Question please!

Is there a VIN that DOES NOT metastasize? My sister-in-law has this and it has returned three times. She wants no more surgery and since it does;nt spread(?)the dr.s will not do radiation or chem. Is there such a thing...a cancer that, given time, doesn't metastasize?

Comments

• ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    Debrajo,
    Sorry no one has

Debrajo,
    Sorry no one has replied to you. This board seems to go silent quite often. I do not know the answer to your question, though I assume she has precancerous cells present which is why it does not mettasize. Vaginal surgery is a tricky business, and unless she is done with sexual activity, I would not recommend the surgery necessary to rid her of this nuisance as it would severely affect quality of life if she is still sexually active. I have heard of woman who have laser surgery or use chemo creams for some issues like these but I also hear this is quite an unpleasant experience. I hope she is doing well and all works out for the best.
  • debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    ccfighter said:

Debrajo,
    Sorry no one has

Debrajo,
    Sorry no one has replied to you. This board seems to go silent quite often. I do not know the answer to your question, though I assume she has precancerous cells present which is why it does not mettasize. Vaginal surgery is a tricky business, and unless she is done with sexual activity, I would not recommend the surgery necessary to rid her of this nuisance as it would severely affect quality of life if she is still sexually active. I have heard of woman who have laser surgery or use chemo creams for some issues like these but I also hear this is quite an unpleasant experience. I hope she is doing well and all works out for the best.

Thanks for the reply..maybe
    Thanks for the reply..maybe a quite board is a heathier board. From what she has told me, it is not precancer, vulva/vigina cancer has reappeared for the third time. She says she knows it's back since she feels a knot and the itching is driving her crazy. I assume she and my brother are active since they are only both 55. I am just afraid ,since she says there is nothing else to cut off or out, that she will not push for other treatment. Thanks again for the reply and best of health to you! debrajo
  • ccfighter
    debrajo said:

Thanks for the reply..maybe
    Thanks for the reply..maybe a quite board is a heathier board. From what she has told me, it is not precancer, vulva/vigina cancer has reappeared for the third time. She says she knows it's back since she feels a knot and the itching is driving her crazy. I assume she and my brother are active since they are only both 55. I am just afraid ,since she says there is nothing else to cut off or out, that she will not push for other treatment. Thanks again for the reply and best of health to you! debrajo

Yeah, I hate HPV! It can be
    Yeah, I hate HPV! It can be unrelenting. I'm back in for chemo tomorrow. Have enjoyed a nice 4 week break after radiation. I have finally felt normal for the first time in a long long time. It's so hard to go back for more. Ugg.
  • debrajo
    ccfighter said:

Yeah, I hate HPV! It can be
    Yeah, I hate HPV! It can be unrelenting. I'm back in for chemo tomorrow. Have enjoyed a nice 4 week break after radiation. I have finally felt normal for the first time in a long long time. It's so hard to go back for more. Ugg.

I sure wish you good
    I sure wish you good luck...I was blessed to have all six treatments of chemo done from Jan. to May combined with the internal radiation, so I got the whole nine yards over with(for now)! So far (I'll know in May) I have been NED for 23 months. Besides the joint ache and lossing all my hair, I have not had the problems soooo many others have had. Normal?what's that!? I haven't been normal since I had my first child! Gave "normal" up for Lent a life time ago!LOL Let us know how you do. My fifth treatment of chemo was worse than all the others, but was not ANYTHING compaired to sooo many! UPSC is just evil, but then so is all cancer! Best, debrajo
  • ccfighter
    debrajo said:

I sure wish you good
    I sure wish you good luck...I was blessed to have all six treatments of chemo done from Jan. to May combined with the internal radiation, so I got the whole nine yards over with(for now)! So far (I'll know in May) I have been NED for 23 months. Besides the joint ache and lossing all my hair, I have not had the problems soooo many others have had. Normal?what's that!? I haven't been normal since I had my first child! Gave "normal" up for Lent a life time ago!LOL Let us know how you do. My fifth treatment of chemo was worse than all the others, but was not ANYTHING compaired to sooo many! UPSC is just evil, but then so is all cancer! Best, debrajo

Cancer is evil! I too have
    Cancer is evil! I too have been lucky to not suffer terrible side effects from treatment. The joint/body aches which I assume are taxol induced, do they ever go away? I haven't had taxol since early feb and still am stiff all over in the mornings, my shoulders ache, and I get up from sitting like an old crippled lady...and I'm only 33! I hope this isn't a permanent side effect. Have your aches eased up? Congrats on the NED! You are lucky to be diagnosed at such an early stage. I hope this remains for you and you are fully cured.
  • debrajo
    ccfighter said:

Cancer is evil! I too have been lucky to not suffer terrible side effects from treatment. The joint/body aches which I assume are taxol induced, do they ever go away? I haven't had taxol since early feb and still am stiff all over in the mornings, my shoulders ache, and I get up from sitting like an old crippled lady...and I'm only 33! I hope this isn't a permanent side effect. Have your aches eased up? Congrats on the NED! You are lucky to be diagnosed at such an early stage. I hope this remains for you and you are fully cured.

Honey, I AM an old woman!
    Honey, I AM an old woman! But I do think the Taxol is the cause of your pain and stiffness and if you are prone to arthritis or other joint problems. It seems like it accelerated my aging quite a bit and seems to have made my carpal-tunnel worse. It took me a full three minutes to get out of bed and get the pins-and- needles out of my hands. Some days I DON'T get out bed. But you are very young and your body can heal itself at your age. I have 60 years of rough wear and tear on mine, including eight pregnancies, six deliveries, and five living children, the last one I had at 42! Have you talked to the dr. about some joint-flex or related meds. Mine were thrilled when I started taking it since I've had several broken bones. Also, when you feel stronger, some light weight-lifting. I wish I could tell you the Taxol stuff will go away, but I still have days where Mortin is my best friend! Most of mine was from the hips down and in the calf of my right leg. I just learned to deal with it. At least if I hurt...I'm alive! You are young and I bet, in time, you will get a lot better! Let me know what goes on with you and how your checkups go..I go back to M.D. Anderson May 21, so keep me in yur prays as I will you! Best, Debrajo
  • outlier
    outlier Member Posts: 12
    ccfighter said:

Taxol effects
    I made it through surgery and chemo relatively unscathed too. It was after treatment that my side effects were at there worst. I had my last dose of chemo (Taxol, Carboplatin, and Avastin) on November 13th, 2011. I couldn't even feel my feet and hands by January. I cut my foot open and didn't even realize it until I saw the blood! The muscle and joint pain, coupled with extreme fatigue, made it impossible to do much of anything. But now it's May....There are still days when I am very achy and sore, but I just keep moving slowly until the kinks work themselves out. I have started exercising again (swimming and yoga) and that has helped a lot. I also recommend massage. I swear, my massage therapist has done more to speed my recovery than anything or anyone else has. Give your body time to heal, and accept the fact that the process will probably take longer than you think it should. I figure that I spent 11 months in active cancer treatment, so it is not unreasonable to think recovery may take that long as well. Best of luck to you.