persistence has paid off. My first 3 oncologist said they couldn't help me and wished me good luck. My 4th doctor has saved my life. No one else even mentioned MDX-1106, and I hadn't been aware of it. Fortunately my current Doctor still had an opening in the clinical trial and I qualified. LIFE is GOOD! I bet there is a mother goose or brothers Grimm story or fable that covers that plan.

Fox mom's doctor didn't even
    Fox mom's doctor didn't even know about MDX.. kind of depressing. But i know what you are saying... mom is afraid to take anything because of her age and heart/diabetic/pressure etc. You made me laugh about the brothers Grimm... i think i did see an episode that covered that plan! ;)