UPDATE ON LATEST PSA RESULTS AFTER IMRT

VGAMA & KONGO

LATEST BLOOD TEST RESULTS>>>0.30
THE total PSA went down again from 0.38

Is it possible to keep going lower---wonder when NADIR is reached?

Comments

• Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    Great News
    Rad Hopeful,

Great news. While everyone is different, my understanding is that it can take a few years or more to reach a nadir. As long as you're going down things are working as they are supposed to.

Best wishes for continued good readings.

K
  • Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    You're In Great Shape
    A PSA of 0.30 following radiation treatment is a GREAT result!

Anything below 1 within 2 years following treatment is generally considered a success for post-radiation PCa patients. FWIW, I'm still not there yet but have 6 months left to hope for better results.

You certainly COULD go lower, but I seriously doubt that you'll ever reach the .01 levels of post-surgical PCa patients, since your prostate is still there and functioning to some degree and is giving off prostate specific antigens that the PSA test measures (which is obviously not the case for post-surgical PCa patients).

When is nadir reached? Good question.

I'd suggest that you've reached nadir when your PSA levels do not go down any more but rise AND fall in following tests within a certain range (specific to your situation) within 2 (and maybe even 3-4) years following treatment but that never fall below the lowest level again within that time period.

The variability in these scores should not be a concern as long as there is not a rise of over 5 points (Phoenix indicator) in any one test (or series of tests) or rises in 3 successive tests regardless of the amount of the rise on each occasion (ASTRO indicator).

If either of these situations occur, it "could" be evidence of treatment failure and is a RED FLAG that should prompt you to seek follow-up testing to determine if the cancer has returned and/or spread or not.
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member

You're In Great Shape
    A PSA of 0.30 following radiation treatment is a GREAT result!

Anything below 1 within 2 years following treatment is generally considered a success for post-radiation PCa patients. FWIW, I'm still not there yet but have 6 months left to hope for better results.

You certainly COULD go lower, but I seriously doubt that you'll ever reach the .01 levels of post-surgical PCa patients, since your prostate is still there and functioning to some degree and is giving off prostate specific antigens that the PSA test measures (which is obviously not the case for post-surgical PCa patients).

When is nadir reached? Good question.

I'd suggest that you've reached nadir when your PSA levels do not go down any more but rise AND fall in following tests within a certain range (specific to your situation) within 2 (and maybe even 3-4) years following treatment but that never fall below the lowest level again within that time period.

The variability in these scores should not be a concern as long as there is not a rise of over 5 points (Phoenix indicator) in any one test (or series of tests) or rises in 3 successive tests regardless of the amount of the rise on each occasion (ASTRO indicator).

If either of these situations occur, it "could" be evidence of treatment failure and is a RED FLAG that should prompt you to seek follow-up testing to determine if the cancer has returned and/or spread or not.

Phoenix value "a rise by 2 ng/mL ..."
    I recently posted info about the Phoenix and ASTRO definitions on another thread (Swings thread, in fact). Perhaps there is a typo in Swings post above ("...a rise of over 5 points [Phoenix indicator]...") since the definition for the Phoenix value is generally defined as “a rise by 2 ng/mL or more above the nadir PSA after EBRT with or without HT.” The ASTRO Consensus definition is generally defined as a “PSA failure occurring after three consecutive PSA rises after a nadir…”

The Phoenix definition seems to be favored vs the ASTRO definition and the following sources may be helpful:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.23139/full
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16798415
  • Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    mrspjd said:

Phoenix value "a rise by 2 ng/mL ..."
    I recently posted info about the Phoenix and ASTRO definitions on another thread (Swings thread, in fact). Perhaps there is a typo in Swings post above ("...a rise of over 5 points [Phoenix indicator]...") since the definition for the Phoenix value is generally defined as “a rise by 2 ng/mL or more above the nadir PSA after EBRT with or without HT.” The ASTRO Consensus definition is generally defined as a “PSA failure occurring after three consecutive PSA rises after a nadir…”

The Phoenix definition seems to be favored vs the ASTRO definition and the following sources may be helpful:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.23139/full
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16798415

Thanks for the Correction.
    Yes, the "5 point rise" remark was a "typo."

I was thinking of the 2+ point rise from 3.03 to 5.07 in my post treatment scores which scared the "sh*t" out of me at the time but fortunately dropped back down later.
  • RADIATION HOPEFUL
    RADIATION HOPEFUL Member Posts: 218
    Kongo said:

Great News
    Rad Hopeful,

Great news. While everyone is different, my understanding is that it can take a few years or more to reach a nadir. As long as you're going down things are working as they are supposed to.

Best wishes for continued good readings.

K

THANKS To EVERYONE THAT responded to my question--it is AaPPRECIATED.
  • RADIATION HOPEFUL

Thanks for the Correction.
    Yes, the "5 point rise" remark was a "typo."

I was thinking of the 2+ point rise from 3.03 to 5.07 in my post treatment scores which scared the "sh*t" out of me at the time but fortunately dropped back down later.

THANKS FOR RESPONSES
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE PEPLIES regarding my QUestion---APPRECIATE IT very much.
    I NEVER heard of the PHOENIX or ASTRO studies until now?

Cordially

RAD HOPEFUL
  • VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member

THANKS FOR RESPONSES
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE PEPLIES regarding my QUestion---APPRECIATE IT very much.
    I NEVER heard of the PHOENIX or ASTRO studies until now?

Cordially

RAD HOPEFUL

Expected
    RadHope

Another 25% drop.
    Wonderful news but expected. Nadir is on its way.
    I wonder about your other test results. Could you share info on lipids, testosterone and heart health?
    What about bone health, any osteopenia?

Wishing you a continuous success.

VG
  • RADIATION HOPEFUL

Expected
    RadHope

Another 25% drop.
    Wonderful news but expected. Nadir is on its way.
    I wonder about your other test results. Could you share info on lipids, testosterone and heart health?
    What about bone health, any osteopenia?

Wishing you a continuous success.

VG

PSA reduction
    Hello VG

MY blood tests were fine & lipids all within ranges--the doc wanted me to go on Prolia but I refused. NO bone density tests were done which bothered me & I didn't like what I read about the side affects of PROLIA. I"M currently on the FIRMAGON monthly shot & get PSA tested every two months, I'm very happy the PSA declined down to 0.30 & hope this is a good sign of radiation success

THANKS FOR THE REPLY----I Appreciate it very much

RAD HOPEFUL