Dealing with recurrence #2

daisy366
daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
Hi Ladies,

I've been laying low for awhile, managing this second recurrence. I took letrozole (generic Femara) for 5 months while watching CA125 rise steadily - and more rapidly in last couple of months - now near 140.

I've been practicing alternative energy medicine for a couple of years and went to Boston in July for treatments. I am also on a personalized anti-cancer diet recommended by holistic nutritionist there with goal to starve cancer. Also taking supplements - paw paw, black cumin seed, and ellagic to boost immune system.

The diet is kicking my butt though. It is so exclusive of most everything I enjoy except some fruits and poultry. It's kind of depressing and sometimes I have to force myself to eat because I don't really enjoy meals at all. I've lost about 9 pounds in last month. Any suggestions on preparing tasty low carb veggies and/or beans is appreciated.

I get next bloodwork and scan within 2 weeks. Trying to be optimistic that my body will take over job of chasing Chester (UPSC) away before I have to resort to chemo.

Wishing blessings on you all, Mary Ann

Comments

• Jackie53
    Jackie53 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Do you like soup?
    Hi Mary Ann,

I found a recipe for low carb cauliflower leek soup on Allrecipes.com that looks tasty. If you check it out, be sure to read the reviews because the original recipe has cream in it but the first reviewer substituted navy beans for the cream and said it was great. I'm going to make this soup in the next day or two myself!

Best wishes,
    Jackie
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Wishing you blessings to you too
    Hope Chester gets the hint and leaves. Wish I had suggestions for the diet. Just writing to wish you the best and know I read your posts. You are an inspiration.
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Sorry your CA125 is rising, Mary Ann
    I'm so sorry that the Letrozole hasn't kept your CA125 stable, Mary Ann. I'm on it too and won't know until my next scan in late October whether it is working (CA125 isn't a marker for me).
    With regard to low carb veggies and beans - have you considered investing in a Vitamix blender (or other powerful make of blender). I got one a few weeks ago and it really is amazing how you can make soups in it - the friction of the blades heats it up. Somehow, a warm, tasty soup is sometimes more comforting than a plate of food. You can also "hide" some of the foods in it that you need to eat but don't like! They are expensive, but I figured that with all I was going through, I was entitled to a new toy!
    Wishing you well
    Helen
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Mary Ann my thoughts are with you
    Sorry you are having a rough time. You have made so many positive changes in your life, I hope they are working to contain " Chester". Wishing you good news on your PET scan. In peace and caring.
  • daisy366
    Ro10 said:

Mary Ann my thoughts are with you
    Sorry you are having a rough time. You have made so many positive changes in your life, I hope they are working to contain " Chester". Wishing you good news on your PET scan. In peace and caring.

Thanks for the feedback
    I think I'm on a pity pot which I need to get off of. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of this diet and trying to stick with it for another 10 days till PET.

Thanks for listening.
  • soromer
    soromer Member Posts: 130
    Sorry things aren't going as well as you hoped
    Dear Mary Ann,

I know you're really in it in this battle with Chester. I wish that you had better results so far with your treatment regime. If something that you are doing is not successful, however, that does not mean that you have exhausted all your options.

My thoughts will be with you as you grapple with what to do next.

Peace and blessings,
    soromer/Kate
  • CindyGSD
    CindyGSD Member Posts: 190
    Hi Mary Ann
    I'm sorry this diet thing has you down. I can't offer much assistance with regard to food choices since I don't follow any specific anti-cancer diet but if you can eat tomatoes and a little dairy, I made this the other day and it was simply yummy so maybe its something you could work with.

Cherry tomatoes - tops cut off and insides removed
    Feta Cheese - stuffed in tomatoes
    Red pepper flakes sprinked over the top
    drizzle with olive oil and sea salt.
    Sprinkle with torn up mint leaves.

This recipe also calls for black olive paste dotted on the serving plate which I did not do. Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/stuffed-cherry-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

I'm sure you know this, but roasting veggies adds a lot of flavor. You could also make chicken fajitas and leave out the tortillia maybe add some veggies that don't normally show up in fajitas.

Can you eat anything with coconut milk, I just made a great recipe last night but coconut milk was prime ingredient so I don't want to tempt you if its something you can't eat.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • lovemycat
    lovemycat Member Posts: 43
    praying for you
    Hi Mary Ann, So sorry you are having a recurrence, My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Helen
  • daisy366
    lovemycat said:

praying for you
    Hi Mary Ann, So sorry you are having a recurrence, My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Helen

Cindy
    Can't have tomatoes, olives, dairy but I can have coconut milk!! Would love recipe since coconut milk is pretty bland stuff. Roasted veggies good idea.
  • Fayard
    Fayard Member Posts: 438 Member
    daisy366 said:

Thanks for the feedback
    I think I'm on a pity pot which I need to get off of. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of this diet and trying to stick with it for another 10 days till PET.

Thanks for listening.

Mary Ann
    I just purchase some Farro, and instead of cooking it I soaked it over night.
    I got soft, so I made a salad with red onions, red pepper, yellow tomatoes, fresh garlic, chopped spinach, cilantro and walnuts, some dried cranberries, fresh lemon juice, olive olive and sea salt.
    According to my husband, it was delicious. I liked it a lot too.

I also sprouted Mung beans. These did not sprout; however, I removed the haul and made the same type of salad. It is good!

Do you like red cabbage? If so, I also make coleslaw with just red cabbage, carrots and a touch of vegenaise (I buy the egg, gluten, soy free).
    I would like to eat more raw food, since apparently is better for you.

Helen's idea is great; however, I have a masticating juicer: Omega 8005.
    I drink green juices 4 times a week. Because there is not metal involved in the process of juicing, the juices could last at 48 hrs. I drink mine withing 24 hours.

I have a friend whose doctor is in NY. He is a conventional doctor who now practices natural medicine. She just sent me a regimen for juice therapy for my father who potentially has colon cancer. If you are interested, please email me at luisafayar@yahoo.com and I will email it to you.

I am sorry for the long note.
    Hugs and positive energy to you!
  • CindyGSD
    CindyGSD Member Posts: 190
    daisy366 said:

Cindy
    Can't have tomatoes, olives, dairy but I can have coconut milk!! Would love recipe since coconut milk is pretty bland stuff. Roasted veggies good idea.

Well...
    ...the coconut milk might be bland but the curry paste isn't...so probably not a good recipe if blandness is important. You could cut it out and just make something with coconut milk and thai basil which has tons of flavor....

1/4 cup of coconut milk
    1 T of red curry paste.
    Heat together until curry paste desolves in coconut milk
    Add a chicken breast cut into bite size pieces cook until chicken is almost done
    Add an additional 1/2 cup of coconut milk
    Add a splash of fish sauce (yuck)
    1 T of brown sugar (I know you probably have to leave that out)
    Whatever veggies you want (I used onion, green and red peppers & brocolli)
    1/4 cup of Fresh Thai Basil (less if dry)
    Cook until desired doneness...
    Top with freshly squeezed lemon juice.

I serve it over rice but obviously you don't have too.

Cindy
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Hello Mary Ann
    I don't come here as often as I used to. I'm trying to "wean myself " from the boards but I still like to check on everyone once in awhile. Just want to say I think you are a pretty special person. Strong, confident, proactive. I will be thinking of you and hoping and praying for good results from your scan and blood work
    Big Hugs,
    Cindy
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Hello Mary Ann
    I don't come here as often as I used to. I'm trying to "wean myself " from the boards but I still like to check on everyone once in awhile. Just want to say I think you are a pretty special person. Strong, confident, proactive. I will be thinking of you and hoping and praying for good results from your scan and blood work
    Big Hugs,
    Cindy

Diet
    It sounds like dealing with the diet is one issue you have some control over, so I hope you can find some tasty recipes. I have made some great soups with cauliflower or broccoli, and if you can have coconut milk, I make a wonderful chicken curry soup, but it uses rice to thicken. If you can find another thickener, it's basically sautee some onions and garlic, then add broth, rice,and spices, (curry), cook until rice is done and then throw into the blender to thicken, then add chicken and peas (oops, too many carbs? Switch to broccoli), and some coconut milk.

I, too, love roasted vegetables and asparagus is one of my favorites. Just toss with some olive oil, an herb or two (I like thyme), some salt, pepper, and garlic and throw it in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Pound some chicken breasts and roll with some goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, and basil - or anything. Saute to brown and either cover or throw in the oven. The drippings on the pan can be used to make a sauce or gravy. Add a little dijon mustard, broth, lemon juice?

I hope your scans are good and this has kept things stable or better yet, eliminated them,

Suzanne
  • lkchapman
    lkchapman Member Posts: 106
    Paleothithic diet
    Hi Mary Ann,
    You have probably already done this, but if you haven't you might try researching the paleo diet or cave man diet. There are some tasty sounding recipes posted on these websites that restrict carbs. The emphasis is on organic grass-fed meats and lots of veggies. I can commiserate with you as I have recently tried to restrict my carbs and missed my bread too much! I have already fallen off the wagon. :(
    I'm sure you will be successful!

Laura
  • laura25
    laura25 Member Posts: 180 Member
    Mary Ann
    Hi Mary Ann, Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. You gave me hope and inspiration when I needed it the most. When I was stumbling, you ladies helped me up. I am here to help you too. Positive thoughts, positive prayers, and many blessings I am sending your way.
  • daisy366
    laura25 said:

Mary Ann
    Hi Mary Ann, Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. You gave me hope and inspiration when I needed it the most. When I was stumbling, you ladies helped me up. I am here to help you too. Positive thoughts, positive prayers, and many blessings I am sending your way.

Thank you
    It is a good thing to post - during good and bad times. I've been laying back - trying not to discourage others. But it is important to reach out for help when needed. Just knowing others care and pray for each other is so encouraging.

I'm plodding on through this and I'll let everyone know the results soon.

Thanks again. Mary Ann
  • sunflash
    sunflash Member Posts: 197 Member
    daisy366 said:

Thank you
    It is a good thing to post - during good and bad times. I've been laying back - trying not to discourage others. But it is important to reach out for help when needed. Just knowing others care and pray for each other is so encouraging.

I'm plodding on through this and I'll let everyone know the results soon.

Thanks again. Mary Ann

Mary Ann,
    So sorry you're

Mary Ann,
    So sorry you're having to deal with this. This is such a horrible disease......you certainly don't deserve this.
    I'm adding my prayers to all the rest.
    Hugs!
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Stone soup
    Ate you familiar with a blog called Stonesoup? If not, it's done by an Australian who creates healthy, simple, easily prepared recipes and meals. Her most recent post had ideas for substituting vegetables for grains. One example I recall was using grated cauliflower for couscous. Check it out. Maybe there are some things that would work for you.