Stage 4 gastric cancer...Chemo or surgery no longer an option

alhope
alhope Member Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Stomach Cancer #1
My Mom has Stage 4 stomach cance, DR's won't do surgery or chemo because it's to spread out with mets to the Liver. She hasn't had anything to eat for 2 weeks cause she has an obstruction in her intestines, a lot of vomiting. Yesterday her vomit turned a dark green color almost black and oderless. The DR said that bacteria from her intestines is seeping into her blood stream which caused a fever and her BP to drope 68/42 it's up a little now. What can I do for her? Any alternative treatments out there? Please anything would help...my mon is only 52 years young.

Comments

• tinamae69
    tinamae69 Member Posts: 2
    stomach cancer
    Sounds like you may want to try another cancer care center. I don't understand why they won't do chemo. What is their reason? My wife's stomach cancer has metastasized somewhat and she is getting chemo. What are they doing for the infection? When my wife's blood pressure drops, her lowest 70/46, the cancer care center gives her fluids through infusion and it helps a lot. She gets dehydrated from diarhea, then BP drops. Are they helping your mom when her BP drops? There are plenty of alternatives out there, but I would stick with traditional treatments first.
  • alhope
    alhope Member Posts: 2
    tinamae69 said:

stomach cancer
    Sounds like you may want to try another cancer care center. I don't understand why they won't do chemo. What is their reason? My wife's stomach cancer has metastasized somewhat and she is getting chemo. What are they doing for the infection? When my wife's blood pressure drops, her lowest 70/46, the cancer care center gives her fluids through infusion and it helps a lot. She gets dehydrated from diarhea, then BP drops. Are they helping your mom when her BP drops? There are plenty of alternatives out there, but I would stick with traditional treatments first.

We will when my mom's
    We will when my mom's medical kicks in, It's going to take 6-8 weeks...The DR said she is to weak for chemo now because of the fevers and low BP. They have her in strong anti biotics and fluids through infusion also, my mom can't keep anything in her stomach cause she vomits multiple times a day. She has an obstruction in her intestines that won't let her have any BW movements. They are going to send her home under hospice care soon...I'm currently looking for Vitamin C IV treatment centers or places that will sell it to me. It's my last hope...
  • hopeforJoni
    hopeforJoni Member Posts: 2
    You are not alone
    I can't believe how similar our stories are and I am so sorry that you are having to go through the same thing I am. It is not fair! I just want you to know that you are not alone!

My mom was just diagnosed with Stage IV Stomach Cancer on May 1st which has spread to her liver and near by lymph nodes. It came as a total shock b/c she was extremely healthy and the last person you would expect to get stomach cancer. She is also only 54 years old. 4 weeks ago her stomach started hurting and she thought she had an ulcer so she waited a week to see if it would get better which of course it didn't so she went to the Doctor and the rest is history.

My mom is going through the same thing as your mom were she can hardly eat anything and she is constantly throwing up. She went from being able to work 3 weeks ago to being totally bed-ridden now!!! She is on 2 different oxycontin pain killers and she is still in so much pain and extremely nausea's. It is so hard to see my mom in pain as I know it is for you as well.

My mom is going to be starting Chemo this week which is the only option that was given to her because her cancer is to advanced. I am surprised they are not offering your mom any type of chemo. I would try a different oncologist if I were you because chemo will add to the time you have with your mother.

Again you are not alone! I feel like this is so unfair that our mom's have to be so young and be affected with such a horrible cancer. I will keep you in my prayers
  • Judy C.
    Judy C. Member Posts: 7
    your Mom's cancer
    What does your Mom's doctor say about what can make your Mom more comfortable? Any alternative treatments would probably not be effective in this late stage of cancer. The best thing you can do is to make sure she is comfortable, and have some good talks about what it is she wants. It's a sad thing, this cancer. I was dignosed with stomach cancer May 2011, but fortunately it was caught very early, so I'm doing fine.
    If you are not satisfied with what the Dr. is telling you, be sure to get a second opinion.
    I so sorry you and your Mom are going through this. Sometimes life just isn't fair, is it?
    Judy C.