new girl on the block

judyfain
judyfain Member Posts: 7
I recently had a radical neprectomy the old fashioned way, due to Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. I was not informed of all the mysterious things and pains I would be having. My ribs hurt so bad afterward, and still today I have difficulty sleeping because I can not sleep on my back all night. My surgery was 27 days ago. How long does it take for all the swelling to go away? When will I be able to comfortably wear my pre-surgery clothes. My skin on that side seems to be very sensitive and it litterally hurts. My incision split 3 weeks into healing after I guess rolling over on my side, which I soon discovered, still couldn't do. When will I feel normal. I get so fatigued, and realize I am in pain, and want to cry. I wanted to go back to work after the 4th week but I just cant see that happening, not the way I feel and with part of it open.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Welcome,
    Judy,

Welcome to our little club. Usually you should be able to go back to work in 4 to 6 weeks and wear normal clothes. However you appear to have some complications with your incision and that is going to extent the time for both. The same with sleeping normally. You and your doctor will know when you are ready. Do not rush it. You have already had a minor set back on the road to recovery. You do not want to delay your recovery by doing too much to soon. The fact that your incision split means that you will not fall within every body elses back to work experience. Hopefully in a week or two you will feel much better.

Best wishes,

Icemantoo
  • MikeK703
    MikeK703 Member Posts: 235
    Post surgery
    Hi Judy,
    Hang in there. An open neprectomy is always tougher to bounce back from than a laproscopic. Things will improve and you'll be back to normal in no time. But don't be shy about contacting your doctor if and when you get nervous about something. My doctors probably cursed the day emails were invented because I bombarded them with questions after my surgery. Regards,
    Mike
  • jenbuffy
    jenbuffy Member Posts: 4
    weird pains
    Hi there. I had a radical nephrectomy in 2008. I completely understand about the weird pains you have. The rib pains is of course from having a rib removed to get to your kidney. There is also a nerve (or is it a blood vessel?) that runs from your kidney around to your stomach. During surgery, it was damaged or moved out of the way. That is a weird pain that goes away within a few months but not totally until about 9 months-1 year. It sounds like you have had an issue with your incision, so the healing time will be longer than one that had no complications. I still don't wear regular clothes, not because it hurts anymore but because I got so used to wearing non-binding pants and no pantyhose that I will never go back to those :)

As far as feeling normal, that will be a while, but it will happen. One thing I know for sure is that you will never be the same person you were before kidney cancer. All of our experiences mold us and this is no exception. You are now in the survivors club and you have the ability to help others who are facing the same situation. But not yet......you need to take the time to heal and don't rush it. If you must go back to work, wear loose-fitting pants, no panty hose and rest when you get home. It will take time, but it will happen, I promise!
  • MikeK703
    jenbuffy said:

weird pains
    Hi there. I had a radical nephrectomy in 2008. I completely understand about the weird pains you have. The rib pains is of course from having a rib removed to get to your kidney. There is also a nerve (or is it a blood vessel?) that runs from your kidney around to your stomach. During surgery, it was damaged or moved out of the way. That is a weird pain that goes away within a few months but not totally until about 9 months-1 year. It sounds like you have had an issue with your incision, so the healing time will be longer than one that had no complications. I still don't wear regular clothes, not because it hurts anymore but because I got so used to wearing non-binding pants and no pantyhose that I will never go back to those :)

As far as feeling normal, that will be a while, but it will happen. One thing I know for sure is that you will never be the same person you were before kidney cancer. All of our experiences mold us and this is no exception. You are now in the survivors club and you have the ability to help others who are facing the same situation. But not yet......you need to take the time to heal and don't rush it. If you must go back to work, wear loose-fitting pants, no panty hose and rest when you get home. It will take time, but it will happen, I promise!

Welcome
    Hi Jenbuffy,
    I see you joined back in August. A belated welcome. Glad you decided to post. It's always helpful for the newbies here to hear of others' experiences. And terrific advice about the pantyhouse. I think I'll stop wearing mine also :)
    Mike
  • jenbuffy
    jenbuffy Member Posts: 4
    MikeK703 said:

Welcome
    Hi Jenbuffy,
    I see you joined back in August. A belated welcome. Glad you decided to post. It's always helpful for the newbies here to hear of others' experiences. And terrific advice about the pantyhouse. I think I'll stop wearing mine also :)
    Mike

Don't stop wearing them on my account .....lol
    Mike,

When you stop wearing your pantyhose, you'll wonder what sadist invented them and why did you wear them for so long? :)

Thanks for the welcome. I should have posted sooner, knowing that we who have been through it have the ability to offer priceless assurance and advice.....

When was your RCC? Did you have a radical?

Jennifer
  • MikeK703
    jenbuffy said:

Don't stop wearing them on my account .....lol
    Mike,

When you stop wearing your pantyhose, you'll wonder what sadist invented them and why did you wear them for so long? :)

Thanks for the welcome. I should have posted sooner, knowing that we who have been through it have the ability to offer priceless assurance and advice.....

When was your RCC? Did you have a radical?

Jennifer

RCC
    Hi Jen,
    August 2010, left radical laproscopic.