Renal Cell Cancer

2»

Comments

• prayncare
    prayncare Member Posts: 3
    Kidney
    I will be having my right kidney operated on just like you had your left one, and for the same reason. I know sense I was told of the news of the tumor many people now talk to Our Lord, on by behalf, and that is sign's of good that has already come from this already. I wish you all the prayers possible.
  • Maryooo
    Maryooo Member Posts: 3
    STurner68 said:

From another new one....
    Hi, Sunlover,

I'm another newbie, now postop day four after a robotic partial nephrectomy (they took 15% of my kidney). I was discharged yesterday and have started my home recuperation.

How I can identify with that anxiety. It's only been three weeks since the initial ultrasound and symptoms that prompted it to now, but the abyss and I very quickly became old friends. Seriously, the anxiety was going to kill me long before the renal cell was. What I found very helpful was a couple of guided visualization CDs from a company called Health Journeys. For this expedition, I bought the preparing for surgery one and the cancer one. Here's the link for the cancer one:

http://www.healthjourneys.com/category.aspx?cboHealth=13&cboAuthor=55

There are other non-disease-specific ones that are equally lovely. This speaker, Belleruth Naparstek, is my favorite and I have a number of her CDs. I went from requiring Xanax multiple times a day after the diagnostic suspicion to not needing it at all within a week. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even given anything before surgery and felt completely in control of my anxiety. I was anxious, of course. I hadn't had surgery in 40 years, I was freaking starving to death, and the procedure started three hours late. But it was manageable and didn't engulf me. I can't tolerate Valium, which is what they give most folks for surgery, so we just did without. These guided visualization things are quite powerful....and there are affirmations too. I just listened twice a day and my brain held on like it was a life raft. I really feel like my recovery is going so well because the anxiety is kept at bay. I just thought I'd offer it up here. They have a free 15-minute download of a sample guided imagery CD (general health and wellness, I think) and shorter sample cuts of most of their titles, so you can try before you buy. Speaking for myself, my mind can be my greatest enemy. It catastrophizes and is not rational at all. I wanted to get it on a short leash before surgery so that I could have as good an experience as possible, and so far, so good. It doesn't promise to change the reality, it just helped me cope with the reality better. All my best to you ~ Sheila

I had da Vinci robotic
    I had da Vinci robotic surgery 4 weeks ago. My surgery went great. I am scheduled with a 6 month checkup. My cancer was removed. I had 2 small tumors. I only found these by accident after mother died of renal cell, then appro. 1 year ago sister had renal cell. I had scan to check me and accidentally found 2 tumors renal cell. I have healed great and back on my feet again. I know it's impossible not to worry some. I have a fantastic husband and want to live a long happy life without all the worrys of it returning.
  • DDBurkhardt
    DDBurkhardt Member Posts: 13
    Fishknees said:

Welcome
    My cancer was also found looking at my gallbladder.

Surgery is Friday a.m.

I am glad you are home. Take good care of yourself.

Have a great evening.
    Fishing

Radical Nephrectomy
    I am scheduled for a radical nephrectomy on May 22 to have my left kidney removed. My tumor was also found when I was having an MRI for something else. I have my CT scan tomorrow to make sure that the cancer hasn't spread to my lungs, stomach or pelvis. I am scared to death. I was diagnosed last week and have been on all types of web sites reading about kidney cancer. Has anyone had the surgery that is a diabetic? I realize that a person can live w/only one kidney, but I'm wondering if having diabetes puts your good kidney at more risk.

I have to say that reading all the comments on this web site has actually made me feel a little better about the surgery.

I hope there is someone that can shed some light on living w/one kidney and being diabetic.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

Radical Nephrectomy
    I am scheduled for a radical nephrectomy on May 22 to have my left kidney removed. My tumor was also found when I was having an MRI for something else. I have my CT scan tomorrow to make sure that the cancer hasn't spread to my lungs, stomach or pelvis. I am scared to death. I was diagnosed last week and have been on all types of web sites reading about kidney cancer. Has anyone had the surgery that is a diabetic? I realize that a person can live w/only one kidney, but I'm wondering if having diabetes puts your good kidney at more risk.

I have to say that reading all the comments on this web site has actually made me feel a little better about the surgery.

I hope there is someone that can shed some light on living w/one kidney and being diabetic.

Kidney function after surgery
    DD,

Like High Blood Pressure diabities makes it harder to sustain Kidney Function. Some of your kidney function numbers are going to go down after the surgery. Make sure you follow up with a nephrologist after surgery so that your kidney can be more closely monitoried.

Icemantoo
  • kcasper
    kcasper Member Posts: 4
    prayncare said:

Kidney
    I will be having my right kidney operated on just like you had your left one, and for the same reason. I know sense I was told of the news of the tumor many people now talk to Our Lord, on by behalf, and that is sign's of good that has already come from this already. I wish you all the prayers possible.

Thanks all
    Good afternoon, all. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer on November 25h of last year. The day after Thanksgiving. My kids were home for the holiday so that was a blessing. I had cancer in my right kidney and the tumor had moved into and up my Inferior Vena Cava.
    I had my surgery on January, Friday the thirteenth. From that you can tell I am not superstitious. I consider it a lucky day for me. They removed my right Kidney and the tumor from my IVC and reconstructed my IVC. They didn't expect me to survive the surgery, but I fooled them all. I'm still here. I am on a regiment of Sutent every day for four weeks and off two weeks. This is my 2nd round. Side effects terible on my first round. sores im my mouth, nose and throat. They sowered my dosage from 50 to 37 1/2 due to it effedting my liver. Wish me luck on this second round. I'm only 4 days in as of today.
    thanks for letting me join in the conversation.
  • icemantoo
    kcasper said:

Thanks all
    Good afternoon, all. I was diagnosed with kidney cancer on November 25h of last year. The day after Thanksgiving. My kids were home for the holiday so that was a blessing. I had cancer in my right kidney and the tumor had moved into and up my Inferior Vena Cava.
    I had my surgery on January, Friday the thirteenth. From that you can tell I am not superstitious. I consider it a lucky day for me. They removed my right Kidney and the tumor from my IVC and reconstructed my IVC. They didn't expect me to survive the surgery, but I fooled them all. I'm still here. I am on a regiment of Sutent every day for four weeks and off two weeks. This is my 2nd round. Side effects terible on my first round. sores im my mouth, nose and throat. They sowered my dosage from 50 to 37 1/2 due to it effedting my liver. Wish me luck on this second round. I'm only 4 days in as of today.

Hang in there
    kcasper,

Sounds like you have a great attitude even with a less than perfect diagnosis. That should help you ge t thru this and keep fooling the doctors.

Icemantoo
  • icemantoo
    kcasper said:

Thanks all

Hang in there
    kcasper,

Sounds like you have a great attitude even with a less than perfect diagnosis. That should help you ge t thru this and keep fooling the doctors.

Icemantoo
  • alice124
    alice124 Member Posts: 896 Member
    kcasper said:

Thanks all

Keep fighting
    Like my husband's doctor said, "If you have to have kidney cancer--now is the time to have it. There are new breakthroughs being made every day."

You sound like you are a fighter; so keep fighting and keep the faith. There's a reason you made it through the surgery. So realize what those reasons are and embrace them. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    kcasper said:

Thanks all

Welcome to the club...
    kcasper,

Wow, you had to fight your way into this little club the hard way, but you've made it. There is a good group of knowledgeable and supportive people here that will lend a hand whenever needed even if its just to listen when you need to vent.

We understand,

Gary
  • kcasper
    icemantoo said:

Hang in there
    kcasper,

Icemantoo

Thanks Icemantoo
    Thanks for the encouragement. I need all I can get. I'll keep you all posted.
  • kcasper
    alice124 said:

Keep fighting
    Like my husband's doctor said, "If you have to have kidney cancer--now is the time to have it. There are new breakthroughs being made every day."

You sound like you are a fighter; so keep fighting and keep the faith. There's a reason you made it through the surgery. So realize what those reasons are and embrace them. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you too
    Thank you also, alice124. Yes I am a fighter, plus I have a super family headed by my wife whome I call "MY ROCK." She is the reason I continue to fight. Her, My daughter, my son and the rest of my family plus my great friends. That's what it's all about.
  • kcasper
    garym said:

Welcome to the club...
    kcasper,

Wow, you had to fight your way into this little club the hard way, but you've made it. There is a good group of knowledgeable and supportive people here that will lend a hand whenever needed even if its just to listen when you need to vent.

We understand,

Gary

Gary
    Thank you. I'm on my fifth day of this round of Sutent. Hope the news keeps on getting better. I don't look forward to the sores coming back, but it is what it is. We have purchased a new Juicer. Actually it's the Montel Williams device. So when I get my mouth sores again, I'll be drinking my breakfast, lunch and dinner. What ever it takes, I'm game. Thank you all again. I look forward to these great relationships.

Peace and Love.
  • Linda2010
    Linda2010 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sunlover_56 I also had a kidney removed my right because of a mass the size of a baseball on my kidney I had my surgery on feb.11th 2010,, mine was stage 3,, It was very scary,and the anxiety that comes along with just hearing those 3 words you have cancer,,I still have to be checked once a year. but with all the prayers from friends and family I am doing well,,As I am sure you will also. That is the 2nd time that I have heard those words.I was only 28 the first time,and now I am 53 God is Good..I know in my heart you will be healthy again, Have Faith!