Thoughts on recent posts/threads

tommycat
tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
On this Board there is a wide variety of personalities and opinions, yet we are all united by cancer, and we're here because we want to support each other and find guidance during the darker times.
For some, cancer is active and in the front of their minds; for others, the cancer may be gone--or only hiding or sleeping.
I see no point of putting on boxing gloves when someone's opinion differs from your own, and I also see no point in popping someone's happiness balloon.
People get mad, offended, disgusted, ruffled.....
In the end we're all afraid.
Afraid that the cancer will come back. Afraid that the chemo will stop working. Afraid that our alternative path might not work after all.
So......
I for one will live each day, support you when things are tough and cheer your accomplishment.
It's my personal sword for fear.

Comments

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    thanks Tommycat - great post!
    I often struggle with putting my german thoughts in english words but you expressed exactly what I was thinking lately.

thanks!
  • Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
    Semira said:

thanks Tommycat - great post!
    I often struggle with putting my german thoughts in english words but you expressed exactly what I was thinking lately.

thanks!

Thank You

Well said and a good reminder. Just yesterday, I posted something and when I later reread it thought "hmmm, I didn't mean that to sound saracastic but it does." I will now read how my words sound before hitting 'post'. Thanks.

Cathleen Mary
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Agreed
    Good Post Tori.
    -p
  • Varmint5
    Varmint5 Member Posts: 384 Member
    You are absolutely right...
    And I absolutely meant everything I said in my response to the balloon bursting attempt. Cancer is terrifying. I lost my husband to it in 2000 and now my only child, a brand new mother to what will be her only child, has it and I cannot bear thinking about what *could* happen.

We all know the realities and statistics. AND we all know that there are those who defy the odds. And I think we all know the power of a positive attitude and positive reinforcement, and the power of keeping hope alive. That's what forums like this are for - support through hard times, camaraderie, sharing and celebrating big and small victories.

My daughter has experienced some victories in this battle and tomorrow has her workup for a liver targeted therapy and our hopes are high. And I am so disappointed that I would not feel comfortable telling her to come onto this forum. Most of you are so wonderful and supportive and I know she could greatly benefit from this. But I can't bear to think what damage some comments could do to her fragile spirit right now. And as her mom, my boxing gloves are on.

I think it's wonderful that people who were once in my daughter's situation are now NED and I celebrate this with them. We all need to hear it can happen. And need to cheer on those who are continuing the battle.

Tommycat, I think you are amazing and your posts are so thoughtful and kind. I love your "personal sword for fear" and need to try to emulate your attitude.

Sandy
  • Calluna
    Calluna Member Posts: 7
    Varmint5 said:

And I absolutely meant everything I said in my response to the balloon bursting attempt. Cancer is terrifying. I lost my husband to it in 2000 and now my only child, a brand new mother to what will be her only child, has it and I cannot bear thinking about what *could* happen.

We all know the realities and statistics. AND we all know that there are those who defy the odds. And I think we all know the power of a positive attitude and positive reinforcement, and the power of keeping hope alive. That's what forums like this are for - support through hard times, camaraderie, sharing and celebrating big and small victories.

My daughter has experienced some victories in this battle and tomorrow has her workup for a liver targeted therapy and our hopes are high. And I am so disappointed that I would not feel comfortable telling her to come onto this forum. Most of you are so wonderful and supportive and I know she could greatly benefit from this. But I can't bear to think what damage some comments could do to her fragile spirit right now. And as her mom, my boxing gloves are on.

I think it's wonderful that people who were once in my daughter's situation are now NED and I celebrate this with them. We all need to hear it can happen. And need to cheer on those who are continuing the battle.

Tommycat, I think you are amazing and your posts are so thoughtful and kind. I love your "personal sword for fear" and need to try to emulate your attitude.

Sandy

I agree, wholeheartedly
    I think we all know the odds inside out, upside down, back to front and probably even sideways. We don't really need constant reminders of how bleak things are. We need those good news stories to remind us that those odds aren't always insurmountable, that people can and do survive this and that life goes on. If we don't have hope, what is everyone fighting so hard for?

I'm a realist. I understand as well as anyone that chances are I'm going to be farewelling someone I am in love with long before his time. I don't come here for reminders of that. I come here because of the amazing spirit of support and camaraderie, and because of the wealth of knowledge and information and understanding and love. It helps me to see that people don't give up. It helps me, when I'm trying so hard to be strong for someone else.

There is no such thing as false hope. Only hope.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Calluna said:

I agree, wholeheartedly
    I think we all know the odds inside out, upside down, back to front and probably even sideways. We don't really need constant reminders of how bleak things are. We need those good news stories to remind us that those odds aren't always insurmountable, that people can and do survive this and that life goes on. If we don't have hope, what is everyone fighting so hard for?

I'm a realist. I understand as well as anyone that chances are I'm going to be farewelling someone I am in love with long before his time. I don't come here for reminders of that. I come here because of the amazing spirit of support and camaraderie, and because of the wealth of knowledge and information and understanding and love. It helps me to see that people don't give up. It helps me, when I'm trying so hard to be strong for someone else.

There is no such thing as false hope. Only hope.

God bless you tommy
    Went to my support group yesterday, another burning candle, I look around and think who has died.

I agree that no such thing as false hope, I know all the things I try are gambles, they are my gambles, they give me hope and make my Days wonderful with purpose.

I so agree caluna, just hope.

Hope was a lighted sign over the portable loos at the cancer Council relay for life.

It must have been 10 meters wide, it flowed in the night brilliantly.

As I prodded along lap after lap at 4am, I focused on Hope.

Hugs,
    Pete
  • JayhawkDan
    JayhawkDan Member Posts: 205
    Varmint5 said:

Sandy

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow
    I hope it goes well for your daughter tomorrow, Sandy. Keep those boxing gloves on and let us know what happens. I'll be praying for you.

And Tommycat -- thanks for the thread. We're here to support each other any way we can. This journey we're all on is difficult enough, and I appreciate all the help and information that I've received from fellow travelers on this board. Dan
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Ditto....the same things I
    Ditto....the same things I think.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Well said. Someone needed to
    Well said. Someone needed to start a post about this subject and I am thankful that you took the initiative.

Jeff
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Yes.
    No other words to add, you said it all, Tommycat.
  • Tresia23
    Tresia23 Member Posts: 77
    Being afraid
    Hi, Thank you for your post. You have expressed so eloquently in words what we sometimes struggle to say ourselves. That is why I come back to this board to read and to share. It is truly about the unconditional support that we give each other to deal with what comes to us each day.
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Ok I gotta ask. What started
    Ok I gotta ask. What started this?I thought things were going pretty well. Sometimes people need to hear they are not alone in their. Fears.must be having a sr. Moment's cause iamb lost.
    judy
  • jjaj133
    Ok I gotta ask. What started this?I thought things were going pretty well. Sometimes people need to hear they are not alone in their. Fears.must be having a sr. Moment's cause iamb lost.
    judy
  • jjaj133
    judy
  • jjaj133
    judy
  • jjaj133
    judy
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    jjaj133 said:

judy

There's No Point
    In revisiting it.
    Don't worry, it will happen again.
    (and asking 6 times won't help!)
    :-)
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    PhillieG said:

There's No Point
    In revisiting it.
    Don't worry, it will happen again.
    (and asking 6 times won't help!)
    :-)

@ Phil
    You crack me up:)))....and you are so right. What goes around always seems to come back around and bites us in the butt once more.

I'm sure the 6 postings was because this site is so slooooooooow more often than not.
  • jjaj133
    Jaylo969 said:

@ Phil
    You crack me up:)))....and you are so right. What goes around always seems to come back around and bites us in the butt once more.

I'm sure the 6 postings was because this site is so slooooooooow more often than not.

i was using my kindle and it
    i was using my kindle and it kept doing weird things. i had no idea it was going through. sorry
  • jjaj133
    cant delete
    !!!