doubling every month

sfcspre
sfcspre Member Posts: 15
Hello again. 2010 has gleason score of 9 . prostate was removed and so was the gland . nothing in the lymps. cancer broke through the prostate. later that year had a posititve psa.2011 went for radiation in oct. 2012 jan. psa .02. May 1.1. going back this sept. and they expect it to be 4.something. what are some of the experiences of harmone therapy.thanks for the help.

Comments

• ralph.townsend1
    ralph.townsend1 Member Posts: 359 Member
    Gleasons score of 9
    Sorry of your conditions, but gleason 9 is very aggressive cancer. You do not wait for it to grow. I hope the doctor's have something to put you on. I would be on there butts to start something. The lupron or Firmagon treatment have Hot Flashes, moods, depression, being tired, Lupron is a shot in the butt, and the Firmagon is shot in the stomach and I heard it is painful. I'm on a drug now called Zytiga, 4- 250mg pills a day. Very little side effects. Look up all these drugs

Question
    How many points were gleason 9?
  • sfcspre

Gleasons score of 9
    Sorry of your conditions, but gleason 9 is very aggressive cancer. You do not wait for it to grow. I hope the doctor's have something to put you on. I would be on there butts to start something. The lupron or Firmagon treatment have Hot Flashes, moods, depression, being tired, Lupron is a shot in the butt, and the Firmagon is shot in the stomach and I heard it is painful. I'm on a drug now called Zytiga, 4- 250mg pills a day. Very little side effects. Look up all these drugs

Question

ty trying to figure out my
    ty trying to figure out my options on which drug.stats. say they will only last about 2 years max in my case.
  • sfcspre

Gleasons score of 9

Question

18 out of 20

18 out of 20
  • ralph.townsend1
    sfcspre said:

ty trying to figure out my
    ty trying to figure out my options on which drug.stats. say they will only last about 2 years max in my case.

lupron
    I have been on lupron for just over 2 years and the doctors said it is still slowing down some PSA cells.
  • ralph.townsend1
    sfcspre said:

18 out of 20

18 out of 20

Gleason9
    If your 18 out of 20 at a Gleasons 9.You should look into provenge or Zytiga. The doctor's at MD Anderson are trying to keep mine under 1 psa and right now it is 0.2psa with help of Zytiga.
  • Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351
    sfcspre said:

18 out of 20

18 out of 20

Treatment
    Not sure, but does yourmhandle mean Sergeant First Class? If so then you have lookd into AO. Should you be eligible for AO then you need to apply for it immeadiately. If you fought in Iraq, or Afghanistan then you might have been exposed to depleted uraninum. I think this might be worse than what we got. If you are from the new wars I am so proud of you. You guys have brass balls. We thought one year was a fight. We lost alot more than you, but I would praise you formgoing back again and again. I would have gone again, but you get too old. I am so proud of you, if I am right.God Bless.
    Mike
  • sfcspre

Treatment
    Not sure, but does yourmhandle mean Sergeant First Class? If so then you have lookd into AO. Should you be eligible for AO then you need to apply for it immeadiately. If you fought in Iraq, or Afghanistan then you might have been exposed to depleted uraninum. I think this might be worse than what we got. If you are from the new wars I am so proud of you. You guys have brass balls. We thought one year was a fight. We lost alot more than you, but I would praise you formgoing back again and again. I would have gone again, but you get too old. I am so proud of you, if I am right.God Bless.
    Mike

yes it does but not for me.
    yes it does but not for me. father lifer and son is in afghanistan. infantry. you have been very helpful. my question is how long did it take before psa numbers changed while on the harmones. my cancer was outside of prostate . by some chance did you develope any other problems. i seem to be having problems in my arms. severe joint pain and loss of strength.trying to hold out on treatment until son comes home. wants me to be there when he gets off the plane.made a promise and will by any means will keep it.cant let him know anything. i think being shot at on a regular bases is enough for him to handle at 21.
  • ralph.townsend1
    sfcspre said:

yes it does but not for me. father lifer and son is in afghanistan. infantry. you have been very helpful. my question is how long did it take before psa numbers changed while on the harmones. my cancer was outside of prostate . by some chance did you develope any other problems. i seem to be having problems in my arms. severe joint pain and loss of strength.trying to hold out on treatment until son comes home. wants me to be there when he gets off the plane.made a promise and will by any means will keep it.cant let him know anything. i think being shot at on a regular bases is enough for him to handle at 21.

Shot & side effects
    Thanks them for a great service to our country, I'm proud of our troops coming home now! I'm would not waiting to long for starting some form of Harmores. The lupron is 3 or 4, 6 month shot, it should take the psa level down a little bit or a lot. The side effect are hot flashes, loss of strenght. I would not hold on for your son to come to start treatment, everyday you wait is a chance that this monster get to something else like your bones, lungs, brain, or ETC. I think your son has mature enough to handle your condition! You need him to help fight together this cancer. If you have a tear in you eyes then you tell him, it's OK! There is one other side effect thats is emotion, and thats OK too!
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member

Shot & side effects
    Thanks them for a great service to our country, I'm proud of our troops coming home now! I'm would not waiting to long for starting some form of Harmores. The lupron is 3 or 4, 6 month shot, it should take the psa level down a little bit or a lot. The side effect are hot flashes, loss of strenght. I would not hold on for your son to come to start treatment, everyday you wait is a chance that this monster get to something else like your bones, lungs, brain, or ETC. I think your son has mature enough to handle your condition! You need him to help fight together this cancer. If you have a tear in you eyes then you tell him, it's OK! There is one other side effect thats is emotion, and thats OK too!

sfcspre,

I’m so sorry that your PCa has recurred--IF recurrence has been confirmed by your PCa oncologist, as it's not entirely clear from the info you've shared. It seems that you’re about in the same place as you were with your last posts: http://csn.cancer.org/node/232320 and http://csn.cancer.org/node/239621

My husband was on ADT3 as part of his aggressive primary txs, along with HDRB and IMRT, for high risk T3 stage PCa. It was well tolerated with minimal side effects—for him.

I would respectfully recommend that you use your search engine to thoroughly research the following topics as you investigate options for recurrence txs:

>Look into newer diagnostic imaging tests (considered experimental by some), such as the C11 Choline PET/CT scan, in limited use, not covered by insurance, to see if it’s appropriate for you in determining whether the recurrence is focal or systemic. The info from the scans may help in evaulating possible tx options: http://askdrbarken.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/c-11-choline-petct-scan-dr-eugene-kwon-mayo-clinic/

>Read the writings of two well known respected PCa medical doctors, Stephen Strum and Charles “Snuffy” Meyers, about their research and thoughts on recurrent PCa, ADT, ADT3, and intermittent vs continuous ADT protocols.

>Review the many back pages on this forum with discussions on those topics.

You are your own best advocate on this PCa journey. Do your own independent research and come prepared with important questions next time you visit your PCa oncologist--if you don’t already have one, now’s the time to find an experienced and knowledgeable oncologist with a specialty in PCa.

Best wishes and good luck to you.
  • tspoon
    tspoon Member Posts: 24
    Hubby had psa 1913, In less
    Hubby had psa 1913, In less than 90 days he was less than 3, under 0 in 5 mths. Remained less than 0 10 mths. Yes, belly is painful, but they use a deadner and if they have any compassion they wait for it to take effect. Joint pain is normal and becomes manageble, as well as tiredness. Start your treatment, you will be doing him more fairly by tending to yourself, as well as being there for him. HT ain't easy, sweats, muscle loss, joint pain, sexual side effects. Oh, he is also gleason 9. Prayer for you both.
  • Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351
    sfcspre said:

Pain
    I get pain in my joints, and in organs. They test me every three months to see where it has spread to, nut so far has mot shown up amywhere else. Pain is not good, but not sure why I have it. Everytime they do a body scan. And MRI it comes back normal.. Dr. Tells me he knows it is coming back, and I believe him. Why I have the pain I have no idea. Anyhow I am aure enough of us are going throughthe pain thing, best thing i found is Meditation.
    It is a wonderful theraphy. Definetly worth doing. Just my thoughts.

Mike
  • laserlight
    laserlight Member Posts: 165
    tspoon said:

Hubby had psa 1913, In less
    Hubby had psa 1913, In less than 90 days he was less than 3, under 0 in 5 mths. Remained less than 0 10 mths. Yes, belly is painful, but they use a deadner and if they have any compassion they wait for it to take effect. Joint pain is normal and becomes manageble, as well as tiredness. Start your treatment, you will be doing him more fairly by tending to yourself, as well as being there for him. HT ain't easy, sweats, muscle loss, joint pain, sexual side effects. Oh, he is also gleason 9. Prayer for you both.

Hello SFC
    Welcome, another Vet checking in, Like Mike indicated if you cancer is related to AO get yourself in contact with the VA. And by the way I salute your Son for serving in the military. I have had pain and tiredness since surgery, sometimes it is at a high level. I am trying to understand this, but it looks like another side effect. The tiredness has put me down at times. At work I sack out in the shop and sleep as need be.