National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month

Beau2
Beau2 Member Posts: 261
With September 1 marking the beginning of National Prostate Awareness Month, I thought it would be a good idea to to remind those close to me to have their PSA checked. A baby blue ribbon on the garage door got the neighbors asking questions and led into asking, "Had your PSA check lately?".

Ask your neighbor, son, father, etc. the same question ... after all, September is the awarness month.

Comments

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Thanks for the post
    Also a Digital Rectal Exam. Have both on an annual basis.

As long as you are discussing preventive tests, don't forget to mention a colonoscopy, and an annual mamogram for the women in your life.
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

Thanks for the post
    Also a Digital Rectal Exam. Have both on an annual basis.

As long as you are discussing preventive tests, don't forget to mention a colonoscopy, and an annual mamogram for the women in your life.

Thanks for the post
    Screening at 40 should be turned into "law".

VG
  • califvader
    califvader Member Posts: 108
    awareness month
    excellent reminder
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member

awareness month
    excellent reminder

NFL and players renew commitment to prostate health
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821dde6b/article/nfl-and-players-renew-commitment-to-prostate-health

NFL and players renew commitment to prostate health

American Urological Association Foundation (AUAF) and the National Football League (NFL)
    take to the road for the third year to drive prostate health awareness across the nation

BALTIMORE, Md. -- With the kickoff of the pro football season and September marking National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, the American Urological Association (AUA) Foundation and the National Football League (NFL) have teamed up for a third year to educate men about prostate health and encourage them to join the "Know Your Stats" campaign. With the support of an increasing number of NFL greats and prostate cancer survivors, the national campaign is focused on turning awareness into action by encouraging men to know their risks and get tested.

Cancer survivor and Pro Football Hall of Fame member Mike Haynes is continuing his partnership with AUA Foundation to help save lives and drive the message of prostate health awareness on the local level with more than 500 participating hospitals across the nation.
    "As a cancer survivor, I'm lucky to be able to spread the message with the AUA Foundation and NFL encouraging other men to take charge of their prostate health and to stay in the game for life," explained Haynes. "We're calling on all men to play defense with their health and to start the discussion with their doctor today."

The statistics are startling -- one in six men will be diagnosed in his lifetime and more than 240,000 U.S. men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2011. African American men are more than twice as likely to die of prostate cancer and men with a family history are at a higher risk for developing the disease.

"By bringing this national men's health issue to local communities, it is our hope to highlight the need for greater prostate health risk assessment," explained Sandra Vasssos, Executive Director of the AUA Foundation. "It is critical that men take charge of their prostrate health as it is the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S."
    If you're 40 or older, the AUA recommends that you talk with your doctor about prostate health. Prostate cancer is most treatable when caught early and not every treatment is recommended for every individual.

As a former pro football player who was fit and healthy, being diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening disease was the last thing on Haynes' mind. Haynes benefited from early detection due to a joint NFL Player Care Foundation and AUA Foundation screening that diagnosed him with prostate cancer.

Haynes continues to be a champion and lead the charge for the "Know Your Stats about Prostate Cancer" campaign and to recruit other pro football legends, or "Team Haynes" members, to join the effort. New pro football legends joining "Team Haynes" this year include Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Michael Irvin and Steve Young. In addition, the NFL and AUA Foundation will also debut new public service announcements that will air across the nation this fall and urge men to know their risk of prostate cancer.
    The AUA Foundation and the NFL have built upon a relationship that started in 2007 when the NFL began implementing prostate cancer screenings for retired players conducted by the AUA Foundation.

Together, they encourage all men and their loved ones to visit www.KnowYourStats.org for information about prostate cancer.

What You Should Know, or Share with the Men in Your Life, About Prostate Cancer:
    » Prostate defense begins at 40. Talk with your doctor to learn more about your prostate health.
    » Not every treatment is perfect for every man. If you've been diagnosed with prostate cancer, talk to your doctor about what is right for you.
    » Know Your Stats -- and don't let prostate cancer take you out of the game. Visit www.KnowYourStats.org to learn more.
    » To learn more about the NFL's commitment to player health, visit www.nflhealthandsafety.com.

About prostate cancer
    Prostate cancer is most treatable when caught early. The AUA recommends men get a baseline PSA test at age 40 and talk with their doctors to create a prostate health plan based on lifestyle and family history. The future risk of prostate cancer is closely related to a man's PSA score, and men who are screened at age 40 establish a baseline score that can be tracked over time.
  • mrspjd
    Awareness
    Merci beaucoup Beau2 (sorry, couldn’t resist) for getting the word out that September is Prostate Cancer Awareness month. Many special PCa seminars, conferences and related activities are scheduled during the month of September to bring attention to PCa education and the importance of annual check ups for men starting at age 40, or younger, if there is a family history of hormone sensitive cancers. I’ve already noticed several PCa related articles/events listed in our local newspaper. A quick check of some PCa educational internet sites also turned up add’l PCa awareness events.

Thx again.
  • Beau2
    Beau2 Member Posts: 261
    mrspjd said:

Awareness
    Merci beaucoup Beau2 (sorry, couldn’t resist) for getting the word out that September is Prostate Cancer Awareness month. Many special PCa seminars, conferences and related activities are scheduled during the month of September to bring attention to PCa education and the importance of annual check ups for men starting at age 40, or younger, if there is a family history of hormone sensitive cancers. I’ve already noticed several PCa related articles/events listed in our local newspaper. A quick check of some PCa educational internet sites also turned up add’l PCa awareness events.

Thx again.

Thanks mrspjd
    I was named after my father's favorite hunting dog. My mother told me that when I was small, both the dog and I would come running when my dad called. I never was any good at going on point or retrieving.

Thanks for the postings on the PCa events ... especially the NFL one ... I went to their site... was really impressed with all of the players being involved ... hope the NFL does some spots during the upcoming games.
  • mrspjd
    Beau2 said:

Thanks mrspjd
    I was named after my father's favorite hunting dog. My mother told me that when I was small, both the dog and I would come running when my dad called. I never was any good at going on point or retrieving.

Thanks for the postings on the PCa events ... especially the NFL one ... I went to their site... was really impressed with all of the players being involved ... hope the NFL does some spots during the upcoming games.

LOL
    Beau,

LOL about your namesake story and comment. Thanks. (Will refrain from any add’l humorous remarks, as tempting as that might be).

Be well.
  • mrspjd
    September 2012

Update: It’s here again:

SEPTEMBER 2012 NATIONAL PROSTATE CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
  • Celticroots2
    Celticroots2 Member Posts: 43
    PC Month Awareness
    There is a website called BlueCure.Org which was started by a young man called Gabe who was diagnosed at the age of 35. He is currently criss crossing the country doing interviews to bring awareness to this terrible disease. This is definitely not an old man disease and kudos to him for sharing his diagnosis and promoting the cause.
  • mrspjd

PC Month Awareness
    There is a website called BlueCure.Org which was started by a young man called Gabe who was diagnosed at the age of 35. He is currently criss crossing the country doing interviews to bring awareness to this terrible disease. This is definitely not an old man disease and kudos to him for sharing his diagnosis and promoting the cause.

GETTING THE WORD OUT ABOUT PCa AWARENESS AND EDUCATION
    Thanks for your post, Celtic. And thanks to men like Gabe Canales who is sharing his story, WE--men and women, with and without cancer--are all working together as a team, making noise to get the word out about PCa awareness and education.

Check out Gabe's video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxkaCLSVJYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • ralph.townsend1
    ralph.townsend1 Member Posts: 359 Member
    mrspjd said:

GETTING THE WORD OUT ABOUT PCa AWARENESS AND EDUCATION
    Thanks for your post, Celtic. And thanks to men like Gabe Canales who is sharing his story, WE--men and women, with and without cancer--are all working together as a team, making noise to get the word out about PCa awareness and education.

Check out Gabe's video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxkaCLSVJYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Great Subject!!!
    The problems is that I can't find my Prostate to march on Washington DC. In protest of Agent Orange, thank you United States Government!!

God Bless!!
  • Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351

Great Subject!!!
    The problems is that I can't find my Prostate to march on Washington DC. In protest of Agent Orange, thank you United States Government!!

God Bless!!

Prostate
    Ralph,
    When I went for my VA physical they told doctor to do a dre. I told her she had to go to the hospital and find out what they did with my prostate. Then test it.
    I have been up to DC to protest the war in Iraq four times. Last time they had cops thatlooked like star wars. Scary. That war was wrong. Those poor kids. Iam starting to volunteer at thelocal VA center. The VA is overwhelmed. Fortunately for me I have other insurance. Unfortunately many of these men and women do not. When I go into the VA now it is so crowded, and your appointment is really just feel good, yes, no? That is about it now. Unfortunately I do not believe they can catch up to whatis going on. We need to take defense money and put itinto helping these men and women. Just my opinion
  • ralph.townsend1

Prostate
    Ralph,
    When I went for my VA physical they told doctor to do a dre. I told her she had to go to the hospital and find out what they did with my prostate. Then test it.
    I have been up to DC to protest the war in Iraq four times. Last time they had cops thatlooked like star wars. Scary. That war was wrong. Those poor kids. Iam starting to volunteer at thelocal VA center. The VA is overwhelmed. Fortunately for me I have other insurance. Unfortunately many of these men and women do not. When I go into the VA now it is so crowded, and your appointment is really just feel good, yes, no? That is about it now. Unfortunately I do not believe they can catch up to whatis going on. We need to take defense money and put itinto helping these men and women. Just my opinion

Support
    Thank you for being active on what you beleive in. Yes your right, these young soldier's that gave for our country will be left out in the cold! If we can get these men and women thru the front door at VA and show them there is help, and VA can support for them. Yes we need more money for all of us!!!!
  • laserlight
    laserlight Member Posts: 165

Support
    Thank you for being active on what you beleive in. Yes your right, these young soldier's that gave for our country will be left out in the cold! If we can get these men and women thru the front door at VA and show them there is help, and VA can support for them. Yes we need more money for all of us!!!!

everyone needs support
    I feel that everyone that has served in the military should be taken care of. We all gave a lot and it changed our lifes completely. The Vets of Iraq and Afganistan needs to be taken care of completely. All Viet Nam Vets need to be taken care of without quetion. War sucks, But the problem is with short sighted politicians. It is good to see PC awarness month, this is needed. The concept out there is that PC is not a bad form of cancer and it is easy to treat, I have ran into this thought process too many times now. And it really makes me confused and upset. But education about this can change things and clear up the confusion.

We are all fighters and surviors of the PC war.

For the Viet Vets we are still fighting, this time the battle is AO.
  • ralph.townsend1

everyone needs support
    I feel that everyone that has served in the military should be taken care of. We all gave a lot and it changed our lifes completely. The Vets of Iraq and Afganistan needs to be taken care of completely. All Viet Nam Vets need to be taken care of without quetion. War sucks, But the problem is with short sighted politicians. It is good to see PC awarness month, this is needed. The concept out there is that PC is not a bad form of cancer and it is easy to treat, I have ran into this thought process too many times now. And it really makes me confused and upset. But education about this can change things and clear up the confusion.

Cancer
    Prostate Cancer is our main fight and hope a cure for ALL cancer is out there. A lot of us might not see that day, but we will fight with everything we have. My daughter is a RN at Dallas Childrens Hospital and the little children fighting for life's with all types of cancer!

With that, my cancer not so bad, I live so far 62 year's and lot of them won't see their second birthday. So if I have to do some strange stuff for someone else live longer, then so be it.
  • Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351

everyone needs support

Agent orange and prostate cancer
    Laserlight,
    You might not run into this, but where I am a majority of doctors feel that agent orange is overstated. They think it is just b.s. a friend of mine mentioned AO to his doctor and he said it was b.s. my urologist said the same thing. Even though he saw the nodule on my lung. Said it was from smoking even though I quit in 1985. The doc who finally cut me open for the biopsy told me before the op. that it was feom smoking. You really do not get the last laugh when it comes back metastic prostate cancer, but I went off on urologist,ptsd style, and have been laughing at every doctor I meet when they go there. Dr.s seem to have a very narrow view about ao and prostate cancer. You get as far as I have you just laugh at them. Unfortunately many others are paying the price for this ignorance, or denial. Shame on them.

These young men and women are going to come dow with all sorts of cancer from using depleted uranium. It is already happening, but by the time the VA recognizes it most of them will be dead. Same as AO. Wait long enough and nature takes care of your problems.

My rant for the week, I hope.
  • ralph.townsend1

Agent orange and prostate cancer
    Laserlight,
    You might not run into this, but where I am a majority of doctors feel that agent orange is overstated. They think it is just b.s. a friend of mine mentioned AO to his doctor and he said it was b.s. my urologist said the same thing. Even though he saw the nodule on my lung. Said it was from smoking even though I quit in 1985. The doc who finally cut me open for the biopsy told me before the op. that it was feom smoking. You really do not get the last laugh when it comes back metastic prostate cancer, but I went off on urologist,ptsd style, and have been laughing at every doctor I meet when they go there. Dr.s seem to have a very narrow view about ao and prostate cancer. You get as far as I have you just laugh at them. Unfortunately many others are paying the price for this ignorance, or denial. Shame on them.

These young men and women are going to come dow with all sorts of cancer from using depleted uranium. It is already happening, but by the time the VA recognizes it most of them will be dead. Same as AO. Wait long enough and nature takes care of your problems.

My rant for the week, I hope.

ditto
    Yes my doctor's laugh too and but not now. I had a PTSD moment too!
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member Posts: 67
    Wearing my Blue Ribbon Lapel pin
    Wearing it every day and telling anyone that will listen about the importance of monitoring and early detection.

Check out the website for anyone and everyone to track their PSA for free and in private:
    http://prostatetracker.org/
  • mrspjd

ditto
    Yes my doctor's laugh too and but not now. I had a PTSD moment too!

Where the he!! is the blue rope on WWE rings?
    Totally Outrageous!! The WWE (World Wrestling) needs to know they can support the fight against PCa ALSO!

"...as noted at Night of Champions, the middle rope on WWE’s rings will be pink to support the fight against breast cancer."

http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2012/2012_09_16.jsp
    http://www.twnpnews.com/2012/09/more-details-on-wwe-teaming-with-susan-g-komen/

So...whadaya gonna do about it GUYS? (I'm writing a letter to WWE corporate asking them to show their support for PCa with a blue rope on WWE's rings and a contribution to my fav PCa charity, etc.)