5 Year Battle

ClayC
ClayC Member Posts: 5
My Dad started with colorectal in March 2007 at 60 yrs. old. He has gone through 4 surgerys and still it comes back even after post op chemo with mets on the liver. Now the chemo seems to be killing him. Shortness of breath started in January 2012 in conjuction with bile duct problems. That was stinted but still cannot get strength back. His cea is at 90 after being at 120 before they added another chemo 2 treatments ago. His oncologist sent him home today b/c he could tell he was not fit to take another beating with treatment. Not a very good outlook. Hospice is being discussed, my Mom is an angel but I know it's extremely tough. I am sure alot of you have been through similar, can anyone give us advice at this point. I am waiting to discuss with his oncologist and see it a scan schduled. At the end of our rope...

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dear ClayC
    So very sorry to hear about your Dad's situation.

It sounds like he has been doing all he can, but as many here will attest to, chemo can get very rough on the entire body.

Has he had a second opinion regarding his situation or treatment?

Chemo often impacts the white blood cell counts which can cause fatigue and make the body open to infection. A low count can cause the delay of treatment until it comes back up.

Who is it that is discussion Hospice? The doc or is it just discussion among the family?

Your Dad is of an age to have Medicare. Have you looked into what services you can get which might help your Mom in the caregiver responsibilities?

While being the one diagnosed with cancer is no walk in the park, it is definately difficult for our caregivers and those who love us and would do anything to make us better.

Hoping that there is something yet which may be done to turn things around for your Dad.

Hugs for you all,

Marie who loves kitties
  • ClayC

Dear ClayC

It sounds like he has been doing all he can, but as many here will attest to, chemo can get very rough on the entire body.

Chemo often impacts the white blood cell counts which can cause fatigue and make the body open to infection. A low count can cause the delay of treatment until it comes back up.

Who is it that is discussion Hospice? The doc or is it just discussion among the family?

Your Dad is of an age to have Medicare. Have you looked into what services you can get which might help your Mom in the caregiver responsibilities?

While being the one diagnosed with cancer is no walk in the park, it is definately difficult for our caregivers and those who love us and would do anything to make us better.

Hoping that there is something yet which may be done to turn things around for your Dad.

Hugs for you all,

Marie who loves kitties

5 Yr Battle
    Thanks, it was the Doc whom mentioned the "H" word first, but we all just want him to feel better at this point so whatever that means is what we'll do. My wife's Mom is also in a 5 yr breast cancer battle whom has gotten off chemo and feeln great. Not running outside or anything but feeling much better. They're talking about trying again with chemo in low doses so maybe something similar for Dad. Not concerned about a second opinion at this point, his fourth surgery (liver recesection) was at MD, so we tried that. Thanks for you reply. His oncologist is very good but it's a horrible disease for all.
  • ClayC

Dear ClayC

Hugs for you all,

Marie who loves kitties

5 Yr Battle
    Thanks, it was the Doc whom mentioned the "H" word first, but we all just want him to feel better at this point so whatever that means is what we'll do. My wife's Mom is also in a 5 yr breast cancer battle whom has gotten off chemo and feeln great. Not running outside or anything but feeling much better. They're talking about trying again with chemo in low doses so maybe something similar for Dad. Not concerned about a second opinion at this point, his fourth surgery (liver recesection) was at MD, so we tried that. Thanks for you reply. His oncologist is very good but it's a horrible disease for all.
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    5 years
    Five years can really take its toll. Hopefully he can get feeling better by not having treatment this week. Chemo stinks it is so hard on us especially over time. Is the oncologist giving him a strong chemo treatment? Praying he gets feeling better soon. Jeff
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Hi Clay
    Sorry to hear of your Dad. Like others have said the chemo is rough. What exactly is he on?
    I know you've done the second opinion. Were RFA (ablations) discussed or an HAI pump for the liver? The HAI delivers chemo directly to the liver via an implanted pump. Some respected cancer centers discount this therapy while others (like Sloan Kettering where I've been a patient for 8 years) are experts with this therapy.

There are also alternative treatments like diet and TCM that some people have had success with but most oncologists do not promote them. It's similar to orthopedic doctors not being fans of chiropractic care.

It's a nasty disease that people are still trying to understand. There seems to be no one set of rules or treatments that are effective for all.
    I wish your family the best.
    -phil
    (DX Feb 2004 - living with cancer ever since)