I have to rant

Doc_Hawk
Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
edited August 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm really getting fed up with products that are labeled as "easy open" or "convenient zip-lock" and that sort of thing and then still need to have someone else open it for me! This isn't just a problem for those of us with neuropathy and cracked fingers from chemo, but people with arthritis as well. Just before I sat down to rant about this I was trying to open a Popsicle wrapper which caused my fingers to bleed. Sure I could use scissors most times, but there's not always a pair handy, and the shotgun tends to send Rice Krispies all over the kitchen. Anybody else experience and get sick of this?

Ok, gonna fall off my soap box and take a chill pill now.

Ok, dad ready? PULL! Snap, Crackle, BLAM!

Comments

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Doc-Hawk
    Even for those of us without finger problems, most easy-open things are a drag. Mine is the bag of serial in the box.. They don't want tyou to open it. LOL
  • danker
    Doc-Hawk
    Even for those of us without finger problems, most easy-open things are a drag. Mine is the bag of serial in the box.. They don't want tyou to open it. LOL
  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    I can't open these things
    I can't open these things without neuropathy, they make the damn things people proof now. lol at the shotgun and sound effects. I would say I'm now in the mood for rice krispies but it seems you've killed them all.
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Helen321 said:

I can't open these things without neuropathy, they make the damn things people proof now. lol at the shotgun and sound effects. I would say I'm now in the mood for rice krispies but it seems you've killed them all.

I had to take my hubby to
    I had to take my hubby to emerg. one time because he had stabbed himself in the hand with the scissors while trying to open a package. Ended up with stitches.
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    I drop stuff,
    can't open things, just utterly clumsy because of the neuropathy. I've gotten to the point where I just grab the scissors right off the bat and cut things open. Can't ziplock them back again, but I can't get that to work either so no biggie.
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    My teeth can't open
    They package these products so tight even by using my teeth I can't rip open some of these bags. I have to have scissors, knife or something like that for most all products. I know senior citizens have to have a hard time. But I guess they have to make it safe so some nut doesn't open the packages and put some poison or other weird stuff in the bags. Good comment.
    Jeff
  • Doc_Hawk
    Helen321 said:

Rice Krispies
    They don't taste very good with the shot either. Kinda cracks the teeth some.
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Can so relate
    Yes, packaging has become a real problem.

I keep a pair of heavy duty scissors in the kitchen for most packaging. Instead of using the zip-lock or other means to close packages I have gotten a lot of those small "chip clips". The are easy to manage and work well when you double fold the packaging. I even put them in the freezer and they still manage to hold up.

I dislike the caps where you either have to apply equal pressure to the two sides of the lid or the ones where you have to press down hard and then turn. Many times I will then transfer the product to another container along with the clipped info about it.

There are lots of challenges out there when it comes to packaging. Haven't gotten out the gun for any yet, but its been close! lol

Good topic...am sure there are lots of out of the box solutions to be shared.

Marie who loves kitties
  • Luckygirl2
    Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308
    husband or grandkids
    I just automatically give it to my husband or grand kids whoever happens to be standing close by...everyone is now use to my dropping things without warning, and my occasional fit throwing when I can't open something and or close it! Patience isn't exactly my strong point lately! :) If I didn't have to clean up the mess, my stress relieve of choice is throwing it! :)
  • Luckygirl2
    Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308
    husband or grandkids
    I just automatically give it to my husband or grand kids whoever happens to be standing close by...everyone is now use to my dropping things without warning, and my occasional fit throwing when I can't open something and or close it! Patience isn't exactly my strong point lately! :) If I didn't have to clean up the mess, my stress relieve of choice is throwing it! :)
  • danker

husband or grandkids

patience
    Unfortunately I failed to buy the plaque that read: God give me patience-right now!LOL
  • Doc_Hawk

Can so relate
    Yes, packaging has become a real problem.

I keep a pair of heavy duty scissors in the kitchen for most packaging. Instead of using the zip-lock or other means to close packages I have gotten a lot of those small "chip clips". The are easy to manage and work well when you double fold the packaging. I even put them in the freezer and they still manage to hold up.

I dislike the caps where you either have to apply equal pressure to the two sides of the lid or the ones where you have to press down hard and then turn. Many times I will then transfer the product to another container along with the clipped info about it.

There are lots of challenges out there when it comes to packaging. Haven't gotten out the gun for any yet, but its been close! lol

Good topic...am sure there are lots of out of the box solutions to be shared.

Marie who loves kitties

Child proof caps
    Miss Kitty,

Check with your pharmacy about non-child proof caps for your meds. I've had to make that request and usually they're pretty good about it. Sometimes they slip but then I just go back and ask for another bottle, with the scrip info on it, then keep the one with the child proof cap in my "diaper bag".
  • Doc_Hawk
    danker said:

patience
    Unfortunately I failed to buy the plaque that read: God give me patience-right now!LOL

Plaque
    Hmmmm ... maybe I should have that tattooed on my forehead. Both as a reminder to me and a warning to others.
  • Doc_Hawk

husband or grandkids

Uncle's little helper
    Gotcha on that one! Sometimes I've asked my 6 year old niece for help with things like that. She's the responsible one in her family.
  • Lovekitties
    Doc_Hawk said:

Child proof caps
    Miss Kitty,

Check with your pharmacy about non-child proof caps for your meds. I've had to make that request and usually they're pretty good about it. Sometimes they slip but then I just go back and ask for another bottle, with the scrip info on it, then keep the one with the child proof cap in my "diaper bag".

If it were only that simple...lol
    Doc, I don't require any meds on a regular basis, but do take the occasional advil...the cap with two pressure points.

The downward presure cap is on the bleach for the laundry.

It used to be that meds were the only 'challenging' caps but now it seems most anything can have a tough cap.

Oh, lets also add into the mix those lovely packages which are sealed hard plasitc! They even give the scissors a work out.

I don't recommend taking a knife to any of the packaging as I once ended up with 7 stitches in the pad of my finger because the knife won!

I have yet to get the kitties to open things for me, but they seem to have no trouble gnawing thru the cat food bag if left unattended...lol
  • Lovekitties
    Doc_Hawk said:

Plaque
    Hmmmm ... maybe I should have that tattooed on my forehead. Both as a reminder to me and a warning to others.

You will need two
    One for others to read and one done in reverse so you can read it in the mirror!
  • wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member

You will need two
    One for others to read and one done in reverse so you can read it in the mirror!

Doc
    Rent a two year old. They are very efficient at getting into anything. I also hate the "childproof" caps. Some sadist's idea of a joke.

Luv,

Wolfen
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    If all food came
    In glass jars ,I would die .As it is when I do die some lucky person is going to inherit some vintage olives ,gherkins and pickled cucumber cos I can't open the @##$%%%$@ things and I am to proud to ask the 75 year old lady upstairs to open them for me. Ron.
  • Lovekitties
    ron50 said:

If all food came
    In glass jars ,I would die .As it is when I do die some lucky person is going to inherit some vintage olives ,gherkins and pickled cucumber cos I can't open the @##$%%%$@ things and I am to proud to ask the 75 year old lady upstairs to open them for me. Ron.

LOL about 75 yr old lady
    Dear Ron, here in the states I have found an ergonomic kitchen tool brand called OXO which has a super jar opener. It is pie shaped with a handle. Works well on the stuborn lids. A couple of other tricks is to run hot water over the lid to cause the metal to expand...then there is the smack to the bottom with the heel of your hand to cause the air bubble inside to pop to release the presure.

This company also makes a good can (tin) opener. When you clamp the cutting mech down on the can it snaps closed so you don't have to apply pressure while turning the crank around the can. I know, lots of folks us an electric can opener but I have had little luck of those lasting and mine works even when the electricity goes out!

Always good to see you posting.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    Thought I was the only one
    Thought I was the only one bothered by this. I tried to open a plain box of crackers or saltines, I ended up ripping it to shreads because I was so frustrated with the "easy open" flap. I determined the easy open flap is crap!