HEAVEN

dmj101
dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
Any one watching Barbara Walters - What and Where is Heaven..
I will be back later to tell you what I think of this special..
if you are watching let me know your thoughs..

Comments

• dmj101
    no real answer.. but I
    no real answer.. but I believe...
    but I like the thought that there is a heaven.
    I liked the idea that maybe the idea of heaven is what guides us to be better people here and now..
    90% believe in Heaven .. do you.. I believe

Richard Gere believes this is heaven here.. if that is so.. what happened to bring us here.. he believe those in true peace are in heaven here. hmmm.. Richard.. I don't know..

My religion tells me we go to heaven and it will be peacefull there. I don't know if I believe we see those we knew here.. but I hope so..

Elizabeth Taylor said not to fear death because heaven will be wonderful.

I don't fear death and I have told others that.. as I believe I and all of us are going to Heaven.... I just don't want to get there too early as it is always a good idea to be fashionably late..
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    dmj101 said:

no real answer.. but I
    I liked the idea that maybe the idea of heaven is what guides us to be better people here and now..

Richard Gere believes this is heaven here.. if that is so.. what happened to bring us here.. he believe those in true peace are in heaven here. hmmm.. Richard.. I don't know..

My religion tells me we go to heaven and it will be peacefull there. I don't know if I believe we see those we knew here.. but I hope so..

I don't fear death and I have told others that.. as I believe I and all of us are going to Heaven.... I just don't want to get there too early as it is always a good idea to be fashionably late..

Fashionably late
    Fashionably late is my plan as well. I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to leave unfinished business! I've got a couple of books and stories that I'd like to see in print some day.

As for an Afterlife, I believe that their must be something. One definition of death is the cessation of energy activity in the body. Since energy can neither be created nor destroyed that means that the energy within each of us must go somewhere, so where is that? As for the energy that we have, it is transferred to us from that which was within our parents when we are conceived.
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    dmj101 said:

no real answer.. but I

I caught some of the show.
    I caught some of the show. I don't think it will change anyone's mind. i happen to believe. There are too many unexplained occurrences for there not to be something after this. As you both have said, I am not in a hurry to find out. ; )
    Judy
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    non-believer
    have been a non-believer since a child and grown to accept that many people, good people and bad, hold many beliefs about this concept of an after-life and about gods. what counts to me is how we live our lives now. How we treat one another and other aware beings on this planet.

I have three children, and a wife who will likely not live out the year. It would be nice to think their essense will persist in some way after they pass - something I wish for all good people, but none of it rings true.

What inspires me is how people hold up and try to make a life and do the right thing in the here and now, often under dire circumstances, and it's all the more inspiring when I know they know this is all we have.
  • PatchAdams
    PatchAdams Member Posts: 271
    I believe
    I'm a Christian and believe in what the Bible says about heaven and hell. I don't like Barbara Walters (her voice drives me crazy) and didn't watch (only have antenna t.v. and live in the boonies).

Randy Alcorn has a very interesting book on heaven. It's called 'Heaven' and was chosen as 'Book of the Month' by Barnes and Noble.

I don't fear death. I fear dying an ugly death. I don't want my family and friends to see me like some of the people who have died, what we've read it was like for some at the end. I don't want them to have to go through that.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Nice Thought...
    But I do not believe it exists. Our life is here and our time is now, we should live it to the fullest.
  • JayhawkDan
    JayhawkDan Member Posts: 205
    PhillieG said:

Nice Thought...
    But I do not believe it exists. Our life is here and our time is now, we should live it to the fullest.

I definitely believe...
    There has to be some point to this life, but I understand intelligent people -- good people -- can disagree. I don't fear death -- my main concern is preparing my family to go on without me. I don't want them to be sad, but I know that's impossible. But our belief in God is what will help them cope with my passing. I believe I will be reunited with my loved ones that have already passed -- I know they're wating for me, and I will be waiting for those that come after me. These thoughts give me peace, and that's a good thing. Even if I happen to be wrong about these beliefs (I know I'm not), then where's the harm in the peace that me and my family get from these feelings? If we just cease to exist in any shape, form or spirit after death, it doesn't really matter, does it? Dan
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    PhillieG said:

Nice Thought...

i almost agree with you, i like copying your good bits and addin
    I do believe it exists. Our life is here and our time is now, we should live it to the fullest.

with unconditional love and peace we are all apart of the fabric of the universe, the extent to which we are apart of it is determined by how open our hearts and minds are.

hugs,
    pete
  • dmj101
    Doc_Hawk said:

Fashionably late
    Fashionably late is my plan as well. I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to leave unfinished business! I've got a couple of books and stories that I'd like to see in print some day.

As for an Afterlife, I believe that their must be something. One definition of death is the cessation of energy activity in the body. Since energy can neither be created nor destroyed that means that the energy within each of us must go somewhere, so where is that? As for the energy that we have, it is transferred to us from that which was within our parents when we are conceived.

Energy = Soul
    That energy is the Soul if you believe in the bible I think..
    I believe the Soul has to go somewhere and I believe ours are going to Heaven.
    There are many people I would love to meet in this world that I have not but I believe at times their souls have moved to converge with mine at times.
    Like when you read a good book or a good story or have a good conversation..
    I believe our Souls travel with or without our earthly being alive or dead..
    Have you ever had that chill and wondered what that was.. I remember my mom telling me once that was " death walked by and passed you by" "warmed over by death" I don't know..
    I believe
    I believe
    I believe
    Ray, I would love to read your books..
    I think our souls travel over these internet lines everytime we post here.
    I feel the energy of each of us and it give me Hope..
    We all may never meet on this earth.. but I know I will visit with each of the posters here in heaven someday.. and be so thankful our souls converged while we were here..
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    peterz54 said:

non-believer
    have been a non-believer since a child and grown to accept that many people, good people and bad, hold many beliefs about this concept of an after-life and about gods. what counts to me is how we live our lives now. How we treat one another and other aware beings on this planet.

I have three children, and a wife who will likely not live out the year. It would be nice to think their essense will persist in some way after they pass - something I wish for all good people, but none of it rings true.

What inspires me is how people hold up and try to make a life and do the right thing in the here and now, often under dire circumstances, and it's all the more inspiring when I know they know this is all we have.

Peter
    I read your comment about your 3 children and your wife, I am sorry you will be losing them. I have never seen you write about them, so I didn't know why you will lose them. Lori
  • dmj101
    jjaj133 said:

I caught some of the show.
    I caught some of the show. I don't think it will change anyone's mind. i happen to believe. There are too many unexplained occurrences for there not to be something after this. As you both have said, I am not in a hurry to find out. ; )
    Judy

I agree the show was not
    I agree the show was not persausive at all.. it was more just a stating of the various beliefs... I like the kid who said I don't care if you believe.. I do..
  • dmj101

I definitely believe...
    There has to be some point to this life, but I understand intelligent people -- good people -- can disagree. I don't fear death -- my main concern is preparing my family to go on without me. I don't want them to be sad, but I know that's impossible. But our belief in God is what will help them cope with my passing. I believe I will be reunited with my loved ones that have already passed -- I know they're wating for me, and I will be waiting for those that come after me. These thoughts give me peace, and that's a good thing. Even if I happen to be wrong about these beliefs (I know I'm not), then where's the harm in the peace that me and my family get from these feelings? If we just cease to exist in any shape, form or spirit after death, it doesn't really matter, does it? Dan

It is exactly that believe
    It is exactly that believe that make coping with loss easier..
    See you in Heaven Dan..
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    dmj101 said:

no real answer.. but I

Nice post
    Your last sentence made me laugh :)
    I believe we are here, now, and life is what we make it and how we live it.
    That very simple sentence holds a million philosophical thoughts for me.
    I believe when we die, we change into energy, and I believe that because there are times when I strongly feel my mother's presence, and others who I can't figure out who they are.
    It's a very nice feeling.
    Sharing: Years ago, I was in a very bad accident on the freeway where I hit a drunk driver. :(
    The force was so great that their car flipped, and my passenger's head went into my windshield.
    Yet at that moment I was suddenly outside my car watching the whole thing and I was in a great windstorm....yet there was someone behind me.....with me the entire time.
    I never hit my head, and I'm sure there are many scientific/medical reasons to explain this phenomena, but I KNOW at that moment I touched something outside of reality as we know it.
    Sometimes that feeling comes to me when I see a shaft of sunlight hitting something a certain way, or feel undescribably happy with someone, like my children.
    Things like that are heaven on earth.
    hugs to all,
    tommycat
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

i almost agree with you, i like copying your good bits and addin
    I do believe it exists. Our life is here and our time is now, we should live it to the fullest.

with unconditional love and peace we are all apart of the fabric of the universe, the extent to which we are apart of it is determined by how open our hearts and minds are.

hugs,
    pete

heaven
    I too believe. St Paul said there is faith,hope,and love. With love being the greatest. In heaven we will no longer need faith or hope, only love.
  • YoungerSis62
    YoungerSis62 Member Posts: 28
    danker said:

heaven
    I too believe. St Paul said there is faith,hope,and love. With love being the greatest. In heaven we will no longer need faith or hope, only love.

Heaven
    I saw the Walter's program - what she did was present all views. In my opinion, ironically, it seems all "religions" believe the same thing. It's just the spin on WHY they believe what they believe; i.e. live a good life, be kind and loving to each other, try to let good win over evil, and eventually, after we have fought the good fight (it sure isn't easy to do everything above)our "reward" will be whatever we perceive it to be. I am a Catholic, but found the Jewish perspective very intriguing; i.e. Catholics believe in a "reward system" but the Judean philosphy seems to be live well just to please God - I like that. I over-simplify the differences, ofcourse. But this is the point that sticks with the program's agenda - it was definitely "interesting" and "entertaining"
  • dmj101

Heaven
    I saw the Walter's program - what she did was present all views. In my opinion, ironically, it seems all "religions" believe the same thing. It's just the spin on WHY they believe what they believe; i.e. live a good life, be kind and loving to each other, try to let good win over evil, and eventually, after we have fought the good fight (it sure isn't easy to do everything above)our "reward" will be whatever we perceive it to be. I am a Catholic, but found the Jewish perspective very intriguing; i.e. Catholics believe in a "reward system" but the Judean philosphy seems to be live well just to please God - I like that. I over-simplify the differences, ofcourse. But this is the point that sticks with the program's agenda - it was definitely "interesting" and "entertaining"

i agree... I have said this
    i agree... I have said this many times Religions are about teaching us to live good moral lives... none really want anything bad. they are all about living well and beng a kind loving people.
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    dmj101 said:

i agree... I have said this
    i agree... I have said this many times Religions are about teaching us to live good moral lives... none really want anything bad. they are all about living well and beng a kind loving people.

just my experience
    I've learned a lot since attending a more informative (Bible-based) church. Old church was just the same thing week after week, didn't learn anything.

How my pastor explains if the Bible is "true".......he gets that question a lot.
    He says that the Bible is a book of ancient documents. Different people recorded what they saw and heard. These people lived far away from each other (no internet, no phones, no newspapers, no tv). They did not meet up with each other, didn't even live during the same life span. But, their accounts were basically the same.

I could go on and on, cause this part of life and learning is very important to me. I feel it is my responsibility to learn and seek out facts on something so important.

Also, I hear so many people say that they think if they "try to do good" than that is all that is required. Who determines what is good enough? That has always been my question. Funny..... when I started attending this church every week, I found out that the pastor had already written a book.....HOW GOOD IS GOOD ENOUGH. I read it, and I "get it".

It has been a relief ( i guess that would be one of the descriptions), to have finally found some answers. Before, I was just going through the motions, and I knew, knew, knew, that I was missing the big picture. And for me, the last thing I wanted to do was go through my entire life, and miss the big picture.......that would just be a tragedy (for me).

Every week I continue to learn, and boy is it fascinating. It scares me to think of how really bad I would have handled my diagnosis without knowing what I had recently learned. I'm still scared, but not of where I am headed. That's the only part that gives me any comfort.

My church's messages are on the internet every week. It is watched in around 40 countries.

Another thing I like about my church.....there is so much good, practical advice on relationships (based on Bible principles). Today's problems are no different than those of hundreds... thousands, of years ago. When you have someone who can communicate that in
    the here and now.......it is priceless.

Anyway, just saying what has tremendously helped me (and hubby loves it, too....which is REALLY amazing.......anything to help the marriage.)
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    z said:

Peter
    I read your comment about your 3 children and your wife, I am sorry you will be losing them. I have never seen you write about them, so I didn't know why you will lose them. Lori

sorry
    sorry for the ambiguity Lori. My wife has a very poor prognosis, kids are OK. peter
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    One
    cyle of life is more than enough for me thanks,Ron.
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    ron50 said:

One
    cyle of life is more than enough for me thanks,Ron.

I agree, Ron . I have read
    I agree, Ron . I have read about reincarnation, and that you don't have to come back. One supposedly makes up good karma faster by coming back. Well what is the hurry?? where are they going ? IF this is true, I ain't comin back! no how no way !
    J