Investigatory modalities

2»

Comments

• DMike
    DMike Member Posts: 259

Kind thoughts
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes - what this forum is all about!

Good discussion today and my Wife and I left relieved that it went exactly as we expected and better than some of the apprehensions at the backs of our minds! Scarring at base of lungs is of unknowable origin, trivial and can be safely ignored. Lymphadenopathy needs to be monitored and so I'm being scheduled for a CT/PET scan, or just a PET scan, as a matter of urgency. (I didn't mention the advice I've received on forums, but the plan accords with what Jeff had suggested and also Susan Poteat and Gautam Sakya on ACOR).

If anything more appears on the next scan, we'll re-appraise the strategy, otherwise we'll proceed at once with a third open surgery to remove the encapsulated fluid accumulation. That will be the third tumour removal in less than a year so I'm thinking of asking for a de-bulk discount :)

I might get the next carve-up on my 70th birthday but I'm still fit and strong enough that the op should be a cinch and I expect to bounce back rapidly. I'm playing golf early tomorrow and told I should continue rowing, weight-lifting etc and keep in good shape. The tumour is becoming a bit uncomfortable but I'm happy that I won't be needing any adjuvant therapy for the foreseeable future, so can keep my immune system up to scratch.

We learnt a little more today. It's known that Chromophobe is reluctant to metastasise but I'd believed that sarcomatoid de-differentiation was a game-changer and all bets would be off on metastasis. However, I'm told that sarcomatous manifestation, in common with actual sarcomas, entails a disinclination for the crab to get around - it tends to stick to base with local, rather than distant recurrences. It will tend to move sideways rather than swim away in the bloodstream or the lymph system.

[Gary, I've always feared I'm abnormal and I guess it's unusual for a bat to be attacked by a crab, isn't it? Also makes me wonder about having a PET scan!]

Plan
    Tex,
    I'm very happy to see you have a plan in place. I wish you the best!

Also, thank you for the new (to me anyway) information on sarcomatoid de-differentiation and metastasis. That is very interesting to me. It would be good to add that to the sarcomatoid thread.
    --David
  • Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476

Kind thoughts

Good discussion today and my Wife and I left relieved that it went exactly as we expected and better than some of the apprehensions at the backs of our minds! Scarring at base of lungs is of unknowable origin, trivial and can be safely ignored. Lymphadenopathy needs to be monitored and so I'm being scheduled for a CT/PET scan, or just a PET scan, as a matter of urgency. (I didn't mention the advice I've received on forums, but the plan accords with what Jeff had suggested and also Susan Poteat and Gautam Sakya on ACOR).

If anything more appears on the next scan, we'll re-appraise the strategy, otherwise we'll proceed at once with a third open surgery to remove the encapsulated fluid accumulation. That will be the third tumour removal in less than a year so I'm thinking of asking for a de-bulk discount :)

I might get the next carve-up on my 70th birthday but I'm still fit and strong enough that the op should be a cinch and I expect to bounce back rapidly. I'm playing golf early tomorrow and told I should continue rowing, weight-lifting etc and keep in good shape. The tumour is becoming a bit uncomfortable but I'm happy that I won't be needing any adjuvant therapy for the foreseeable future, so can keep my immune system up to scratch.

We learnt a little more today. It's known that Chromophobe is reluctant to metastasise but I'd believed that sarcomatoid de-differentiation was a game-changer and all bets would be off on metastasis. However, I'm told that sarcomatous manifestation, in common with actual sarcomas, entails a disinclination for the crab to get around - it tends to stick to base with local, rather than distant recurrences. It will tend to move sideways rather than swim away in the bloodstream or the lymph system.

[Gary, I've always feared I'm abnormal and I guess it's unusual for a bat to be attacked by a crab, isn't it? Also makes me wonder about having a PET scan!]

Not that i said it
    i have been promoting PET scans for a little while ,sometimes i get the feeling my opinions are overlooked,anyways good luck Tex
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

Kind thoughts

Abnormal???
    TW,

While you may very well be considered as abnormal by most of the "normal" world, you fit right in here and we are far richer for your presence. I dare say your postings rank at or near the top of everyone's favorites, old-timers and newbies alike. What a great excuse you now have for feeling a little "crabby" once in a while, there are days when that will come in handy I should think.

I have used the analogy of Christmas and surgery many times over, and I think it works just as well for birthdays, this may be the greatest gift you ever receive. I pray that it is the last time you are carved upon and that on you 90th you are still golfing, rowing, and continuing to bless this site with your insight, research, and wit.

Godspeed my friend,

Gary
  • angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member
    adman said:
    Thanks Adman
    Will be looking at that site today....
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    garym said:

Abnormal???
    TW,

While you may very well be considered as abnormal by most of the "normal" world, you fit right in here and we are far richer for your presence. I dare say your postings rank at or near the top of everyone's favorites, old-timers and newbies alike. What a great excuse you now have for feeling a little "crabby" once in a while, there are days when that will come in handy I should think.

I have used the analogy of Christmas and surgery many times over, and I think it works just as well for birthdays, this may be the greatest gift you ever receive. I pray that it is the last time you are carved upon and that on you 90th you are still golfing, rowing, and continuing to bless this site with your insight, research, and wit.

Godspeed my friend,

Gary

Abnormal?
    Such a nice bloke, that Gary! ;-)
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798

Not that i said it
    i have been promoting PET scans for a little while ,sometimes i get the feeling my opinions are overlooked,anyways good luck Tex

PET scans
    True, Mike, and I think we also shouldn't overlook what an icon Fox is for PET scans (and CT and MDX-1106 and exercise and junk food and Harleys and ATTITUDE and ... )
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    garym said:

Abnormal???
    TW,

Godspeed my friend,

Gary

Well said Gary
    Well said Gary. Let me piggyback your words.
  • ClaraW
    ClaraW Member Posts: 64

PET scans
    True, Mike, and I think we also shouldn't overlook what an icon Fox is for PET scans (and CT and MDX-1106 and exercise and junk food and Harleys and ATTITUDE and ... )

best wishes
    TW, All the best with your scans and your upcoming surgical treatment. You're intelligent, well-learned, obliging and so selflessly helped so many including myself.
    I know we cannot thank you enough!
    If there is anything i could be of service, please let me know. Although my knowledge is very limited compared to yours, I still remember a thing or two regarding medicine and surgery from my school days.
    Kind Regards,
    Clara
  • ClaraW
    ClaraW Member Posts: 64
    alice124 said:

Well said Gary
    Well said Gary. Let me piggyback your words.

well said indeed
    Spot on! TW, I will be reading your posts and wishing you happy 99th!
    Best wishes. Hope your discomfort will resolve in no time.
  • Max Power
    Max Power Member Posts: 60

Kind thoughts

that's it!
    I had a dream the other night where I was gripped by a giant blue-crab claw - couldn't close the claw because there were rocks in the way.

I woke up thinking "What was that all about?" but now I realize I've read your other references to crab and that explains it. Case closed!