Delayed reaction

I am waking up at night crying, finally feeling the fact that it is cancer, and especially, just now, experiencing the awful pain and fear and weakness post-surgery. Somehow, I didn't then, as if I were half-conscious (maybe it was all the drugs?)

Just wondering if this is a typical thing. I am now in shock over what I went through.

Comments

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    The effect of learning you
    The effect of learning you have cancer has been compared to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I would wake up gasping for air from nightmares of this damn cancer! After my dr. told me it was cancer, I just sat there and kept saying"what, what"? That went on for months..the shock was just too much to wrap my mind around. What you are feeling is normal. Don't let yourself get depressed. Talk to your dr.(or better yet his nurse), get medicine if needed. Try to relax and breath. Hope you feel better soon. Best, Debrajo
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Oh, Turtle, I am so relieved
    Oh, Turtle, I am so relieved that you posted. I have been worried about you. Keep talking, I know people.here will help you come to grips with this. Are you taking anything to help you sleep? I am still using Ativan at bedtime. Are you eating ok?

Connie
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Duplicate
  • lovemycat
    lovemycat Member Posts: 43
    ConnieSW said:

Duplicate

worried about you
    Turtle praying for you. It is devastating news but we all are here for you if you need to talk. At first I used Benadryl to help me relax so I could rest now I use Ambien. You might talk to your Doctor to see if there is something safe for you. Please know we all care.
    Helen
  • seaturtle
    seaturtle Member Posts: 41
    lovemycat said:

worried about you
    Turtle praying for you. It is devastating news but we all are here for you if you need to talk. At first I used Benadryl to help me relax so I could rest now I use Ambien. You might talk to your Doctor to see if there is something safe for you. Please know we all care.
    Helen

Delayed Reaction
    Thanks, everyone.I still go into panic attacks just having flashbacks of the hospital, the pain, not being able to lift my head.

Yes, it does feel like PTSD, the same kind of sudden snapshots and emotions popping up that throw me into a state.

Now that they've found something else, I am numb about that.

The whole experience, from diagnosis to surgery to post-surgery recovery, leaves me with a new feeling of how vulnerable we are.

Everyone here helps so much, often just by your courage.